Amazon Prime using City Link? Awesome.Not.

Soldato
**Rant on**

Citylink are a lot of bloody lying time wasting useless peons.

I already try to avoid their inept ability to actually deliver stuff on the actual days they say they will by not using any company which actually still uses them,but it seems Amazon actually is using them at times now for Prime. I was fooled by the fact they used DPD before - and they actually delivered something recently on a sunday and exactly at the time they said they will.
Lets see what Citylink did yesterday:
1.)Said the delivery would be in the afternoon duriing a certain time period(very late BTW)
2.)When said time period elapsed phoned them up
3.)Person said driver could not be contacted due to some fault but was running late and item would be delivered
4.)Then checked delivery number 40 minutes later. They had changed the details saying the order would be out today to saying it would be out tommorrow(!).
5.)By then CS had shut,so it was a delay tactic.
6.)Phoned Amazon and supposedly they had carded me 5 minutes AFTER I rang City link CS.
7.)I was in the front room at that point and none of the people in house heard anything. No card even.

Today gets better. So contacted Amazon last night and this morning to see what they could do about it and whether City Link could try and deliver in the afternoon so I could actually be there.

So in the morning they sent me an e-mail saying City Link had said the delivery would be here between 2.30PM and 4.30PM - some of you might predict what happened?

At 6.15PM still nothing and now they said on the consignment page they were "running late". Rang Amazon who said they will refund me if it did not arrive tonight.

So I decided to ring City Link again - and the CS person tried contacting the depot twice to no avail and he was quite surprised at what was happening especially when I said the depot was only 15 miles away. He was actually speechless TBH.

8.30PM and still nothing.

Rang Amazon an hour ago and asked them to return the item and give me a refund.

Only problem is now I have not enough time to order from elsewhere online so need to buy the item in the shop with a 40% increase in price! :(

If I knew Amazon was using City Link I could have just used another retailer(Park Cameras) who had the same item for not much more,and I would have had it by now.

Absolutely rubbish company and sadly it means I will not touch Amazon Prime again and I will probably avoid Amazon for any items which won't fit through the post box now,since they are using this incompetent lot,and there is no option NOT to use them.

**Rant Off**

Last edited:
Soldato
You think City Links bad? Tried getting something delivered by Amazon Logistics.

Pointless, lying bags of a company. Of they are even one. No idea which company exactly but being told no one was in when I was there all day... Bah.

Soldato
OP
You think City Links bad? Tried getting something delivered by Amazon Logistics.

Pointless, lying bags of a company. Of they are even one. No idea which company exactly but being told no one was in when I was there all day... Bah.

You mean like the same City Link who round this part of the UK repeatedly lie about actually attempting delivery on multiple days like with me?

If you read my post I rang up their CS who proceeded to tell me porkies in a delaying tactic(since it meant I could not ring up again),and they told Amazon they attempted delivery when it was a load of nonsense.

I was in on TWO days too. Both days more rubbish from them.

If I had known Amazon were using them I would have just ordered elsewhere.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Amazon Logistics have never failed with a delivery and that includes weekends and we do get quite a few deliveries. Maybe you should come and live here.

Soldato
Pay peanuts get monkeys.

People don't want to pay for a proper deliver company to deliver your stuff, so they go for the cheapest deal which usually means the worst service.

I get this all day "City link are garbage, they don't turn up, they break my stuff, my stuff gets lost" but tell hell it will cost them 50p a delivery more to actually provide a decent service, they won't have it.

Man of Honour
DPD are great by far the best with their tracking and one hour estimate windows. Means you can pop out.

UPS is being useless. Was out for delivery twice and both times went back to warehouse. Seemed bizarre. Postcode was one letter out, yet rest of address was right so a) how can they not work it out. B) how did it get sent out twice through their scanning system without a valid address.

It should be sorted now, cross fingers. Also for such a big company, no proper tracking like dpd. There website is pants and their contact info is just confusing.

No issue with amazon.

Soldato
OP
City Link are awful. DPD on the other hand, are fantastic (in my experience).

They really have improved in the last few years - part of my Amazon prime order was delivered by DPD on a Sunday. Their depot is 30 miles away and yet City Link on two days were so crap they could not even deliver to a place 15 miles away from the depot.

However,the Amazon Prime courier lottery means you could end up with City Link instead.

Pay peanuts get monkeys.

People don't want to pay for a proper deliver company to deliver your stuff, so they go for the cheapest deal which usually means the worst service.

I get this all day "City link are garbage, they don't turn up, they break my stuff, my stuff gets lost" but tell hell it will cost them 50p a delivery more to actually provide a decent service, they won't have it.

I have PAID MORE for companies to deliver by better couriers so really just stop now,and not everyone is living in London where you have loads of bricks and mortar independent retailers to choose from.

I only started using Amazon Prime since they used DPD and RM before,so I have already paid for a better service. Its my fault for being lured into a false sense of security and now I will not use them as I actively avoid City Link and the same goes with Yodel and Hermes too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Citylink have shut 9 depots so far this year, they are cutting costs and restructuring.

But still not addressing the problem of charging enough to cover the cost of moving the freight they have.

Soldato
OP
Citylink have shut 9 depots so far this year, they are cutting costs and restructuring.

But still not addressing the problem of charging enough to cover the cost of moving the freight they have.

Yet the depot is 15 miles away and where I live is the next biggest population centre to where the depot is located. The DPD depot is located 30 miles away and yet with every order they have delivered within their timeslot(or at most 15 minutes late) and the last one happened this sunday(!). I thought it was a typo when DPD said they would deliver on sunday(it was not).

City Link cannot even deliver by 9PM on Tuesday and Wednesday.

They might as well either increase prices to improve their service or just not bother actually tending any services.

An anaemic snail would probably do better than City Link.

Edit!!

The DPD and City Link deliveries were part of the same order BTW.

Last edited:
Associate
Localised depot problems i think....

I've taken to only using amazon when not in a rush now...hence cancelled prime as don't need it anymore.

If i need something urgently, i buy on the high street and pay the premium for it....amazon are just too unreliable

Soldato
OP
Localised depot problems i think....

I've taken to only using amazon when not in a rush now...hence cancelled prime as don't need it anymore.

If i need something urgently, i buy on the high street and pay the premium for it....amazon are just too unreliable

The thing is I foolishly thought a week would be enough,but obviously not. I might as well suck it up to experience and see if the local retailer still has stock. They didn't when I ordered the item last week from Amazon but said they were getting more in.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've personally never had a problem with City Link (though a few with "Amazon Logistics"), but I assume you've availed yourself of the free month of Prime from complaining?

Seriously, you could complain that the delivery driver dropped a stinky fart at you while walking away and they'll give you more free Prime Time as recompense.

Permabanned
City Link are terrible. If they are not lieing about delivery then they deliver my stuff to another address with no signature :/

I use UPS now and get them to deliver to Cummings of Bodmin. Not only do I get to pick things up in my own time but I get to fawn over Supercars whilst doing so. Lovely red F355 Spider parked outside when I picked up my Zowie FK1 the other day :D

Soldato
This is what happens when Amazon tries to use inferior companies to deliver, including their own relatively new service, because they don't like the Royal Mail rates and posties work under much stricter rules regarding security of mail (so they should not be calling an item delivered by sticking it in the wheelie bin, for example).

Soldato
OP
Problem is if they use City Link for larger orders,there is not point for me using Amazon unless I don't want to actually get anything and have to take hours off to do so.
For smaller packages they tend to use slower postage anyway,so I might just cancel it all.

Back
Top Bottom