• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Associate
Some people seem very upset at OCUK here. Let's remember, they are a business, they can charge what they deem fit. If you don't want to pay the price, then you don't have to buy it and you can shop elsewhere.

Let's remember some of the added benefits you have buying with OCUK. The 14 day no quibble return is still one of the best benefits for me vs some competitors.

It's highly likely they will still sell and those that buy will be happy with their purchase.

That's how zombified and bamboozled some people here are. They don't have a bloody choice to offer 14 day return, it's the LAW

https://www.gov.uk/online-and-distance-selling-for-businesses

Associate
If the chat is any indication, definitely not just people looking to make money
Then why didn't 65 of the 35000 in the discord take the hit and buy one if they really wanted one?
It's £70 above the price not a lot for anyone who genuinely wants a 6800 now.

Much better than joining a discord group to get alerts to scramble for a gpu that most of the people in the group will put on ebay.

Soldato
Aren't 14 day returns mandated by law?

The reason people scalp and that stores extort their customers is because there are people who are willing to be taken for a ride. I'd rather wait and shop at a fair store than feed dirty tactics.

14 day return policy is a law.

I must admit, I haven't brought anything in ages - used to be slightly different and wasn't law :) Yep, just read up about it, so you can disregard this then :D

Still better CS!

Associate
Still in stock, looks like OCUK pushed everyone a bit too far at those ridiculous prices, even the scalpers aren't touching them haha.

Associate
Not sure why there is so much hype for this card. It's slower than the 3080 in rasterisation for the most part and much slower in ray tracing and doesn't have an answer for DLSS. On top of that their drivers and software are miles behind and they don't have half as many features.

So with all that in mind, I think spending the extra £50 for the 3080 is a no brainer, unless I'm missing something?

Associate
I ordered one, hopefully I will be lucky and get a dispatch email.

In my case, it is worth paying the premium as I have a full system built and just need a GPU. I could wait 2 month's for another card, but thats 2 months I could be using and enjoying the computer. For an extra £70 its fine.

From a business perspective, you can't expect OcUK to put in all the work and related stress to net profit £10 a card. Its a classic case of supply and demand, an acceptable premium.

Associate
Then why didn't 65 of the 35000 in the discord take the hit and buy one if they really wanted one?

Much better than joining a discord group to get alerts to scramble for a gpu that most of the people in the group will put on ebay.

Because people love to bitch and moan about anything they can nowadays and when given the opportunity to get what they're bitching about, they go quiet or find a new direction to bitch and moan about.

Associate

A few of them have placed orders. Two have asked about the OC cancellation policy after having second thoughts, getting caught up in the rush

I'm sure some people are looking to make money, but I'm equally sure plenty aren't

Soldato
Not having a go at you here but check this forum thread out to see how rumours grow and spread and how much weight they have, pretty much nothing. I am sure in the next couple of months we won't see rrp prices, but they'll come down slowly, like they do with every release and eventually they'll be rrp or near enough once there is a lot more stock than buyers. Currently there are thousands of people per unit sold, it makes sense for them to be more expensive.

The rumour etc wasn't from here I had read it tbh although I can't say where one bit of info came from. And next couple of months, unfortunately for my work I am now doing at home the 5700xt has not got enough RAM so I need a new card regardless and I wasn't even sure the 10GB would be enough on the 3080FE which is why waited for these. With that though as well the RRP from what I have been told/read is going to be closer to £599-£629 for the 6800 & £699-£729 for the 6800XT for a reference board AIB design. With markups, gouging and similar I am expecting another £100 on top that till at least early next year.

Associate
Probably sold out straight away but they're enticing people to keep on paying. Not interested in 6800 and only willing to pay £700 for 6800XT. My 5700XT is doing OK only bought it in August last year and I usually upgrade every couple of years so in no rush.

Soldato

Sorry but to me £70 is a huge markup and is a lot and I genuinely wanted a card now but I just couldn't justify it at all.

Soldato
The rumour from everyone and what I have heard from one source is those £520 & £599 prices wont happen again and AIB's will be closer to what OcUK is charging now for a reference board design.
It's just a bait and switch like what's happened with nvidia cards.

Associate
I just can't fathom paying the premium performance price, for bad entry level hardware.

The 6800 at 599 is awful lol.

It's sad if they are selling, just encourages this type of behaviour and everytime they will add a little more, 70 this time 100 next time, and so on.

Associate
Not sure why there is so much hype for this card. It's slower than the 3080 in rasterisation for the most part and much slower in ray tracing and doesn't have an answer for DLSS. On top of that their drivers and software are miles behind and they don't have half as many features.

So with all that in mind, I think spending the extra £50 for the 3080 is a no brainer, unless I'm missing something?

Stock is still coming in of the FE 3070s and 3080s periodically, at RRP. Personally I'd rather just wait for that

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
you don't need to be genius to work out who makes the most money from any of these launches, after all, most companies post annual financials which you can see for yourself if you felt like it.

It wasn't too long ago that one of OcUK's competitors was posting financials showing turnovers in the region of £100m annually but their net profits weren't even pushing £1m. The resellers (& this is not just on PC parts) are not the guys raking in large profit margins in the supply chains and there's legal documentation freely available to prove it. It's generally resellers whose margins get pinched and it's generally the resellers who end up closing up shop first. The death of the high street is one of the symptoms of such an imbalance but the resellers don't hold any power to change it.

Back
Top Bottom