• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Soldato
It's interesting that earlier Gibbo said that they were making under 15% margin on each card at £680

If you remove margin from the 6800xt OCUK price (please correct my bad maths), the cost price is ~£580.

Who is making money on these cards at MSRP? There isn't the volume to support the retailers properly at MSRP

OCUK takes a decision to make a big markup in absolute terms which is unpalatable but they also need to cover the resourcing costs of dealing with this fiasco.

Consumers can't get the cards anyway

I don't entirely understand who actually is making money on the cards because I don't believe they cost £570 to make and distribute.

It all stinks to me.

Well AMD make the largest profit. Then you have the supply chain & distributers and then the reseller such as OcUK. There probably is around 5% margin for the reseller at this point (before VAT) So OcUK is purchasing around £475 a unit + VAT + 5% markup to get to the £599 figure ish. With that though an additional £80 is a large margin to add which would put that to 20% profit margin (£570 to £680) or so. Less their operational costs. The thing is AMD have clearly set these as loss leaders and expect companies to take a hit on a small number of units where they break even with their costs possibly. And with that when AIB's drop at the additional price that is where margins are back around the 10-20% depending on exact model.

Soldato
After looking at RT performance for the 6000 I'm passing it & sticking with a 2080 for now until the 7000 hopefully next year, which will likely trounce the 3080. Unless as consoles are using similar hardware to the 6000 & it's RT dramatically improves, but I doubt it.

Associate
I don't understand how you can pull the plug on orders you have taken funds for yesterday with a promise of refunds "soon" and then list more cards (albeit non-XT) at marked up prices and not prioritise those people's whose money you already have in your hand and haven't immediately refunded. Quick to take payment, but slow to refund. Abhorrent

Associate
No doubt it's all sold out... But they will continue to take orders well above in stock item count, take funds and then process the refunds at a slow rate as per usual

Soldato
It is sat in my basket but I just can't justify a £80 hike. £30 yeah I would have snapped it up and lived with it but this seems like such a large margin on top considering it's base price. They will go to people on eBay to make a tidy profit soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom