• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Soldato
Simple answer is to stagger your upgrades. Sometime next year I will decide to upgrade and I guarantee they'll be stock everywhere by then. Zero wait times, zero fuss and zero stress.

Why upgrade on release day? It's madness.

I understand that some are desperate to sell their old GPU before launch etc but is the stress worth it?

Last edited:
Associate
@ScottiB . I realise this is a long shot...my 6800xt delivery failed. Is there any chance it could be sent to someone on this forum, and hopefully NOT a scalper. I can give you my order details if needed.
I'll happily volunteer to acquire it if it's available lol... need an upgrade to drive the Reverb G2 I'm wating for on 1st Dec (well OK its a long shot but worth a try lol)

Associate
I think we need to aim negativity squarely at AMD & Nvidia for setting an expectation and then falling dramatically short. The rest is just a side effect of the cause.

OCUK's actions over the last few days are not a 'side-effect of AMD's cause, they were decisions and actions they made themselves.

Associate
Forgive me if I'm asking a question thats already been answered (I can't always keep up with the threads on here), Gibbo mentioned when discussing the additional non-XT 6800 availability next week that they were told that no more reference 68000XTs were being produced. He also hinted at some news some of us may have read this morning but hasn't been confirmed - I can only assume the news is a rumour about another batch of reference 6800XTs? Is that the case or if we have missed the reference boards are we now looking at AIB boards only?

Soldato
I understand that some are desperate to sell their old GPU before launch etc but is the stress worth it?

Personally i wanted to sort my upgrades before cyberpunk came out so that i could play it max settings over christmas holidays. GPU is the only thing letting my system down (certainly by a long way going by the latest release of recommended system specs they did today)

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Fewer than the amount of old accounts that are sock puppets probably.
I'm sure that there's plenty but it doesn't surprise me that the most aggressively and persistently negative posts are coming from those with the lowest post counts. It takes time to earn trust and if you have only been around for the last few weeks I can definitely appreciate why that trust isn't there.

Personally i wanted to sort my upgrades before cyberpunk came out
You are in a very common boat there...every now & then a game comes along that really drives upgrade demand. Unfortunately, this one has come at a time where there's already way too much demand :(

It does look good though, I wish you luck in finding something

Soldato
You are in a very common boat there...every now & then a game comes along that really drives upgrade demand. Unfortunately, this one has come at a time where there's already way too much demand :(

It is unfortunate that AMD and Nvidia didn't release their cards a month earlier when they did their big promos, rather than just announcing them. An extra month to get stock to people would have made a huge difference for Xmas i imagine.

That said, I'm assuming the issue is moving the stock globally, rather than manufacturing? Are you guys aware of where the issue is occurring?

Fingers crossed on Wednesday though i guess! :D

Associate
Simple answer is to stagger your upgrades. Sometime next year I will decide to upgrade and I guarantee they'll be stock everywhere by then. Zero wait times, zero fuss and zero stress.

Why upgrade on release day? It's madness.

As an example, I have my first ever PC built and ready for the GPU as its last part. If I already had a 20 series for example, I would be doing as you are!

Caporegime
I'm sure that there's plenty but it doesn't surprise me that the most aggressively and persistently negative posts are coming from those with the lowest post counts. It takes time to earn trust and if you have only been around for the last few weeks I can definitely appreciate why that trust isn't there.

Blatantly advertising you're selling above MSRP probably doesn't help though.
Especially with our current currency conversion being "healthy" compared to recent launches post the referendum which were always stipulated as the reason for price differentials.

This year has well and truly wiped my enthusiasm for the PC market.

Caporegime
This is absolutely spot on and very true as when the 3080 launched I have detailed discussions with some board partners like Zotac, Gigabyte and Palit who were paying additional transport cost to express air freight product to get it here quicker and they even openly said they were losing money on every single card due to these inflated shipping cost as they had nowhere near enough margin in the product at MSRP to cover even shipping cost. MSRP's just recently have being way to aggressive from manufacturers to put it simply and that is why the MSRP's are lasting in some cases for minutes or none existent.

You see I can understand if the cost of extra shipping adds £10 or £20 to the price (we buy stuff from china and have regular stuff delivered by shipping containers and rush items when we have run out of stock by airfrieght. Price difference is only £14 per unit (but it adds up if ordering 20,000 of something so you always should try to get shipping container)

But we saw cards increasing by £100 or £200 so its disingenuous to put the increases down to air freight.

The reality is that the manufacturers have set the price too cheap and they are using air freight and shortages to increase their margin by £100 to £200. But whose fault is that that the MRSP is what it is. They are the ones who set them. If the margins are that slim £20 of arifright kills the profit then there is something majorly wrong.

Even now manufacturers are launching new cards with MRSP less than what current crds are going for. MSI have their 3080 suprim with their most expensive cooler ever and best components ever and its only £809. The EVAG FTW Ultra Hybrid is £769 MSRP.

Thats their current top of the range card.

Will anybody be able to buy at these prices in the next 6 months? Doubtful.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
You see I can understand if the cost of extra shipping adds £10 or £20 to the price
I'm not really placed to have a discussion about graphics pricing because, unless you have a problem with the pricing of a motherboard or a system, I have no influence, but I would like to clarify a couple of things to prevent any confusion/misunderstanding.

Nobody ever claimed that shipping cost was entirely to blame. I raised it as a factor, mainly to explain why items naturally get a bit cheaper after the demand dies down and slower shipping methods are viable. I see many a comment along the lines of "oh, they'll be cheaper in a few months time" and this was aimed at those mostly. The shipping differences mean that our costs come down too.

Gibbo has been clear about his thought processes over the 6800 pricing in this thread already and the shipping differences will have had some impact on why Gibbo considered the margin on offer, at MSRP, to be unreasonable.

As far as the actual cost difference, again, I can't speak specifically for cards, but the difference between express air and sea container on my motherboard orders reached as much as $45 per board recently vs $2-3 per board via container.

Associate
I managed to get a new trombone but its in pink shiny plastic been delivered tommorow, i have a six minute solo to play and i dont feel i can do it, evryone is going to laugh at me, i still have no gpu or toilet roll, i dont think i can take anymore, should i ditch the gig ????? and spend the time trying to get a gpu ????

Back
Top Bottom