Am I too young for a Rover 75?

Soldato
I'm having a browse around at sub £4k diesels and I keep coming back to these.

I've never really bothered with them, but you seem to get a hell of a lot for your money, and there also seems to be a massive selection of them.

For my money, I reckon I could get a 2001/2002 75 CDT in a variety of trims for <£3500. Hmmm

Am I insane to be thinking of one of these? I'm 23 this year :eek:

Is there anything drastically wrong with them, aside from the old man stigma? :D

Soldato
OP
Muncher said:
No, they're a bargain at the minute, if I needed a second car I'd snap one up! (I'm 22)

Exactly my thoughts, do seem to be at really good prices at the moment and lots of places also seem to be keen to get rid of them, so there could be deals to be had.

I don't really mind the image problem tbh it's only for the trip to work and back, and from what I've heard they're just like driving a sofa on wheels :cool:.

Plus, if I can get one cheap enough, it could leave an option open for a 'fun' car ;)

Soldato
They are a nice place to be.

Fantastic interior in my view, lovely seat, excellent ride and very quiet. I've been in loads of them and they seem to be put together pretty well.

Soldato
The 75 is the only thing that stops the entire rover board burning in hell for crimes against motering.
Its a good car, even at proper prices.

Soldato
OP
There's one not too far from work, price is a bit much for what it is, but I might arrange a drive.

I think all the CDT diesel engines are BMW ones, but not 100% sure on that. What are they like parts wise?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I had one for a year until recently.
First things first, absolutely RUBBISH sports car. Once you've got past that, awesome.
45mpg, the diesel engine is a 2ltr BM unit, in two states of tune i.e. lethargic and very lethargic. The engine is not perfect at standstill as it shakes the car a little (no worse than most diesels though), once on the move, VERY quiet, relaxed and easy to deal with. Will cruise all day long at more than adequate speeds.
The right spec is the Con, which has cruise control, full leather, heated seats, split climate control, a good Alpine sourced CD stacker etc etc. The suspension is definitely NOT setup like most german cars. I find a lot of BMs and Audis seem to like shaking your teeth out to prove it's a "sports saloon". The 75 is NOT like that. Instead is nearly well controlled, and setup to be comfortable over roads that you'd be sick on if in an Audi.
If you want something cheap to run and VERY comfortable, but don't care about being a hooligan occasionally, I struggle to think of a better car for the money.

Hope that helps.
BTW, in the year that I owned the car, NOTHING went wrong on mine and it was a pleasure to own.
Only swapped to an MX5 because I fancied being a bit of a nutter again.

Soldato
OP
Mr_Sukebe said:
I had one for a year until recently.
First things first, absolutely RUBBISH sports car. Once you've got past that, awesome.
45mpg, the diesel engine is a 2ltr BM unit, in two states of tune i.e. lethargic and very lethargic. The engine is not perfect at standstill as it shakes the car a little (no worse than most diesels though), once on the move, VERY quiet, relaxed and easy to deal with. Will cruise all day long at more than adequate speeds.
The right spec is the Con, which has cruise control, full leather, heated seats, split climate control, a good Alpine sourced CD stacker etc etc. The suspension is definitely NOT setup like most german cars. I find a lot of BMs and Audis seem to like shaking your teeth out to prove it's a "sports saloon". The 75 is NOT like that. Instead is nearly well controlled, and setup to be comfortable over roads that you'd be sick on if in an Audi.
If you want something cheap to run and VERY comfortable, but don't care about being a hooligan occasionally, I struggle to think of a better car for the money.

Hope that helps.
BTW, in the year that I owned the car, NOTHING went wrong on mine and it was a pleasure to own.
Only swapped to an MX5 because I fancied being a bit of a nutter again.

Cheers for the input. Which variant did you own?

I'm not worried at all about behaving like a nutter in it, it'll just be for cruising on a motorway.

The trim level I'd really want is the Connoisseur, do you know what else the Connoisseur SE has (if any)? Also, was cruise standard on the con's?

ta :)

Soldato
All MG/Rover cars are at the moment... astounding value for money.

My dad has his eye on a ZT 190... for just a tad under £7000!

That's a hell of a lot of car for the money!!

Soldato
They're not bad cars at all - in fact they're the best car Rover has made for many years!

My Dad has owned two - a 2l V6 Club Saloon (2001Y) and a 2004 (04) (pre-facelift) CDTi Con SE Estate

Both are very comfortable and refined. I've never driven them but my Dad's happy - he says the estate (pre-facelift) handles better than the saloon. The Diesel seems fast enough. It's noisy on startup, at standstill and under hard acceleration (still very good for a diesel though) but very quiet on the move

The refinement is top notch too. The V6 was a little thirsty, only returning about 27mpg. The diesel returns about 45 (mixed driving but not much motorway stuff)

The standard CDT and 1.8 (non turbo) are said to be a bit lethargic

Soldato
lol...I'm sure they're going to be a rubbish sports car - they're not even close to being one, or trying to be one :p

ZT V8 - can be had for £12k. "evo" rated them as being as good as an EVO8, but in a totally different way.

Soldato
The Connoisseur SE has the following things different. Though i could have missed some.

Colour coded floor mats
Rear parking sensor as standard
Chromed door mirror caps
Front fogs
Wood trim steering wheel
Wood gear knob
Driver's seat memory
Electric front seats
Heated front seats as standard

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I had a CDT Con SE. The std Con does have leather, and a good deal of the toys, but is missing the better stereo and a number of other nice but not essential elements.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom