Alternatives to PCIe sound card?

Associate
So I know nothing about audio.

I have a pair of ATH-m50's that I love to death. I've stuck a modmic on there. Love it. I find the sound and mic quality acceptable for both music and playing CS. That's all I need.

I hate the sound quality straight off the motherboard though, its especially bad for properly operating the modmic, sounds dreadful. My solution was to use a PCIe sound card. Sounds great, both headphones and mic. Fits the bill for music and CS, everything I need.

Z370 mobo availability is too slow for me - thinking I might have to use a board without additional PCIe slots for my next build. That means I can't use an additional sound card in there, and seeing as the board isn't going to be top of the line either, it means that the sound straight off the mobo will probably be even worse.

I don't care what I spend. Is there anything I can do to get audio quality that's as good (or better) as what I was getting from the PCIe sound card when I no longer have expansion slots on this new board? As I say, I know nothing, so suggestions are appreciated.

Soldato
You need a USB DAC with gaming features.

Have a peek at the Creative Sound BlasterX G5, or the ASUS Xonar U7. Both decent options.

Once you go external you will never go back to internal. :)

Soldato
Unless you need something to work with other devices, like a console, the E5 would be a better choice than the G5; and cheaper too.

They are both similar, but the G5 is battery powered for portable use and has Bluetooth connection as well. If you need it to work with PC and nothing else, I'd save the £50 and get a E5.

U7 is also good, although the E5/G5 has a much better headphone amp. M50's don't need much driving, so the U7 will be fine. If you decide to get more demanding headphones though at any time, likely the U7 won't have enough for them.

Back
Top Bottom