Amazon Prime Music versus Spotify Premium

Soldato
I was looking for some suggestions from people for the best online music streaming service.

I currently have a one year plan with Amazon Prime Music as it was much cheaper than Spotify (£79 a year versus £9.99 a month) but it is quite a hard desktop application to use, and I'm wondering if I should switch to Spotify?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions for music streaming services?

Music is essential to me so having a decent music streaming subscription is critical.

Caporegime
Download free Spotify and try it.. the desktop version should let you experience all of it. See it's functions, library etc.

The free mobile version is quite limited.

I've never used anything but Spotify. So can't comment further.

Soldato
OP
Download free Spotify and try it.. the desktop version should let you experience all of it. See it's functions, library etc.

The free mobile version is quite limited.

I've never used anything but Spotify. So can't comment further.

Been doing a bit of research and might have a look at Tidal as well. That seems like an exciting option. Just got set up with the free version of Spotify and it looks OK so far. The desktop application is so much better than the Amazon desktop application.

Soldato
Prime Music is a nice little bonus as part of an overall prime sub but I wouldn't want to rely on it as a sole source of music, the library is quite small. Amazon's proper music product is 'Amazon Music Unlimited' and is probably comparable to Spotify in terms of price.

Soldato
Because I'm with the open uni I qualify for half price on both so have both, will probably keep amazon prime when I graduate but will be hard pressed giving up spotify, it's got a much better library of hardstyle and metal stuff that I listen to most. Also odd german electro pop bands and stuff. If you only listen mainstream pop then Amazon is probably fine. Best thing to do is search for all your favourite bands and see which has them. Spotify premium downloads is great for travel though.

You can tie Shazam with Spotify in that Shazam'd tracks will be added to Spotify, but not all of the time. If Shazam picks up the track ok and Spotify doesn't, then you have to type in the artist + song title in Spotify to bring it up. Most of the time it does find it. Not sure why the link between the 2 services doesn't always work. Very occasionally Spotify doesn't pick up the track at all due to its rarity or it might be a remix.

Associate
I get the Spotify family bundle for 15 a month and share the sub with 5 other people .just get them all to put the same home address when they sign up and it cones to 2.50 per month. Winner .

Soldato
OP
Prime Music is a nice little bonus as part of an overall prime sub but I wouldn't want to rely on it as a sole source of music, the library is quite small. Amazon's proper music product is 'Amazon Music Unlimited' and is probably comparable to Spotify in terms of price.

Sorry. That is the one I meant. I find the desktop and mobile applications terrible. I really want to find something a bit better. I like the way Spotify handles finding new music. Much better than Amazon Music Unlimited.

Soldato
They all offer free trials so i'd recommend giving them all a go. Personally I use Spotify which I'm very fond of but I have been meaning to give Apple Music, Google play and Tidal a try because of the free trials on offer.

Associate
If music is critical to you then just sticking with the bundled version with Amazon Prime probably isn't the way to go given the limited library it has. I'm not in to music in a big way (90s dance, Pink Floyd and the more famous operas are the extent of my taste) and even I find it doesn't have everything I want. Its not worth me paying the extra for Spotify though.

Associate
I'm using a friends Spotify account at the moment but don't use it much due to lack of data on my mobile. Waiting for this rubbish Vodafone contract to run out so I can get on GiffGaff unlimited data then I will get Spotify and a holder for my mobile in my car.

Back
Top Bottom