• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I use to watch a lot of Jay videos and got the impression he was a shill. Not necessarily a paid one. Just very Pro Nvidia with contacts within Nvidia AIBs to get free stuff.

He's part of the wave that's basically outsourced marketing. He exists as a means for companies to promote their hardware, rather than to educate & inform the public, same as Linus etc. The OGs that are focused on technical info & accuracy are pretty much gone, with few exceptions here and there (and generally obscure). It's mostly down to the viewership/readership, same as with rage&click-bait content of all types. It's what the people want.

Associate
He's part of the wave that's basically outsourced marketing. He exists as a means for companies to promote their hardware, rather than to educate & inform the public, same as Linus etc. The OGs that are focused on technical info & accuracy are pretty much gone, with few exceptions here and there (and generally obscure). It's mostly down to the viewership/readership, same as with rage&click-bait content of all types. It's what the people want.

Agreed. Gamers Nexus always come across as purely objective, even though the constant negativity can grate a little. Hardware Unboxed seem to have a lot of integrity too.

Soldato
Gamers Nexus always come across as purely objective
Except when AMD give Intel a good kicking. Go back and watch the 3950X and especially the Threadripper 3 reviews. Every time a chart came up that utterly humiliated Intel he looked like he was dry heaving. And although he was largely positive towards the 5700XT, he still managed to ****, bitch, moan and and complain the entire time so it sounded incredibly negative.

Man of Honour
Except when AMD give Intel a good kicking. Go back and watch the 3950X and especially the Threadripper 3 reviews. Every time a chart came up that utterly humiliated Intel he looked like he was dry heaving. And although he was largely positive towards the 5700XT, he still managed to ****, bitch, moan and and complain the entire time so it sounded incredibly negative.

But in other videos he also does the same when it is the other way around (it is generally more about the specific product). I'm not gonna say he is purely objective but as is sadly so often the case people with a bias one way or another seem to have a filter in what they see or don't see.

He isn't purely objective - he comes from a more Intel centric background despite an attempt to not let that come through in his professional content the last few years and does use AMD systems personally and behind the scenes for a lot of stuff these days.

Caporegime
Held off for this long, may as well sub to the thread now. I suspect we're gonna see Big Navi preeeeettyy soon :) (purely my own speculation given whats been said by AMD so far and putting other bits together)

My suspicions/guess are we'll see it Sept or Oct.

Associate

I don't see that. The conclusion for the 3950X is pretty positive, and he's nonplussed by plenty of Nvidia GPUs, such as the 2080S. In the 10900K review he's at pains to emphasise how it's advantages are very niche. He seems consistent to me and generally hard to impress, (which as I said can grate at times), he moans about plenty of things in most reviews.

Soldato
I see.
If you look at that video now he has over 200K views. I don't think other "youtubers" like him have that kind of reach except LTT.
I can understand why AMD outsourced Navi2 to him. I only hope Navi2 is overclockable. Because that's one of the things he will want to do with the card.

Man of Honour
I don't see that. The conclusion for the 3950X is pretty positive, and he's nonplussed by plenty of Nvidia GPUs, such as the 2080S. In the 10900K review he's at pains to emphasise how it's advantages are very niche. He seems consistent to me and generally hard to impress, (which as I said can grate at times), he moans about plenty of things in most reviews.

I think it has become his "thing" to come over as a bit grumpy and hard to impress - not quite doing a Alan Sugar but he seems to be channelling a bit of that of late (personally I think it is going a bit too far).

As unfortunately seems to happen on both sides of the fence and whether GPUs, politics or whatever the fanboys only see when someone is being critical of their brand and positive of the other brand and somehow don't seem to see when it happens the other way around even when it is perfectly balanced. In their eyes I don't think anyone is "balanced" unless they are signing the praises of their brand to the high heavens and dissing the competition.

Associate
I think Steve just gets a bit fed up reviewing essentially the same stuff, and seeing sloppy errors but gives genuine praise where praise is due. Zen 3 will be an interesting review from Gamers Nexus imho looking forward to that one

Soldato
But in other videos he also does the same when it is the other way around (it is generally more about the specific product). I'm not gonna say he is purely objective but as is sadly so often the case people with a bias one way or another seem to have a filter in what they see or don't see.

He isn't purely objective - he comes from a more Intel centric background despite an attempt to not let that come through in his professional content the last few years and does use AMD systems personally and behind the scenes for a lot of stuff these days.
To be fair he's been using a Piledriver CPU in his home rig for years so you could understand any latent hostility towards AMD! :p

Associate
I sold my Vega 56 in May for over £200, have made do with a (borrowed) 1060 6gb and have just bought an 'open box return' Gigabyte OC 5700XT rev2 for £300. It performs well @1440p, very happy with it atm, a good improvement over the Vega.
I don't reckon we'll see the new cards show in significant numbers until around Xmas time, maybe even NY, so the 5700 will scratch an itch for those few months.
Hopefully without too much of a loss in resale value.

Last edited:
Associate
I sold my Vega 56 in May for over £200, have made do with a (borrowed) 1060 6gb and have just bought an 'open box return' Gigabyte OC 5700XT rev2 for £300. It performs well @1440p, very happy with it atm, a good improvement over the Vega.

I was thinking about selling mine and grabbing a 5700xt, but loads of people were advertising theres for £100-125 in classifieds

Thoroughly test that card as Gigabyte have a poor record

Associate
I was thinking about selling mine and grabbing a 5700xt, but loads of people were advertising theres for £100-125 in classifieds

Thoroughly test that card as Gigabyte have a poor record
I think i just made the selling window, I sold mine on ebay to a buyer from Italy, and several other bits like my motherboard and 4770k went to Europe too. Do parts cost more over on the continent? Even after fees etc i think i got something like £207 but it was the powercolour red devil so quite sort after.

I was initially put off by gigabyte as a brand, however their 5700xt which has the triple fans has some great reviews & it seems to run cool and quiet playing RDR2 on (near unanimous) ultra settings.

Caporegime

That sounds pretty objective to me. I don't understand the fawning over the 5700XT from some.
It's a so-so card (And one I've owned since launch and have built several rigs with)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom