1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

AMD demonstrates Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 3D V-Cache stack chiplet design

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by RavenXXX2, 1 Jun 2021.

1. kitfit1

Mobster

In fact, i'm more likely to just boot into Linux for everyday use. Because let's face it, Linux is faster than Win anything anyway and the only reason i use Win10 is for benching and games. Even games are moving to Proton with a lot of them knocking Win10 into the dust.

2. humbug

Caporegime

i'm pretty stoked to see Linux getting some attention RE: gaming, yeah Windows is dog poo and i would drop it right away if i knew i could rely on it for gaming.

Gaming on Linux is critical to Valves success with the Steam Deck so they are throwing their wight behind it.

3. kitfit1

Mobster

It's not in a place that is fully ready for gaming yet......................but i think it may well be within the next year or so. With Steam behind it all the major players will have to wade in and embrace and code for it. What really matters though is that gamers will see an huge uplift in performance that totally out performs even a generation of GPU upgrade.

4. humbug

Caporegime

Yes exactly, and i for one am looking forward to it :)

5. g67575

Mobster

Linux is a yawn fest, tell me I'm wrong.

6. kitfit1

Mobster

As long as they actually move to Linux of course. To be honest, if things go the way i hope they will, anyone still gaming on windows in a year or so is a looser that just dosn't understand.

7. kitfit1

Mobster

Go back to sleep then.

8. humbug

Caporegime

You're wrong.

9. SKILL

Soldato

It will be very interesting to see, given Valves adoption and push for the Steam Deck, and the hype that seems to be around it, it's quite possibly going to make some serious inroads...

Haven't AMD already raised at least one PR in the kernel for a fairly healthy improvement in performance due to the work between AMD and Valve on the Steam Deck? With presumably more to come. Good times for all :p

Personally I'd love that, I work daily on/with Linux and much prefer the environment (mostly just due to familiarity tbh) so if I could ditch Windows entirely then all the better.

10. TNA

Capodecina

Agreed.

Hold on, was you not permabanned? How did you get back in? :cry:

What exactly did you do to get banned anyways? :)

11. jigger

Capodecina

I can think of some super useful workloads that will likely benefit really well.

12. Panos

Capodecina

Asked for my account to be deleted per GDPR. OCUK agreed to do so over a year ago. Yet here we are, they just ban the account but never deleted it even if several times asked them to do.

So because with Skeeter play together X4 Foundations, asked OCUK to activate it again and here I am. :D

Though the perma ban on the Graphic Card section is still ON for my argument with Grim5 and 4K<forgot the rest> :D

13. Panos

Capodecina

Consider this. On Linux atm we have SAM and Ray Tracing on all AMD GPUs with CGN 1.1 or newer.
    Scheduler (aka governor) works amazingly well with AMD CPUs too. While on Windows 10 the X4 Foundations is restricted to 6 cores somehow, on Linux using 10 and the perf is noticeable in CPU bound process of the background simulator.

Even some people rewrote how L3 can be used to boost perf back in 2019.

14. 4K8KW10

Capodecina

Oh dear. Welcome back.
    I didn't know that I held that responsibility for you being suspended :eek:

You are actually my favourite forum member :cool:

15. pete910

Mobster

Seriously ?

Uses all of my 5950x, Is the windows version not Vulkan ?

16. Panos

Capodecina

It is, however never used more than 6 on the 3900X! Linux on the other side 10 easily.

17. pete910

Mobster

Well that's pants, I too was referring to Linux with my usage ;)

18. Panos

Capodecina

:D

Now you intrigue me because was ready to get a 5800X and replace the 3900X. Contemplating finding a used 5950X now :D

19. pete910

Mobster

They are bat **** insane in linux :D

20. humbug

Caporegime

AMD: Make Linux Great Again.