1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMAZON RTX 2080 TI RIP-OFF RETURN SCAM. BUYER BEWARE!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by doody, May 15, 2019.

1. doody

Gangster

2. Rossi~

Capodecina

How dumb have you got to be to do this? Amazon (especially resellers) have been doing this **** for years.
    Don’t buy used from there, not worth it.

3. _tucker_

Associate

Jesus talk about a rip. At least amazon have an easy refund policy so it kinda works both ways.
    I’m surprised there’s even any 2080ti cards second hand anyway

4. Apone70

Wise Guy

Oh dear

5. Andygully

Hitman

There returns and warranty is great and unmatched but I wonder for how long if people are abusing it like this.

6. BigBANGtheory

Hitman

Its actually a really stupid thing to do because if you get caught (and you could) you're basically committing a crime in trying to defraud the retailer not to mention any civil action to recover the cost of the fraud plus any legal expenses. What's your defence going to be "Oh I'm sorry I must have sent the wrong item back", yeah that's not looking too strong.

7. V F

Capodecina

Didn't the same sort of thing happen to Logitech?

8. Gerard

Caporegime

Happened me as well, ordered a 980ti strix (new) when I received it there was an older geforce card in the box, bfg 270 or something along those lines. Seems it's also an issue on products they sell as "new" going by my experience. Got refunded no issue.

9. crinkleshoes

Capodecina

I’ve had it happen a few times with SSDs.

Company I used to work for tried to maximise margin by a few quid through buying the open box versions from amazon warehouse.

Cue receiving 256gb-1tb ssds in 4tb boxes

10. DrCrabHands

Gangster

11. BlairH

Hitman

Ordered a new Titan from them a couple of years ago; got a used 270 instead.

Got a couple of months free Prime for my trouble though.

12. Gerard

Caporegime

[​IMG]

That's what i got instead of a 980ti strix. Seems like amazon just take some returns and stock them as new as that was bought new, not used.

13. Tom B

Hitman

It seems like it should be easy to catch the people doing this. After all, their name and address are on the original delivery.

14. BlairH

Hitman

But doing something about it means Amazon would have to admit that they send out customer returns as new stock. There's a perverse incentive for all concerned for Amazon to do nothing. Shame really.

15. hyperseven

Soldato

How do we know the fella making the vid is not the scammer? Unless he makes a continuous video from the delivery of the package until opening.

16. LambChop

Mobster

you were upgrading a couple of computers at a time and unfortunately you must have switched cards without even think, sorry about that.

There you go.

17. varkanoid

Sgarrista

Still doesnt beat ordering a GPU and get a few lead bars instead. :) Least you are getting something you can use in a PC ! ;)

18. vapor matt

Wise Guy

I bought a laptop once and was greeted with 2 bottles of avian water :rolleyes:

19. crinkleshoes

Capodecina

Perhaps because it has happened to many people (including me and others on this same forum) have experienced the same thing from the same retailer over the course of the last two years.

There is no real proof he is not the culprit... but there is certainly reasonable doubt, considering this ongoing issue with Amazon.

My ex-wife used to work in their returns department and was not surprised when I told her about this issues experienced.

Their warehouse and returns staff are paid by the item, effectively... or at least their targets are set as such... so anyone who improves upon those targets is rewarded.

There are financial rewards for processing bother deliveries and returns unreasonably quickly... so there are plenty of incentives to not check returns properly and sticker them anyway.

So far, there appears to be no penalty.

20. CuriousTomCat

Hitman

People with a small YouTube channel have to buy there own products for review. They buy a GPU, review it, run benchmarks and then sell it. Then hopefully when their channel gets big, the big companies will send them review samples.

Also some people try to live beyond their means and get into debt. Then they have to sell some of their possesions to pay off their debts. I often see adverts where people are selling stuff to get them out of a hole.