1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Gregster, 8 Nov 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Oblong

Wise Guy

Good point. Maybe they're already in British airspace, just circulating endlessly with midair refuelling...

2. kohlditz

Mobster

I agree with most of this, but arguably a better parallel is Zen2 - RDNA1 never competed at the high end, but it was an excellent midrange card, driver issues apart (I had problems with them also, principally around booting windows and waking from sleep).

If this does deliver on the goals they set on their roadmap, and they again deliver on RDNA3 then they may well be in market leading position. Nvidias' consumer GPU's are essentially repurposed compute cards derived from the Volta/Turing/Ampere family whereas AMD have seemingly forked designs into RDNA and CDNA. Maybe there's a more consumer centric architecture in the pipeline at Nvidia, but who knows; that would take years to design.

Xe is super exciting also.

3. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

I hope this blows Nvidia out of the water in every regard.

4. degen

Hitman

Chill out. Anyway I got a 3080 FE. So have many others. Difficult to attain? Yes. Mythical? Hahaha.

5. docsonic

Wise Guy

In the context of this thread I can't help feel the more interesting question is who leaked this given how tight-lipped AMD have been? Did they sanction it? Was it a mistake for Paul to leak this?

6. Twinz

Wise Guy

He said he wasn't "allowed" to show charts, games etc.

That choice of words got my attention.

7. docsonic

Wise Guy

I hope for his sake that the leak is true otherwise his credibility will take a coretek down the pan. But if it is true, I kind of wish he hadn't leaked it..

8. Scougar

Capodecina

Based on that video here is my question:

If we making assumption that the Ray Tracing performance of the 6800xt RT will be at RTX2080ti levels, then will that RT even be supported in games like Control/Battlefield?

9. KentMan

Hitman

Sounding good to me, im at 3440x1440p 100hz, so sounds like i can turn it all up to 11 and enjoy :) just need prices now.

Not buying the thing in his video about prices though, AMD know they need to undercut Nvidia to claw into much needed marketshare.

DLSS competitor was slated possibly Dec or Jan, that sounds later to me. Interesting he said visual fidelity slightly worse but frame rates much better than Nvidias DLSS.

Soon the argument will be "But Nvidias DLSS looks better"

Will be hilarious if enabling the AMD upsampling and Ray Tracing out performs Nvidia in some titles

10. DDH

Gangster

It's Microsoft DXR, so yes. NVIDIA sponsored titles I'd imagine are optimised for nvidias approach however

11. kohlditz

Mobster

So they just take the Xbox Series X port and turn the settings up to 11.

12. Grim5

Sgarrista

If it did it would blow your wallet out of the water too :D

13. Mr Oblong

Wise Guy

It's worth being impoverished if it delivers high quality fanboy war banter!

14. Donald Duck

Associate

Thats a silly attitude. Anyone can create an upscaler than looks worse. Looking good is the only difficult part of it.

15. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Looks good if true. He says that RT performance is closer to a RTX2080TI.

16. danlightbulb

Mobster

If they do delay the launch to get more stock, I guess its not a bad idea really. Plus it will give some 3080s time to arrive as well so less pressure on the AMD cards that I want.

17. jommy999

Gangster

I bought Nvidia cards in passed 15y but this time i really want AMD to kick Nvidia ass and It will be fun to see Nvidia fanboys reaction .

18. KentMan

Hitman

So what we all thinking then if these rumors are true? Reference 6800 or Partner 6800? Im thinking Reference 6800XT or whatever it is will be around £599, partner card £630+?

Sapphire Toxic if they do one, or a Powercolor card top of the line.

Looking mainly towards a high end Sapphire though.

19. Th0nt

Capodecina

Reference or AIB depends on availability and prices. A quality Sapphire would do wonders, yeah doubt they have time to roll out a toxic? 6800XT looks the one to get.

20. Scougar

Capodecina

I'm not assuming any of it is true tbh. Simply see what happens on game day :)

If we build an expectation of perf will equal X card then, then we set ourselves up for failure mentally. 4days. Take a break, wait for the announcement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.