Amazon stop accepting Visa Credit cards from 19th Jan 22??!

Soldato
It sounds like Amazon was trying to pull a swift one. I don't believe Visa was unreasonable, mainly because their industry rivals didn't think they were either.

Soldato
Brilliant, took out a MC to handle this which I now didn't need to do, hard credit search etc. ******* Amazon.

At least I got £20 out of them :p
I'd love to see the stats on how many new Amazon cards were taken up because of this. I'm sure we wont though.

It's a sad state of affairs when one company so blatantly bullies another in a public spat, whilst pressuring the general public to bend to their will on a blatant lie - to take out their own credit card. I knew Amazon are a stern company to deal with but this was a step too far really.

Soldato
I'd love to see the stats on how many new Amazon cards were taken up because of this. I'm sure we wont though.

It's a sad state of affairs when one company so blatantly bullies another in a public spat, whilst pressuring the general public to bend to their will on a blatant lie - to take out their own credit card. I knew Amazon are a stern company to deal with but this was a step too far really.

It was likely commercially based decision, by the sounds of it - it likely worked. The fact that you took out a card or anyone else did, has nothing to do with this decision.

There is plenty of ways to buy items from Amazon, be that Credit or Debit cards (the A to Z seller protection is very in favour of buyers these days), personally I use my Amex. It's a bit silly to suggest you were "lied to to take out their MC" or "pressured the pubic". God knows what happens when you see an advert on TV :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Brilliant, took out a MC to handle this which I now didn't need to do, hard credit search etc. ******* Amazon.

It was fairly obvious this was going to happen though. Despite all the notifications and emails I didn't update my payment details and, surprise surprise, I didn't need to.

Soldato
God knows what happens when you see an advert on TV
Um, I was quoting another poster. I never took out another card nor did I ever intend to.

I'd flagged from the start that this was bully boy tactics from Amazon with regards to getting people to sign up for their MC. The reversal here shows I was correct all along.

Soldato
It sounds like Amazon was trying to pull a swift one. I don't believe Visa was unreasonable, mainly because their industry rivals didn't think they were either.

I don't know, their suggested fee increase was pretty steep considering. Also when you consider MC/Amex weren't increasing fee's at the same time, and it's not like Visa is small game that needed to increase the fee because they needed the money.

I suspect Amazon probably got them to agree the same rates, or only slightly increased. Either way they were obviously happy with the compromise to back down from the change.

Soldato
I'm surprised Amazon don't promote their own card more.

The only time I see it advertised is at the check out telling me how much money off I'd get if I used their card.

Soldato

Same, although we already had a Lloyds MC so we just switched over (we were going to anyway for ease of management) and they gave us £20.

Soldato
I have a few things on buy now pay later linked to visa credit card as well as monthly amazon prime, I kept the visa credit card as the payment card, I expect I was one of many people doing the same.

If amazon went ahead they would have created massive issues for themselves, legally people may have even been freed from obligations to make BNPL payments, so this was always going to happen I felt.

Soldato
I doubt they would be free from their buy now pay later obligations. They will still owe the money at the end of the day. It’s highly unlikely that paying by visa credit was a contractual term. Headaches chasing payments, yes, but people suddenly be free from their debts.

Soldato
I doubt they would be free from their buy now pay later obligations. They will still owe the money at the end of the day. It’s highly unlikely that paying by visa credit was a contractual term. Headaches chasing payments, yes, but people suddenly be free from their debts.

The argument I would make is I have not removed my payments under the terms I signed up to, but instead Amazon are choosing to not accept the payments. It is one thing to stop accepting a method of payment for future payments but another to change it during a financial contract.

I dont think I have ever had a credit financial product where method of payment has been changed during its length of contract even if the company changes things for new products.

Back
Top Bottom