Amazon stop accepting Visa Credit cards from 19th Jan 22??!

Soldato
Well, this sucks. I mainly use Visa credit card (Nationwide) for everything.
What would anyone recommend for another credit card type which I can use specifically for Amazon?
I might look into an Amazon Platinum Mastercard

Everywhere else has no problem (yet) accepting Visa Credit cards

Tight ass Amazon!

Dear ,
We’re writing to notify you of an upcoming change to Amazon.co.uk.

Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions. You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases. Please update your default payment method now, or add one of these new, eligible payment methods if you do not have one.

You can update your Prime membership here, and if you have any subscriptions on Amazon.co.uk, you can update them on the ''manage your subscription'' page here.

We know this may be inconvenient, and we’re here to help you through this transition so you can continue enjoying Amazon’s low prices and wide selection. Please visit this help page for more information on payment methods, or go directly to your account.

Caporegime
so you don't have a visa debit card?

I can see the death of Visa at some point with all the crypto and other ways to pay.

The monopoly is pretty much broken

Soldato
I just got this too. Visa must be fuming, I'll be able to find out more from my other half who works in the industry. I suspect the only reason Amazon are doing this is to push people towards their own branded Mastercard. I bet it has absolutely nothing to do with fees.

Soldato
Amazon Mastercard is the way forward for Amazon purchases.

You can get a marginally better rate on non-Amazon purchases where AMEX isn't accepted with a BarclayCard Freedom Rewards.

You can get a much better rate on non-Amazon purchases using an American Express Platinum Card.

All three of these are mandatory IMO.

Man of Honour
Open a Curve account, add your Visa CC to it, the Curve card is Mastercard. That's if you don't want to move away from your current CC.

Soldato
If you only use it for Amazon, the Amazon own card seems the obvious way to go.

I only ever use a credit card for emergencies - and have it set to pay off in full the next month.

Soldato
OP
so you don't have a visa debit card?

I can see the death of Visa at some point with all the crypto and other ways to pay.

The monopoly is pretty much broken
I do and use debit cards for direct debits.
All purchases (online and highstreet) I use Visa Credit so credit score builds up, better protection and I just find controlling it easier than buying on debit. When I get paid each month, I clear the credit card amount

Soldato
OP
Amazon suggest using a Debit card instead of a Credit card. Does a Debit card offer the same consumer protection that a Credit card offers?
No, I dont think it does. I've also build up a lot of credit using my credit card (Amazon and many other places)

Man of Honour
Amazon suggest using a Debit card instead of a Credit card. Does a Debit card offer the same consumer protection that a Credit card offers?
No they do not - they state that you are still able to use Visa debit and other credit cards - ie that service, which already existed, is not being withdrawn.

That is not the same as suggesting you use a debit card instead of a credit card.

Soldato
Does a Debit card offer the same consumer protection that a Credit card offers?
Ironically a Visa debit card offers the same protection as a Visa credit card. I'd rather use a credit card online because if the worse comes to it, at least it's my bank's money that goes missing rather than mine straight out of my current account. I never use a debit card for anything apart from withdrawing cash.

Soldato
Ebay must be loving this news. Amazon love to bully small businesses with changes in policy and fee adjustments so I'm glad that Visa have not buckled to the Amazon pressure.

Caporegime
I use my Halifax Clarity Mastercard (and pay it off straight away), so this won't affect me but it doesn't sound great.

Is this related to Brexit? Does Europe not have VISA?

Soldato
Suspecting there is more to the story that we know about. My understanding is that Amex fees were the highest, so why are they still accepted by amazon.
I imagine AMEX are a bit more go with the flow on doing deals compared to VISA.

VISA seems to have been playing hard ball for ages evidenced by lots of banks switching to MasterCard. Most notably recently is RBS/Natwest ditching them entirely. Revolut ditched them not so long ago as well.

Back
Top Bottom