• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD consideres buying Ageia, perhaps they are trying to go bankrupt?

Soldato
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11/22/amd_has_considered_buying_ageia/1

Its like intel and amd are playing monopoly. What will they buy next? I presume this is because intel are considering to buy havok. AMD seem like they want to join in the fight. They could come out with some amazing cpu/gfx/physics card and it be great... or not lol.

With intel and amd now fighting for physics we could see some good things. Or a very big flop :(

Last edited:
Associate
AMD will survive, the Phenom chips will be bought, no matter how much we're against it, and so will the AMD graphics cards, the new ones are very good value for money.

Soldato
Richard Huddy, AMD’s head of worldwide developer relations, said that “we’ve had that discussion, yes,” when asked about the possibility of buying Ageia. “It’s a discussion that goes around every three months – someone turns to me and says ‘why don’t we buy Ageia?’ and I go through the arguments about why we should and why we shouldn’t.”

The problem for AMD is that Ageia will probably command quite a high asking price, and given the fact that AMD is still heavily in debt following the $5.4 billion purchase of ATI last year, the company probably won’t be able to afford it. It’s likely to not be the only company involved in a potential acquisition and Huddy said he wouldn’t be surprised if the same discussion had gone on at other players in this market, including archrivals Nvidia.

Seems to imply the ideas been banded about but isn't actually happening.

Soldato
OP
Is that a good or bad thing? I think if amd take up agiea intel may take havok and we could be seeing a good war for physics too. But if intel win again then amd will be crushed and i beleive havok is better then agiea?

Soldato
OP

Pretty pointless without any evidence and a lot of bias. I think amd will come back purely because they ahve to. They will come back with something which has such a good price/performance that people will be buying it over the intel/nvida equivilant. Amd have always been cheaper as far as i can remember (which is not as far back as some of you people lol). Intel have always been moer expensive.

Suspended
ergonomics, did you say the same when amd processors where destroying intels? if so you must be feeling a bit silly at the moment.

its up and downs, amd will profit and do well from the purchase of radeon, short term its expensive, long term a very good idea. especially considering fusion. there is no definite to anything. if amd acquire more fabs and technology it can only do us good. get AMD up to the size of the huge Intel = more competition = better for consumer.

Associate
Pretty pointless without any evidence and a lot of bias. I think amd will come back purely because they ahve to. They will come back with something which has such a good price/performance that people will be buying it over the intel/nvida equivilant. Amd have always been cheaper as far as i can remember (which is not as far back as some of you people lol). Intel have always been moer expensive.

i do understand how its worked for a while. for a long time, opterons have been the preferred the choice for servers and workstations. and the new phenoms, and whatever they will release next will still be purchased by many, being more than enough to keep AMD afloat. i just feel that if intel did buy havok, and maybe sometime in the distant future (isnt going to happen though) buy nvidia, theyd by far have the biggest turnover, and would probably dominate the market in both the low range (intels integrated chips) and the high/enthusiast range, with nvidia and havoks physic systems.

the midrange will always be (as far as i can see with their pricing) in AMD's/ATi's favour. but thats in nvidias hands tbh. they could turn around and release a new range of cards at VERY competitive prices. which would effectively give them dominance over *most* of the market

Soldato
the midrange will always be (as far as i can see with their pricing) in AMD's/ATi's favour. but thats in nvidias hands tbh. they could turn around and release a new range of cards at VERY competitive prices. which would effectively give them dominance over *most* of the market

I think you will find Nvidia have already done that with the 256 & 512MB GT.

Associate
I think you will find Nvidia have already done that with the 256 & 512MB GT.

To most of the market those are high end cards, the mid range is more x2600xt and 8600gt price levels, £60-£100 is mid range, not £100-£200.

You can't call an 8800gt mid range, its fractionally slower than a GTX and faster than a GTS, thats definately high end.

Soldato
OP
haha trying to take down as many companies with them as they can huh?

But to be honest, i doubt they paid much for ageia so tis probably not a bad investment with a chase for a brake through.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
Ouch, looks like their gamble of buying ATi to save em aint payed off then, looks like when they go down now they'll take Ageia with em as well.:eek:

...... and they all lived happily ever after.

C'mon Loadsa :). Your shout (above) sounds like the demented shout of the apocalypse people. "THE END IS NIGH" scribbled in a thick black marker and by any chance, do you have a beard? :D.

It's not going to happen any time soon imo, the downfall of AMD that is though :). The acquirement of Ageia might happen in the near future though. Who knows?.

Back
Top Bottom