Amazon stop accepting Visa Credit cards from 19th Jan 22??!

Soldato
What a load of nonsense. Visa, Mastercard etc. are payment scheme providers - they are not banks they are technology companies. The separation of scheme and processing in 2016 happened because of this attitude. Because people thought there was some sort of monopoly on processing transactions. It opened the way for any Joe Bloggs to come in and start their own payment scheme infrastructure, and you know what? No-one has. Trying to create a worldwide network of payment processing with 100% uptime, doing crazy things like approving contactless transactions on the tube within a millisecond before the idiot behind you starts sighing etc. You only have to see what headline news it is when bank's own systems go down, imagine what would happen if Visa or Mastercard went down, in today's world? It's amazing what they do really.

How is it a nonsense? I never once said they were a bank and you seeing them as technology company is completely irrelevant to anything I posted. Amazon is also a technology company by that argument, let’s face it, AWS is by far their best and most profitable product.

The point is that they have an almost immoveable market position in something which is almost as essential as food and water in the modern world. Cash is going the way of the dodo whether you like it or not.

Just because in theory another provider could everted the market, it doesn’t mean it’s realistic. The barriers to entry to the market make it so difficult that is practically impossible to do.

Your own post literally demonstrates why the market needs to be regulated and their fees kept in check with what’s reasonable, it’s basically impossible for competition to establish itself. It’s a scenario where they can supernormal profits unchecked without intervention. This is always where free market capitalism always falls down because self interest always prevails. It’s human nature.

Associate
Amazon are offering free £20 credit if you add a new Mastercard or debit card message just popped up when i checked out just now with my visa credit card.

Associate
Ebay must be loving this news. Amazon love to bully small businesses with changes in policy and fee adjustments so I'm glad that Visa have not buckled to the Amazon pressure.
They're all as bad as each other. I suspect it'll be quietly resolved in the background before the cutoff date.

Soldato
Did anuyone else try applying their visa debit card via the offer link and get told "This card isn't eligible for £20 promotional balance."

It's a Barclays debit card.

Since I already had my normal debit card added, I added my revolut virtual card. and thats a Visa. I never made it primary and still paid for the order on my visa credit card, they gave me the £20.

I have deliberately left the credit card as primary in the hope they offer me another £20 to move a debit card there.

Soldato
Well VISA and MC used Brexit as an opportunity to hike fees and make more profit because we are no longer in scope of EU directives stopping them. The same thing happened with mobile operators when we left the EU, they reintroduced roaming charges because they were no longer in scope of that EU directive.

Capitalism is in general is fine and it has lots of advantages but in the real world true ‘free market capitalism’ typically results in exploitation of the market and a certain amount of regulation is pretty much always needed do deal with it. Particularly where monopolies, duopolies or a form of a cartel forms like in the card processing space.

Without regulation the end game typically results in the groups with the least power (typically the end consumer and employees) being exploited.

Well there was a price to pay for the fees been forced down, cashback offers on visa cards went to rubbish, and it also became harder to get 0% offers not long after as well.

Their profit margin was forced down to sub 1%, I wonder if Amazon run with sub 1% profit margin?

Associate
What's the difference between the 'Amazon Classic Mastercard' and the 'Amazon Platinum Mastercard'

Think i'll just get one of these for Amazon purchases
You do realise it's just Amazon branded, Amazon do not offer financial services. It's underwritten by Newday

Associate
Apparently. There's EU laws that limit the amount card processors can take. The UK decided to take back control and left the EU. Therefore Visa can hike the charges for UK customers. Just as happened with mobile roaming charges, and I'm sure other things to come...

I guess our government is just too busy with Covid at the moment as this should become UK law along with roaming charges and every other benefit we're loosing. If the EU can make it law then we can as well. They're just too busy planning their next Christmas party. :rolleyes:

Soldato
So Amazon or Visa have seemingly back down as then change isn’t happening. At least for now anyway.

Amazon email said:
The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk. 

Should we make any changes related to Visa credit cards, we will give you advance notice. Until then, you can continue to use Visa credit cards, debit cards, Mastercard, American Express, and Eurocard as you do today.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer.

Soldato
OP
Update! email just in

Dear [name]

The expected change regarding the use of Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk will no longer take place on January 19. We are working closely with Visa on a potential solution that will enable customers to continue using their Visa credit cards on Amazon.co.uk. 

Should we make any changes related to Visa credit cards, we will give you advance notice. Until then, you can continue to use Visa credit cards, debit cards, Mastercard, American Express, and Eurocard as you do today.

Thank you for being an Amazon customer.

It looks like they were just testing the water or came to a deal with Visa a few days before!!

Back
Top Bottom