Am I old or do Audi just have no clue on how to do Sport chassis.

Soldato
Lovely places to be, other half has a new a3 2.0 tdi quattro - the diesel engines almost as silent as a petrol, pulls like a train but boy does it UNDERSTEER, even with all driver aids off it was hard to induce lift off oversteer.. However its not beyond firm even with the sports suspension. Its so bloody dull and safe, still i guess thats what the demographic are after, something that looks good and is safe.

A new A3 2.0TDI Quattro? Didn't think there was such a thing. And assuming its the same engine as was in my Golf 2.0TDI, it certainly isn't silent!

Soldato
My other half has a A4 2.0 TDI, I hate it:-

1. I can never seem to start it has stupid fob/push thing.
2. There isn't a handbrake, just a daft flappy button.

I just couldn't own a car with these two "features", they are just annoying me beyond belief!

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Soldato
My other half has a A4 2.0 TDI, I hate it:-

1. I can never seem to start it has stupid fob/push thing.

I just couldn't own a car with these two "features", they are just annoying me beyond belief!

HEADRAT

The handbrake statement I guess I will let slide but whats wrong with push button ignition? Get in car, keep fob in pocket, push button. :confused:

Most modern cars are going this way so like it or lump it. :p

Caporegime

I grew to love this pretty quickly to be honest. I love the fact that as long as I'm in gear with my seatbelt on, I can set off normally without having to touch the button, this is great for hill starts :)

The only slight concern is that electronic failure would leave me stranded.

I'd certainly choose electronic parking brake over traditional handbrake given the choice.

Man of Honour
The handbrake statement I guess I will let slide but whats wrong with push button ignition? Get in car, keep fob in pocket, push button. :confused:

Most modern cars are going this way so like it or lump it. :p

That's only if you have comfort access or similar, which is usually an extra option. Without it you normally need to put the key in the dash then you can push the button.

Used to drive me mad, seemed like a pointless gimmick over just turning the key.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21659887 said:
That's only if you have comfort access or similar, which is usually an extra option. Without it you normally need to put the key in the dash then you can push the button.

Used to drive me mad, seemed like a pointless gimmick over just turning the key.

Hmm, come to think of it I think my manager's A5 is like that. The slot is in the dash, just left of the steering wheel. And you have to put the key in and push the actual key in from what I can remember. :)

I was thinking of what my dad has in his jag xf, where its how close the fob is to the vehicle and then you can start it. Though even if someone starts the car's engine and walks off with fob in the pocket, the engine seems to still run. Don't know how far you could drive it without it realising though. :p

Permabanned
OP
I hate these features too head rat. But most cars are going this way. Well all the cars I was looking at anyway. I mean how am I going to do a hand brake turn now ! But the starting faff is annoying. Clutch and brake in and then push a key in. Its an unnecessary complication IMO.

Permabanned
OP
Woohoo - how much is it setting you back if you dont mind me asking?

On the S-Line suspension, its never caused me any problems, i dont notice its overly hard but it has to be said that Audi could improve their damping a bit. Likewise I dont have a problem with brake feel or steering, its a car, i like cars, it gets me from A-B and i'm not out to be a racing driver on the roads. You can drive like a nob on track days, no need to take every corner with tyres squeeling on the limit cos its cool - its not.

With private fuel its costing 180. Had I not gone for the options it would have been 130.

Soldato
Surprised to read that these Audi's are hard riding, always found Audi's bland to look at and drive but comfy and safe to drive. I test drove a few A4's (older models mind) and they are so bland to drive, devoid of any feel, the steering, gearbox and pedals feel like a Logitech G25, but then again Audi's were never a drivers car, ended up settling with an older Accord, can't beat it's all roundedness and that classic Honda double wishbone setup and the multi-rear link's coupled with a lovely chassis :) oh and a proper hydraulic steering, can't stand the electronic shizzle that come in some cars, mostly new ones.

Last edited:
Associate
Surprised to read that these Audi's are hard riding, always found Audi's bland to look at and drive but comfy and safe to drive. I test drove a few A4's (older models mind) and they are so bland to drive, devoid of any feel, the steering, gearbox and pedals feel like a Logitech G25, but then again Audi's were never a drivers car, ended up settling with an older Accord, can't beat it's all roundedness and that classic Honda double wishbone setup and the multi-rear link's coupled with a lovely chassis :) oh and a proper hydraulic steering, can't stand the electronic shizzle that come in some cars, mostly new ones.

lol. i had the same model accord as you for 4 years (2ltr se exec) and besides bullet proof reliability id take an audi any day of the week tbh.

Soldato
When my mother was buying her previous car we tested an E46 320d and the A4 1.9TDI. We went with the Audi because it was the car to soak up the miles without fuss - not saying the E46 wouldn't do the same but the E46 was more for a driver than a muncher of miles - I enjoyed the E46 and found the Audi dull. You drove the E46, the Audi drove you. This isn't a car X vs Y post either before anyone starts.

Its been a bit of a surprise quite how hard the ride is in her car. I've been thinking I might change my wheels over with hers and see if that makes a difference. I don't believe the suspension is different from one to the other - although the Avant might be softer being an estate but I doubt it. It doesn't seem to bother her now she is used to it but I was considering (and might) swapping the SLine suspension for SE.

Soldato
lol. i had the same model accord as you for 4 years (2ltr se exec) and besides bullet proof reliability id take an audi any day of the week tbh.

Really, even for the drive? Audi will probably be a nicer place to sit in and the ones I have driven and been passenger in had a really nice smooth ride, but I'd still take an Accord any day, they are much better to drive.

Associate
Really, even for the drive? Audi will probably be a nicer place to sit in and the ones I have driven and been passenger in had a really nice smooth ride, but I'd still take an Accord any day, they are much better to drive.

in every way including to drive tbh. mine even had the honda "handling pack" etc.

Soldato
To be honest I find that Audi, BMW & Benz have this stiff suspension issue.

Had a 525D M Sport & thank the Lord that the lease expired on it. I've now got myself the 530SE with the dynamic suspension thingy. So much more comfortable

Associate
to be fair though it was damn cheap and i was looking for something cheap to run. the only thing i truly hated was that stoopid revvy engine in a cruiser. iirc and this was maybe 10 years ago it was 10k for a car with 9000mls and 13months old. basically a honda hq staff lease car they were getting rid of by the bucket load as the then new accord was coming.

Soldato
to be fair though it was damn cheap and i was looking for something cheap to run. the only thing i truly hated was that stoopid revvy engine in a cruiser. iirc and this was maybe 10 years ago it was 10k for a car with 9000mls and 13months old. basically a honda hq staff lease car they were getting rid of by the bucket load as the then new accord was coming.

They are ridiculously cheap even now :p banger money can get you a really clean well looked after example, not the cheapest to run if your after a daily runner, 2.0 can drink fuel, especially with the current petrol prices. One of the reason I went for it is the revvy VTEC ;), unfortunately it's not a proper VTEC, but I can't imagine owning a car that i can't rev the nuts off.

Back
Top Bottom