• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD end driver support for everything up to and including the Fury X

Soldato
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ends-driver-support-for-radeon-200-300-and-fury-series

Disgraceful from AMD. GPUs from mid-2015 are now left without driver support. Nvidia have only just ended regular driver updates for Kepler, with less frequent releases promised for another couple of years. AMD are completely dropping cards sold as competitors to Maxwell. This comes on the eve of a new release of Windows as well, meaning there will be no Windows 11 drivers for anything older than Polaris.

"FineWine" right, guys? ;)

Soldato
Is there issues playing games on said cards? If not then no need to support em, the drivers in the future will still work with the cards and ppl can play games with em still. If theres any serious issues then game companies might patch their games to fix stuff that only affects old specific cards, who knows. Dont think this will change anything tbh.

Soldato
OP
Might as well post this here also then.

NVIDIA Officially Retiring Driver Support For Its Kepler GPUs on 31st August, Farewell GeForce 600/700 & First Titan Series Graphics Cards

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...00-700-first-titan-series-graphics-cards/amp/

Nice attempt at damage control, but you've failed to read properly. Nvidia are only ending 'Game Ready' driver support for Kepler, which is from 2012. They've also promised ongoing bug fix updates for it, meaning it isn't even actually dropped. Maybe read more than the headline. It's hardly the same as AMD ending all driver support for cards from mid-2015.

Associate
Thread in a nutshell - NV fan slates AMD, then 6 minutes later.....

Might as well post this here also then.

NVIDIA Officially Retiring Driver Support For Its Kepler GPUs on 31st August, Farewell GeForce 600/700 & First Titan Series Graphics Cards

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccfte...00-700-first-titan-series-graphics-cards/amp/

loooool.

You mean cards till mid 2015 are no longer supported.

This wouldn’t bother me, they’re 6 years old now. Can’t expect companies to throw resources at old products forever.

This all day long. Product support can't continue forever. It's not like the last available driver will just stop working.

Caporegime
Nice attempt at damage control, but you've failed to read properly. Nvidia are only ending 'Game Ready' driver support for Kepler, which is from 2012. They've also promised ongoing bug fix updates for it, meaning it isn't even actually dropped. Maybe read more than the headline. It's hardly the same as AMD ending all driver support for cards from mid-2015.
Why do you keep saying from mid 2015. It’s up to mid 2015. Fury X is the youngest card involved and that was a 2015 release

Soldato
I wonder exactly what "support" means tho. Is it bug fixes support, is it feature support like fsr for old cards etc. What specifically i wonder is "support" that is being dropped for said cards.

Soldato
OP
Is there issues playing games on said cards?
Yes, once Windows 11 comes out you won't be able to play any games at all, since there will be no drivers for that OS for these cards. The fact that people are defending this is baffling. Even the AMD subreddit is calling it out for being a ****ty move.

Why do you keep saying from mid 2015. It’s until mid 2015. Fury X is the youngest card involved and that was a 2015 release
Yes? What's your point, caller? Is the Fury X not from 2015 then? Is it not a 2015 card being dropped? I wouldn't have a problem with them dropping GCN 1.0, given its age, but tossing GCN 2.0 and 3.0 in with it is just opportunism. They're not even cards with the same feature set, with the latter architectures being much more modern and still supporting the latest DX12 games.

Caporegime
Yes, once Windows 11 comes out you won't be able to play any games at all, since there will be no drivers for that OS for these cards. The fact that people are defending this is baffling. Even the AMD subreddit is calling it out for being a ****ty move.

Yes? What's your point, caller? Is the Fury X not from 2015 then? Is it not a 2015 card being dropped? I wouldn't have a problem with them dropping GCN 1.0, given its age, but tossing GCN 2.0 and 3.0 in with it is just opportunism. They're not even cards with the same feature set, with the latter architectures being much more modern and still supporting the latest DX12 games.
From mid 2015 makes it sound like cards released after 2015 are being retired. It’s cards up to mid 2015 that are being retired.

it’s simple English.

All those cards must be awful to play modern games on anyway.

Soldato

Wrong current drivers work on the leak version of Windows 11.
Windows 11 is based on Windows 10 its just a redesign with some under the hood.

Soldato
And Windows 7, AMD has killed off Windows 7 support for its GPUs

and then AMD has prematurely killed off relatively recent GPUs just to avoid having to give them FSR

Caporegime
From an AMD perspective I’d have to wonder if a customer who only buys a card every 6-10 years is a customer worth having. Much better to throw your money into new tech for customers who upgrade every year or two.

Soldato
Hmm if they dont work then yes thats a issue on windows 11. If.. they dont work. Id be surprised that they wouldnt tho. If i had a old card id just take a wait and see and see if anything really would stop me using said card on win 11. I would think microsoft would at least provide some driver for them to work at least.

Personally im a bit surprised by MS, as im sure they said win 10 was the last ever version they would do, didnt they?

Also, even tho it apparently is coming, win 11 i mean, would all those using old cards necessarily move to win 11 as soon as it launches or can they just stick to win 10?

Soldato
OP
From mid 2015 makes it sound like cards released after 2015 are being retired. It’s cards up to mid 2015 that are being retired.

it’s simple English.
Simple English is what you seem incapable of grasping. "Cards from mid-2015" is very clearly referring to... cards from mid-2015. As in cards that were released in mid-2015. I can't imagine the mental gymnastics it would take to read that as meaning cards released after that point.

Wrong current drivers work on the leak version of Windows 11.
Windows 11 is based on Windows 10 its just a redesign with some under the hood.
That's completely meaningless. They work on an early, leaked version of Windows 11 that's essentially just Windows 10. That implies absolutely nothing about support for the final version. Most of the underlying OS hasn't even been updated to call it Windows 11 yet. There are still references to Windows 10 everywhere under the hood, which is what driver installers and such will be seeing, rather than the new logo hastily slapped on the UI. Every version of Windows is essentially just a redesign of the previous version with some under the hood changes, yet driver support doesn't carry forwards. Hell, driver support sometimes hasn't even carried forward between different versions of Windows 10. A sound card that I have works on older versions of Windows 10, but not the latest couple as Creative dropped support for it in the interim, and the drivers for old versions of Windows 10 don't work on the latest version.

Back
Top Bottom