• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FidelityFX And Radeon Image Sharpening Tested vs DLSS

Soldato
The fact that this can be used for either Nvidia or Amd is a win win for everyone. It does indeed make the image cleaner, its it a must have feature probably not but in saying that anything that makes the image look better without a hit on performance is a big win, win.

This Open Source method requires engine support while the Radeon image sharpening is a driver toggle feature that just needs a game to be running on the supported API.

Link to Web site has side by side images.

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/software/amd_fidelity_fx_review_-_featuring_rage_2/1

RIS vs DLSS tested = AI Fail

Thanks, @Panos for post added to OP

UdgSPCQ.png [/QUOTE]

Here you go, CAS on any hardware through reshade:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cc0575/i_ported_fidelityfx_cas_to_reshade_so_anyone_can/

Last edited:
Permabanned
The top image looks like going from 1080p to 4k i really hope they manage this. I find it weird thier VSR still sucks yet this FidelityFX is really impessive.

One thing bother me though, TruAudio remember? AMD will probably let this die to be honest i hope not this plus Nvidia DSR means HFR 1080p or dare i say it 1440p would be better over 4k 60hz.

Permabanned
Why do you say that? I use it to downsample from 5K and think it looks great! For example..

Because it has or had in the spec sheet very narrow cases where it worked it does not do 4k above 60fps, And 1440p also has limitations. The Nvidia version has no framerate limits and allows x4 your native res.

But when done specifcally at x4 with 0% smoothing the way it was intended you get something about half way to true 4k but crucially at any framerate you like. Nvidia are so far ahead here believe it or not you can tecnically do 8k at 240fps on Nvidia on a 1080p monitor! You actually do see fidelity increases also and its super sharp i tested it in For Honor at 8k the chainmail just keeps becoming more and more detailed. But i had like 25fps as well.

I stick to 4k 120 right now, I will move again to 240hz once the KD25F is released and in would love this feature on top of 4k DSR. Because i think i can get most of the sharpness from the 4k image but on my framerate and panel size of choice.

Soldato
OP
Because it has or had in the spec sheet very narrow cases where it worked it does not do 4k above 60fps, And 1440p also has limitations. The Nvidia version has no framerate limits and allows x4 your native res.

But when done specifcally at x4 with 0% smoothing the way it was intended you get something about half way to true 4k but crucially at any framerate you like. Nvidia are so far ahead here believe it or not you can tecnically do 8k at 240fps on Nvidia on a 1080p monitor! You actually do see fidelity increases also and its super sharp i tested it in For Honor at 8k the chainmail just keeps becoming more and more detailed. But i had like 25fps as well.

I stick to 4k 120 right now, I will move again to 240hz once the KD25F is released and in would love this feature on top of 4k DSR. Because i think i can get most of the sharpness from the 4k image but on my framerate and panel size of choice.

Not sure what has changed, the last time I checked out VSR was on R9 290. With my VEGA 64 I can do 4k at 120hz and 5k at 60hz
Not sure if Navi can do better.

59373036d3eb27148c59a544dfab02a3d108449a339cf82f0b67952b7dc4943f2d267298.jpg

Caporegime
It is exactly as i said, just a simple sharpening filter similar to what Nvidia has offered for several years. It isn;t offering any kind of advanced upscaling capabilities

Soldato
OP
It is exactly as i said, just a simple sharpening filter similar to what Nvidia has offered for several years. It isn;t offering any kind of advanced upscaling capabilities

It is lol?

It's adjustable on the fly reading the image and sharpening where needed.
What you saying is a full image sharpening that nvidia offer or reshade.
This is very different and far from a basic simple sharpening like you say.

Also what matters is the final image and so far it seems to be positive.

Soldato

No way can Nvidia's sharpening filter make the finer details pop like in the image shown. I thought AMD is probably applying the filter at a higher resolution and then downscaling to the output resolution but they claim that there is no performance hit so it must be a different method.

01044844659s.jpg

Caporegime
It is lol?

It's adjustable on the fly reading the image and sharpening where needed.
What you saying is a full image sharpening that nvidia offer or reshade.
This is very different and far from a basic simple sharpening like you say.

Also what matters is the final image and so far it seems to be positive.

It is contrast based sharpening, there is nothing special happening at all. This is the standard image sharpening filter used by Photoshop etc.

Caporegime
No way can Nvidia's sharpening filter make the finer details pop like in the image shown. I thought AMD is probably applying the filter at a higher resolution and then downscaling to the output resolution but they claim that there is no performance hit so it must be a different method.

01044844659s.jpg

It is not applying any kind of scaling. It is just a standars sharpening filter. And yes, of course Nvidia's sharpening filter can do the same, that is the whole point.

Caporegime
It is scaling! Dam DP do some homework. The scaling is happening GPU side to the display.

Not from the sharpening algorithm though, the scaling is the same bicubic scaling that has existed in GPUs since they existed. AMD hasn't done anything differently here.

Caporegime
But not by nvidia is it? Like I said if it creates a 4k like image it's good.

I don't know what exact sharpening algorithm Nvidia uses, but even if Nvidia has a basic USM filter then making a contrast adaptive sharpening is probably less than 1 days work. There is no unique algorithm or IP, no patents, no deep insights. It is a well known, well published and very simple algorithm.

Caporegime
He's spreading misinformation and doing damage control for Nvidia as always. These kinds of shill will never change.

I am repeating what AMD have announced. AMD said it is contrast adaptive sharpening. .

Is AMD spreading misinformation? Is AMD a laid Nvidia still?

Soldato
OP
Not from the sharpening algorithm though, the scaling is the same bicubic scaling that has existed in GPUs since they existed. AMD hasn't done anything differently here.

Like I have told you since day one. AMD is using something that has already existed from a GPU/Display upscaling yes I give you that.

They have added driver side tweaking to make this upscaling better then it would normally be.

The end result is a 4k image from a lower resolution and going by feedback it does a good job.

It really doesn't matter how amd get there so long as the end result is good enough.

Soldato
The end result is a 4k image from a lower resolution and going by feedback it does a good job.
Where are you getting 4k from? AMD doesn't say anything about scaling on the website and even the review stated the screenshots were taken at 1080p..

These screenshots were taken at 1080p on an Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Ti at Ultra settings with resolution scaling disabled.

Not only that but they were taken on an nVidia card so none of those so called 'driver side scaling tweaks' would apply here anyway ...

Back
Top Bottom