AMD 3900x What the best stable distro ?

Soldato
Try useing the 5.5 kernel like oap said.

In Manjaro go to the Manjaro setting manager>> Kernels

It's listed in there , simple click to install.

Don't have a 240hz monitor only a 144 that has no issues am using a AMD card so not realy comparable tbh as NV blob driver is well I'll just leave it at that :p

ok thanks ill try this tonight, christ linux is decades ahead of windows in terms of everything BAR gaming, crazy! it like moving from an iphone4 to s20 plus!!

Soldato
please help i am now running at 240hz but it feels like 60hz flickers and stutter everywhere

What desktop environment, KDE(Plasma), Gnome ?

One of the reasons I jumped to AMD on linux was the bad DE experience to be frank though I would have thought they had fixed it by now.

If KDE look to see if if the frame rate is fixed ect.

vsync.png

Soldato
What desktop environment, KDE(Plasma), Gnome ?

One of the reasons I jumped to AMD on linux was the bad DE experience to be frank though I would have thought they had fixed it by now.

If KDE look to see if if the frame rate is fixed ect.

vsync.png

Thanks for this dude, i can't seem to locate that screen though - i am running the XFCE desktop enviroment ( should i change it ?) thanks

Soldato
Thanks for this dude, i can't seem to locate that screen though - i am running the XFCE desktop enviroment ( should i change it ?) thanks

Not used XFCE in a good while tbh, It's up to you if you want to change it. Lets just check something first . I use KDE(Plasma) if you are wondering

Open a terminal and type this and post out put

Code:
inxi -G

I know, I know terminal but it's easier for me due to DE differences .

This is to see if you are running the Nvidia blob driver or the oss one.

Heres a link to the Manjaro wiki regards NV driver

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?..._(non-free)_settings_and_load_them_on_Startup

Soldato
Not used XFCE in a good while tbh, It's up to you if you want to change it. Lets just check something first . I use KDE(Plasma) if you are wondering

Open a terminal and type this and post out put

Code:
inxi -G

I know, I know terminal but it's easier for me due to DE differences .

This is to see if you are running the Nvidia blob driver or the oss one.

Heres a link to the Manjaro wiki regards NV driver

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?..._(non-free)_settings_and_load_them_on_Startup

Thanks for going the extra mile, I've decided to download the exact distro you have KDE plasma and start again - side quesiton did you manage to run EA origin? thanks

Soldato
Thanks for going the extra mile, I've decided to download the exact distro you have KDE plasma and start again - side quesiton did you manage to run EA origin? thanks

No worries.
Origin works through lutris fine , battlefield 4 however does not show your ping so you get kicked from the servers. Single works fine. Could be my end as running a custom server/proxy/Firewall though.

Soldato
No worries.
Origin works through lutris fine , battlefield 4 however does not show your ping so you get kicked from the servers. Single works fine. Could be my end as running a custom server/proxy/Firewall though.

pete THANK YOU SO MUCH - i think that fixed it ( mostly ) Scrolling in the browser is still sluggish but moving it around is much better ! any other tips or recommendations? for apps ? do i need antivirus or firewall ? thanks a million

Soldato
pete THANK YOU SO MUCH - i think that fixed it ( mostly ) Scrolling in the browser is still sluggish but moving it around is much better ! any other tips or recommendations? for apps ? do i need antivirus or firewall ? thanks a million

Anti virus, fire wall not needed like on widows but they are available.

ClamAV for anti
Firewall for well :p

There are other

Get them from the pakage manager.

Steam, Discord are all in there too. If theres an app/program that you want say Gimp you search that first.

If you want acess to the AUR repos (Arch main repo) You need to enable it in the preferences page in the pakage manager.

You'd be better off with it off until you get a bit more accustomed to it all if you are new to linux in general

Office apps use Libre office , has word exel ect equivalents
Gimp is a photoshop type program.
VLC which you made of heard of is a media player for just about every thing
Blender I think you already know about

Don't be afraid to mess around , KDE is unbelievably customisable.

Install Pulse audio volume control , It's not just a Volume slider it allows you to change sound in/outputs on the fly ect. Surprising how handy that is tbh.

Print screen works differently in KDE to windows it's actually useful, Have a play you'll see what I mean

:D

Associate
Gotta jump in with Manjaro, Arch based and been super stable for me, I run it on multiple systems inc the daily driver (1950X, VEGA 64), an intel based lapop, and i5 2500k + R9 390X and a Phenom II X6 1090T + GTX 760, also on a I7 960 1366 system with a GTX 970 so a good mix of hardware, AMD open source drivers are way ahead of the nvidia side, but the nvidia proprietary driver works well.

There were some hiccups with the R9 390 being older GCN but shouldn't be an issue on the newer cards.

Back
Top Bottom