1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon stop accepting Visa Credit cards from 19th Jan 22??!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guest2, 17 Nov 2021.

1. XeNoN89

Sgarrista

Phone is definitely much easier and quicker than card. All it needs is to unlock with my fingerprint which takes a second

2. robfosters

Caporegime

I’m surprised the issuers haven’t closed some of them. If they do that, it hurts your credit rating instantly

3. dLockers

Sgarrista

Till your phone dies. Or your bank isn't compatible with mobile pay. Or mobile pay fails and you need to fall back on chip and pin. Or the transaction value is too high.

4. Palladium

Gangster

[​IMG]

5. iamtheoneneo

Capodecina

Amazon aren't exactly the only ones here. The writing was on the wall with VISA when banks started to switch to Mastercard.

6. Guest2

Capodecina

Theres a small powerbank always in my backpack thats good for about 4 charges (so over a week)
    My banks are compatible with Apple pay and have the cards on my phone. Mobile pay has never failed for me.
    Yes, if the value is too high this is where card and PIN is required

7. Digital X

Sgarrista

As I'm on a Visa Debit card am I ok, or should I change?

Never had any other type apart from a debit card.

8. dLockers

Sgarrista

Lol dude who argues convenience and speed of mobile pay carriers around a back pack of accessories, including the very card he is saying isn't convenient :o:D

9. MagicBoy

Suspended

Read the thread title and answer your own question. :D

10. Guest2

Capodecina

Most of the time I have backpack with gym stuff/other sports stuff and water

If I go to local shops for groceries and out for things like lunch / meals then I generally just take my wallet

11. Guest2

Capodecina

I was just going to reply the same

12. Digital X

Sgarrista

Was just checking...

God forbid.

13. b0rn2sk8

Sgarrista

I can’t say I have ever had a VISA credit card, I wasn’t even aware lots of banks still used them. Outside of Amex, all my cards have been Mastercard from various banks.

Debit card on the other hand have always been exclusively visa.

14. MagicBoy

Suspended

Engage brain first before placing fingers on keyboard.

God forbid.

15. Em3bbs

Soldato

To be fair, using a phone for contactless is a lot more convenient than fishing a card out.

16. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I would’ve thought Amex had the highest fees.

17. Jean-F

Mobster

Can’t see where this has anything to do with Amazon not accepting Visa credit cards, but when my Santander Visa Debit was coming to its expiry date last September, Santander notified me that my Visa Debit card would be replaced with a M/C Debit card.

18. Semple

Sgarrista

They might be forced to soon. I imagine they make a pretty sizeable profit from charging Amazon transaction fees when their cards are used. By dropping them completely i'd bet that the majority of people will use alternative payment methods rather than ditching Amazon.

Most of those aren't valid reasons. It's gotta be pretty rare these days to be out long enough that your phone dies (and as Guest mentions take a powerbank if that's a concern). Which banks aren't compatible with google/apple pay? - even traditional banks have had this functionality for years. Mobile pay failing - again very rare. Transaction value too high - most places have now increased this to £100. If you are intending to go out and purchase something that's more than £100 then you'll just have to remember to take your card with you.

Transactions made with contactless payment have rocketed over the last couple of years.

19. OpenToSuggestions

Capodecina

That's OK. Experian gives me 999/999 so I can take it :D.
    If I was a looking to buy a house with a low deposit (say 10% so 90% LTV) I would not take this approach.

20. tlrBeta

Wise Guy

Not wrong, it has opened opportunities for Visa to hike given we are no longer in the EU.

However, the fact is Visa are clearly not being competitive on the CC fee's (even with the kick back), hence Amazon are calling their bluff.