AMD Athlon 250 Wont Overclock

Associate
I'm having some wired issues my motherboard is a GA-78lmt-s2p running amd 250.

When I overclock my FSB to 260 Windows says maximum speed 3.0ghz and running at 0.5ghz jumping up 3.0ghz when checking CPU-z it stats im running at 3.9ghz but windows will still say 3ghz and have no idea why the speed keeps changing.

Please Help

running Windows 8 32bit RP

Untitled.png
Ok

about to change to 64x

Last edited:
Associate
Basically windows shows that like a name stuck with the processor, it's not going to change, and will always show 3ghz, even when it is running faster; e.g. my i7 2600k says "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz" when really it runs at 4.6GHz after some overclocking.
I assume that's what the task manager is showing, Windows 7 task manager doesn't show that but my example is what the system properties shows.

Long story short: Windows says 3GHz as that is what the processor is sold as, it won't change, no matter what speed you run at.

Associate
OP
Basically windows shows that like a name stuck with the processor, it's not going to change, and will always show 3ghz, even when it is running faster; e.g. my i7 2600k says "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz" when really it runs at 4.6GHz after some overclocking.
I assume that's what the task manager is showing, Windows 7 task manager doesn't show that but my example is what the system properties shows.

Long story short: Windows says 3GHz as that is what the processor is sold as, it won't change, no matter what speed you run at.

ok cool so do you know why sometimes its saying that its currently running at 0.8ghz for odd reason when its idle.

Associate
Turn the HT down to 2000, you gain no benefit from running it any higher and it will make your system more unstable. If you want to overclock you probably want to turn off C1E and CnQ because it can cause crashes. That might only be a problem with the C2 stepping ones however.

That HT speed also means you are running your NB at 2600 as well, if so, have you actually tested the stability of the system? I'd be very surprised if it could survive prime95 for more than a few minutes unless you've bumped the CPU-NB volts up by about 10%. What sort of cooling are you using?

Back
Top Bottom