AMAZON FIRE TV BOX CONNECTION TO ONKYO TX NR609 RECEIVER NO SOUND FROM SPEAKERS.

Associate
Advise please, i have got the receiver with 5.1 speaker system connected to the samsung tv with hdmi no problem all fine, so i have an amazon fire tv box and would like to have that connected to the receiver for surround sound especially for films but there is no sound when i select external speakers from the tv menu i get sound ok when watching sky with external speakers may be i have it connected wrong ? set up = the receiver and the fire box is connected to the tv with hdmi i also have the fire tv box connected to the receiver with one cable that has hdmi one end for receiver and other end usb to the fire box if i have the connections wrong can some one give me idiot proof instructions please.

Man of Honour
Your AV receiver has something called Standby Through. This means that even when the receiver is in standby, it will still pass through a signal connected to one of the HDMI inputs. For this reason, if you're using a splitter to connect the Fire TV to the TV and amp simultaneously then you should remove it.

Connect Fire TV to the Onkyo
Complete the Input Assign process on the Onkyo - see page 43 of the Onkyo manual
- your settings should include audio via HDMI
Do the audio settings on the Fire TV.
- The online documentation doesn't give any real details about what's available, so FYI: PCM is generally basic stereo wioth Dolby Surround support (it can be multichannel, but since that requires that the source device has built-in decoding then it's more likely to be basic stereo). Bitstream is what you need to get at the Dolby Digital, DTS and HD Audio tracks if they're carried by the programme content. Setting to Bitstream covers both bases, so you'll get HD audio if present, and if not then it will carry PCM.

Your Onkyo amp should default to HDMI audio first, then Optical/Coax as second choice, then finally analogue audio.

From the information you supplied, this should cover all you need.

Associate
I've got the Amazon TV connected to my Marantz SR6011, sometimes if I turn the amp on no sound comes through the speakers on either the TV or the amp, almost like the amp half wakes up. Usually turning the amp off and back on again fixes things (you'd think it was running Windows!).

Man of Honour
With the amp on and set up correctly there should be no sound from the TV speakers.

When the amp is off (and correctly set to Pass Through mode) then sound should come from the TV speakers.

There really is no mode of normal use where you need the TV speakers playing at the same time as the surround kit.

Where you've set the amp or something else in the chain to an "amp & speakers" setting then that will cause you issues. This is because the two devices (TV and amp) have different sound capabilities. That neans the Fire TV will be getting conflicting information. The HDCP handshake will default to the lowest common denominator, but that may not happen glitch free every time.

This is best estimate based on the little bit of info you have provided.

Back
Top Bottom