Am I that nasty, really?

Man of Honour
just seeking opinions here, certainly not justification.
Last night, watching TV, wife's phone rings.
I freeze the TV, and peruse the paper, waiting for her call to finish.
From her conversation, it's obvious that she's talking first with her brother's wife, then her brother.
She asks a few questions, then says, "I'll check, then call you back", disconnects and picks up her laptop, starts punching keys, scanning the screen intently, then asks me for a pen and some paper.
When she calls her sister-in-law back, she starts giving street names and bus numbers, train departure times, this one is a six minute walk, this one is eleven minutes etc. etc.
It materialised that her brother and his wife are going to York for a couple of days, and want to visit some friends in Manchester afterward, then fly back to London.
They'd asked her to look for methods of getting from Blank St. York, to Some Street Manchester, via bus or train, what the fare would be, and where were the bus and train stations in relation to their hotels in both cities.
I was amazed, and said, "You're kidding surely, have they both been paralysed, or struck with dyslexia?"
"Why?" she said, "he's not as clever as you, he doesn't know how to search for these things."
I said, "Clever? All I've ever done is drive a truck or a taxi, that's not rocket science, and I can book a flight online in seconds, he's a 53 y.o. office manager, and she works in admin, you must be nuts in not telling them to do it themselves."
She raised her voice, and told me, "You are one horrible person, you nasty (rhymes with shunt).
Was I wrong in being incredulous and more than a little annoyed at this?
I don't care about what she called me, she does that when she gets the zig, water off a duck's back.

Caporegime
lots of people don't use Google maps.

it now does bus train taxi everything better than each operator's site as it amalgamates them all plus traffic reports etc

tell her to get them to get the app.

the other reason is theyre abroad so may not have much mobile data

Don
There are lot of people out there who cannot use Google or National Rail Enquiries or pretty much anything online. They are frightened by it all and prefer to get someone else to do it for them.
I see it every day with teachers. Many of them can barely operate a computer let alone find something online that they haven't learned how to get to parrot-fashion.

So yes, you need to show some patience with such people.

Caporegime
I would be more concerned that my wife used the 'c' word than her willingness to help her inept brother and sister in law.

Yep - My girlfriend of 7 years has never called me the C word in anger. I don't know how I would even react to that.

OP. Without knowing the inns and outs of your relationship though, hard to say.

In isolation - That seems very harsh of her to say. I do know some people who have no clue how to search for stuff like that though.

Back
Top Bottom