• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Ready for prime time? Unlikely. This is with DLSS on Quality (4K), but extra details still at 0%. Note: it's not generally like this but this is a very reflections intensive area, which imo should be the barometer anyway for such effects, not just a single puddle in a scene.

pB1ZsMs.jpg.png

I will say this though, there's definitely room for ray tracing as an ultra high-end option (I'm happy if these exist just for future hardware & for them being something extra when you play them again years down the line). It just isn't more than that right now, and not for years to come. I do wish it were, because I was playing KCD recently and I was just dreaming of RT shadows fixing so many of that game's shadows issues but then again, even SotTR only half-implemented RT shadows because they're just TOO EXPENSIVE! So I guess we're still many years out regardless. I'm still optimistic & hopeful for RT but I think the next 10 years will still be rasterisation-dominated and for good reasons.

As I mentioned before the problem here is trying to keep one leg in each generation of technology - with a proper path tracer from the ground up within reason it doesn't matter how many puddles are in an area the performance impact is largely the same, within a small percentage, whether it is 1 or 10 or 100. And if the game was written for path tracing from the ground up without having to worry about rendering it using backwards compatible techniques you'd get a raft of GI, etc. features for little more than the cost of a few puddles currently.

Best post you made to date for me! :)

Not really - he has a huge ego problem that he then projects on to other people.

Associate
3090 buyers will be ****** if Nvidia releases a larger GA101 on TSMC by July.. this looks like a much smaller concern :)

I believe pricing will be in reactionary mode.. depends on AMD

Dunno im not sold on the Nvidia refresh on TSMC, afaik they are using TSMC for their data center stuff no? mind you wouldnt put it past them refreshing Ampere on a diff node as lets be honest the Samsung evidence does not look particularly great.

Soldato
As I mentioned before the problem here is trying to keep one leg in each generation of technology - with a proper path tracer from the ground up within reason it doesn't matter how many puddles are in an area the performance impact is largely the same, within a small percentage, whether it is 1 or 10 or 100. And if the game was written for path tracing from the ground up without having to worry about rendering it using backwards compatible techniques you'd get a raft of GI, etc. features for little more than the cost of a few puddles currently.
Yes, that make sense & also why I want it - we're very restricted with the number of shadow casting lights atm, very heavily. The question is - what's the floor of performance required for this (for typical AAA games)? Obviously though with consoles unable to do it with this coming gen, it means we're at least waiting until next round.

Man of Honour
Dunno im not sold on the Nvidia refresh on TSMC, afaik they are using TSMC for their data center stuff no? mind you wouldnt put it past them refreshing Ampere on a diff node as lets be honest the Samsung evidence does not look particularly great.

I don't know the full extent of it but nVidia have a huge range of products in production on TSMC 7nm including GeForce lines as well as compute and data centre stuff, etc. and stuff in the pipeline on 5nm including some "super secret" project no one has been able to get any details on - some claim it to be Hopper but that level of secrecy is more likely something they are building for another company like Mercedes.

Associate
I don't know the full extent of it but nVidia have a huge range of products in production on TSMC 7nm including GeForce lines

Ampere looks like it is superior to RDNA2 on paper.. as it matches AMD performance at lower clocks. I would still await details on navi transistor count before firming my opinion.

This is turning out to be a good battle

Man of Honour
Everyone is noticing this slowly :D

I have to say personally I have no interest in trying to make out like I'm all-knowing, etc. as he claims - something I learnt long ago on the internet when it comes to any topic no matter how well you think you know it, no matter how much knowledge and experience you actually have, there is always a bigger fish :D and it can be quite scary just how in depth some people's knowledge and experience in any given field can be.

Ampere looks like it is superior to RDNA2 on paper.. as it matches AMD performance at lower clocks. I would still await details on navi transistor count before firming my opinion.

This is turning out to be a good battle

On an unrelated note - some people who understand these architectures properly have noticed a number of things nVidia have done with Ampere towards building a path to future MCM architectures where things like cache implementation has been "detached" and implemented in a more abstract manner etc. such as https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1318781796360675330

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I have to say personally I have no interest in trying to make out like I'm all-knowing, etc. as he claims - something I learnt long ago on the internet when it comes to any topic no matter how well you think you know it, no matter how much knowledge and experience you actually have, there is always a bigger fish :D and it can be quite scary just how in depth some people's knowledge and experience in any given field can be.
Indeed.

Soldato
Nvidia is in full panic mode.

Kopeiite just spotted a GA102 Gpu with 78SMs unlocked and on a 384bit bus with 12gb vram. This looks like the 3080ti, brought out earlier than Nvidia expected no doubt

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nvidia is in full panic mode.

Kopeiite just spotted a GA102 Gpu with 72SMs unlocked and on a 384bit bus with 12gb vram. This looks like the 3080ti, brought out earlier than Nvidia expected no doubt
Yeah, sounds like it. That GPU will likely be around $999 unless AMD force their hand.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Are we anywhere near having the power to make this a reality tho... I still get the distinct impression we're hyping up RT years before it's ready for prime time, because we just don't have the power necessary to go all-out RT and really derive the full benefit from it.

This is the point, not being negative, but the techniques and shortcuts need to be eeked out before we can absorb the extra effects without having a huge penalty. Its not good for any GPU maker to claim 'ray tracing' if they are hoodwinking you into buying a weaker card if they have no way of delivering that performance, its bad form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom