AMD launches B550 motherboards

Soldato
Announcement here. But we're going to have to wait.

These new CPUs come accompanied by the new B550 chipset, which will ensure more cost-effective motherboards for those building on a budget. B550 will be the only mainstream modern chipset to support PCIe 4.0, so you can still benefit from extremely fast SSD speeds. The Ryzen 3 series is coming in May, but B550 motherboards will be a little behind, with models from the likes of ASRock, ASUS, Biostar, Colorful, GIGABYTE and MSI expected in June.

Soldato
Seems funny launching these so late as there will be no upgrade path, makes better sense for those already on x570 and Zen 2 chips to go to Zen 3. Which i will do if they are a good jump in gaming, then see if Intel makes a comeback with large jumps in single core performance next year or 2022.

Soldato
I am considering Ryzen 4000, but I think it might burning money because a 3700X isn't going to be maxed out in games until maybe 5000 arrives.

I'm just thinking if the B350 is actually limiting clocks slightly on my 3700x.

Soldato
Didn't they say awhile back that the 550 board will have a much larger Bios than the older boards for CPU microcodes and bug fixes?

Soldato
OP
Wouldnt it be best waiting for Zen3?

You can always wait. Or you can get on with it. A B550 launch in June means that they will be available for the next round of GPU launches this summer. Which, of course, will be PCIe v4. While the RTX Titan can't max out v3, I expect the next high-end GPUs will be limited by v3.

Soldato
If you don't have any pci-e 4 GPUs or nvme then no it won't be worth it, because that's the only thing extra it will bring to the table, as someone else said, may as well wait for Ryzen 4000, I think that's coming September time, or planned for release then.
It will also likely improve RAM overclocking compared against some older boards, even for Ryzen 3000.

Soldato
Really itching to downsize to ITX, hope the ITX options are good for b550 and nvme pci4 drives arent silly money

I wonder if I'll be able to get faster ram this time or if my 3200 kit will make its way into its 3rd build

Soldato
Really itching to downsize to ITX, hope the ITX options are good for b550 and nvme pci4 drives arent silly money

I wonder if I'll be able to get faster ram this time or if my 3200 kit will make its way into its 3rd build

Normally better . 6 PCB layers Vs 4 on ATX boards for b450 series . Then integrated MOSFETs , guessing 6 x50amp units .
These with ram , 4000 kits should play by cely die to dimm design , just need good imc on chip . Most records least for intel set on ITX . AMD it's trx40 due to cherry picked ccx units

Soldato
Normally better . 6 PCB layers Vs 4 on ATX boards for b450 series . Then integrated MOSFETs , guessing 6 x50amp units .
These with ram , 4000 kits should play by cely die to dimm design , just need good imc on chip . Most records least for intel set on ITX . AMD it's trx40 due to cherry picked ccx units

Sounds good, I'll be looking for something where I can just select XMP thats a good upgrade from DDR4 3200 C16, defintely wont be doing any manual OC's I just dont have the time anymore!

Caporegime
I’ve got an email from Gigabyte about an Aorus press event coming up on the 30 April. Says something is coming, and the background pic looks like silhouettes of boards.

Reckon this could be the launch of their B550’s?

OvmGvTq.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom