• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Associate
I have a question for the more mature members here, this is absolutely critical wrt future performance and pc upgrades..........how do I get the 6800 thats arriving tomorrow (hopefully) past the wife? If she sees it, life in this house will change beyond measure and recognition and I'll probably spend the rest of the year in the naughty book!

From experience there is no way .... have fun with your extended stay in the naughty book. :D

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
@ScottiB / @Gibbo

It is a bit strange that AMD are saying that the reference cards will be built through early 2021 https://twitter.com/sherkelman/status/1329195091794272263 and a lot retailers (not just OCUK) are saying they are not expecting more stock of them ....

Tho I guess as they all come from AIB's and those will now be focused on sipping their own designs anyway :/ still a very odd launch

We can only tell you what we know and every official communication that we received from AMD was indicating that there would be no more MBA after this first batch. We've seen the same stories coming out today as you guys, but we've heard nothing official. Whether that means that they'll pull an Nvidia and only sell direct or they just haven't contacted us yet, we don't know. Gibbo will update you when he knows more.

Permabanned
Because it's highly illegal for any company to do that. The fines are insane because they are based on a large percentage of annual turnover.

Some companies risk a slap on the wrist by "implying" that straying from MSRP will jeopardise future supply and when like Apple/Sony/Microsoft etc have exclusivity of their reseller's most popular products it's a lot easier to apply said pressure.

Again, you are showing an incredible level of naivety here.
What is highly illegal? How much more control does Microsoft and Sony have over there products than Nvidia or Amd.

Naive I may be but you are getting a lot of stick at the minute over your pricing strategies. You give all these different reasons but people are getting pretty cheesed off about it.

Associate
We can only tell you what we know and every official communication that we received from AMD was indicating that there would be no more MBA after this first batch. We've seen the same stories coming out today as you guys, but we've heard nothing official. Whether that means that they'll pull an Nvidia and only sell direct or they just haven't contacted us yet, we don't know. Gibbo will update you when he knows more.

Yeah im not saying that you will get any more, just that for AMD this is a very strange launch. They probably decided late in the game to only sell them direct :/

OcUK Staff
OP
@ScottiB / @Gibbo

It is a bit strange that AMD are saying that the reference cards will be built through early 2021 https://twitter.com/sherkelman/status/1329195091794272263 and a lot retailers (not just OCUK) are saying they are not expecting more stock of them ....

Tho I guess as they all come from AIB's and those will now be focused on sipping their own designs anyway :/ still a very odd launch

Both Sapphire and Powercolor told us to not expect any more XT MBA cards. They also told us AMD short shipped them on XT GPUs.

Of course this industry can change its mind regular and often, I've seen the AMD statement and maybe more 6800 XT's will come our way but we have learnt from the 3080 fiasco it is simply better to have no back orders in place especially on a product that from launch we have being informed it was a limited product.

The difference with the 3080 is we were and have still not being told it is a limited product and were told numbers are ramping, hence we kept selling them until the point came where it makes no sense to keep selling as the volumes are still poor and not ramped as much as we would hope or were led to believe. Number have improved but marginally, we need thousands to clear backlog and I could easily sell 50,000 units in a week but no manufacturer can even come close to meeting our demand, their is simply too little supply on GPU's.

OcUK Staff
OP
What is highly illegal? How much more control does Microsoft and Sony have over there products than Nvidia or Amd.

Naive I may be but you are getting a lot of stick at the minute over your pricing strategies. You give all these different reasons but people are getting pretty cheesed off about it.

Well if you want to be cheesed of that is your decision, we are offering transparency behind our actions and being open with our customer base. We can't hope to please everyone but we can try and explain how our business works and how we try and think ahead.

Associate
I have a question for the more mature members here, this is absolutely critical wrt future performance and pc upgrades..........how do I get the 6800 thats arriving tomorrow (hopefully) past the wife? If she sees it, life in this house will change beyond measure and recognition and I'll probably spend the rest of the year in the naughty book!

Suggestions GRATEFULLY accepted!:)

She won't see it though as you had to "order her Christmas present online due to covid and it would spoil the surprise if she was watching when it was delivered"... Just make sure you then have something decent to give her on Christmas day ;)

Associate

Suggestions GRATEFULLY accepted!:)
Buy her a bag that's what I've done,
She also has no idea how much it cost which helps i will just say I got a good deal thanks to Gibbo letting me know what time they were going to be listed.:)

Associate
loads of things cost more - it is just a sign of the times this year

I bought a Garden shed- yes a plain shed- waiting times were crazy & the price was much higher

they couldn't manage the supply v demand as things are just silly with everyone not going on Holiday, buying cars etc

16 weeks I was told and although it was quicker it was pricier

if people don't feel comfortable paying a bit more for things then they really shouldn't be buying them in the first place

Graphics cards don't make any difference to your life- your games will still run on a lesser card

If your happiness depends on an item like a graphics card then maybe that's a sign that other parts of your life need looked at

the amount of raging & people all getting wound up and slinging rubbish has been embarrassing

if they stand back & actually think about it then it is nothing more than a slight inconvenience

if you got a card - congrats & if you didn't - you have £600 in your pocket that you could sit on or add to for a future purchase - congrats

lets all calm down - only things I will say is - DO NOT buy from an Ebay Scalper - You are NOT that Weak!

Associate
Wonder what will be the better value card, 3070 £470 vs 6800 £540. The 6800 performance increase is almost equal to it's increase in cost but lacks the Nvidia features but has 16GB memory.

Pro's and con's for both. What would you guys get?

Permabanned
So how does that relate to Sony or Microsoft telling retailers to stick to msrp. Price fixing would be that both Sony and Microsoft control pricing in collusion with each other in order to artificially increase pricing due to demand. We’re not seeing that we’re seeing them keeping pricing at the same level which is exactly the level they set at launch. Now if they were doing what pc tech is doing we’d see pricing closer to £600 rather than £450 as demand is greater than supply.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
loads of things cost more - it is just a sign of the times this year

I bought a Garden shed- yes a plain shed- waiting times were crazy & the price was much higher
Same, over three months, and my father had a two month waiting time for a couple of fence panels..
Pretty much every online shop is suffering with supply issues.

I've got a small list of things that I need to buy, and I'll wait until next week, even though I honestly can't see this Black Friday bringing a load of incredible deals because you need stock to do deals.

Back
Top Bottom