Am I old or do Audi just have no clue on how to do Sport chassis.

Permabanned
I Just placed the order for my new Company car, I tried a fair few cars, but kept coming back to the A4, as its just a nice place to be.

They have just facelifted the A4, and its looks smart, the marketing blurb goes on about revised suspension, so I had high hopes about the S-line. And guess what? Its still rock bloody hard, Im either getting old, or Audi just dont know how to do sporty without making the cars ride horribly.

Ive gone for an Avant, SE Technik, 143 model. Its just rode so much better, as i saved lots by going for that, I just specced the car up with some usefull extras like Xenons,Heated leather, fancy nav and sound pack and best of all, a powered boot lid (im officially ooooold!).

Had BMW pulled their finger out, I would have gone for a 3 series tourer, but the new one isnt out for ages, the Merc C class, was lovely but the manual gearbox and steering were shockingly poor on the C220 CDI Sport.

Associate
How old are you? I'm 29 and a friend of mine is on his 2nd A4 S-Line and I don't like the ride. Both have been quite harsh even compared to my old car on coilovers. Unfortunately some companies do think more stiffness = more sportiness. Another friend has an A4 without the S-Line kit and I much prefer the ride in that.

Associate
Lovely places to be, other half has a new a3 2.0 tdi quattro - the diesel engines almost as silent as a petrol, pulls like a train but boy does it UNDERSTEER, even with all driver aids off it was hard to induce lift off oversteer.. However its not beyond firm even with the sports suspension. Its so bloody dull and safe, still i guess thats what the demographic are after, something that looks good and is safe.

Caporegime
I have to admit, coming from a 330d sport to my A6 S-Line, I found the ride to be a lot more supple than the BMW.

The smaller you get, the harder the suspension/chassis seems to get though. When I took out an A1 185PS S-Tronic, I found that to be rediculously hard with it's 18" wheels.

I guess the new A3 will be similar too.

Soldato
My mother and I both have B7 A4 SLine. Haven't quite worked out why but hers is a much harder ride than mine. I think its something to do with the tyres - hers are not long for changing, mine are new so I think theres a bit more give in them. The wheels are both 18s but hers are the 5 spokes and mine are the BBS CH.

I've put an RS4 rear anti roll bar on mine and its taken a lot of the understeer out. I'll not have cheapo coil overs near my car but will get a Bilstein/Eibach combo put on in the near future. I'm told its not any firmer than OE but will lower it a bit (stance and all that)

Associate
It has been said that Alpina got suspension right, a balance of sporty with real world comfort. Most sports setups are just exaggerated so that reps can feel like jason plato while sat on the m6.

Soldato
my "fun" car is/was an old gti on coilovers with polybushes etc etc it barely any movement in the suspension.

i thought the ride on an "s line" a4 was overly hard for a) what car it is b) how the car actually responded in the corners

maybe it gives know-nothings the impression theyre in a proper sporty car??

Soldato
I've got a new A3 S-Line Black Edition and it's quite solid. Loads of my colleagues complain about the Audi's ride but I don't find it that bad. It might be down to being used to driving a lowered car that means I don't notice it so much. :D I'll second what's been said about the diesels being quiet and driving like petrols, I've been pleased with both my Audi diesels.

New A4 looks nice, particularly the Avant so congrats and happy motoring.

Man of Honour
It's an Audi flaw, they are **** at damping pretty much across their range of cars and also usually over servo their brakes, remove any sense of feeling from their steering and generally provide a poor riding, handling and feeling car. Don't believe their hype, the S-Lines with big wheels are bloody awful.

Permabanned
OP
I was checking out the new A4's today and they are v.nice. The standard level of kit on these is excellent as well; even the SE comes with loads of gadgets.

Well I did want the S-line, but the suspension and the lack of kit put me off.

As it stands, the Se-Technik, comes with leather,basic sat nav and parking sensors. Ive then added DAB, the super dooper satnav as it was only £300 more,powered tailgate,uber stereo, the twinkly bendy lights and a few other small odds and sods.

Believe or not, thats costing me less than a Passat and the same as a Skoda Superb. I need an Estate or a Hatchback, so there wasnt much in the way of choice, as a lot of nice estates arent all that big tbh.

Clarkey, the ride isnt bad, it just seems overy harsh and jiggly for the kind of car it is,i could understand the harshness if it actually handled well.I think my Accord handles better.

Permabanned
Woohoo - how much is it setting you back if you dont mind me asking?

On the S-Line suspension, its never caused me any problems, i dont notice its overly hard but it has to be said that Audi could improve their damping a bit. Likewise I dont have a problem with brake feel or steering, its a car, i like cars, it gets me from A-B and i'm not out to be a racing driver on the roads. You can drive like a nob on track days, no need to take every corner with tyres squeeling on the limit cos its cool - its not.

Associate
my old A6 S-line rode great with a supple but controlled behaviour. it definately rides better than a 5 series m sport of the same age, which seems very wooden in comparions....... however i went to london in my colleagues 12 plate A4 black edition and it was unbearable! tramlining all the way down the motorway, with constant correction on the wheel. horrendous motorway car.

Back
Top Bottom