• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 3500 to a AMD 4000

Associate
Hi
Currently have a AMD 3500 venice on a 939 board, would upgrading to an AMD 4000 give me much improvement in games and general tasks?. I have 1 gb ram and a Galaxy 7900gs 512mb GPU. If I bought an OEM 4000 chip from OCUK would I be able to reuse the heatsink and fan from my 3500 or is it best to go for retail?.
Cheers in advance

Associate
Should be OK to re-use your heatsink but you'll need to clean off the cpu paste & apply some new before re-installing.
The 4000 will be quicker in games & other tasks but not by a huge amount.
I think a dual core 4200 would be a more worthwhile upgrade. It'll be quicker for general tasks & much quicker in multi-threaded apps.
Games are finally starting to use dual core more & I think in the next year many more will follow suit.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
hp7909 said:
IMO I'd upgrade RAM instead (or both if budget allows) :)

Exactly what i was thinking. No way will you notice any difference in that CPU swap if you currently run your 3500 Clocked and at it's best. You would do much better having a 2gig kit in there. Then set your system up accordingly clocking the chip and the GFX card. That difference you would notice all round.

Back
Top Bottom