• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Soldato
Intel aren't going under anytime soon, remember there's die hard lunatics like you, but flying Intel's flag. Love a bit of sensationalism though, it doesn't make you look bonkers at all... honestly.

I refuse to buy any mainstream Intel products based solely on their absoultely disgraceful business practices over the years. A lot of people share those views. Sticking to AMD has nothing to do with being a die hard fan, even if it means buying a slower product.

Last edited:
Associate
What?
I don't touch an intel product and run away from them as far as possible.

86% sales share for AMD and 14% sales for intel at big retailers point exactly to bad times for intel.

For your information, I am right now building a new Athlon 64 4400+ X2 | 4GB DDR400 system, upgrade from Athlon 64 3700+ | 2GB DDR400. :D

Yeah I know, that's effectively what I just said... die hard fans at both ends who will only buy from one party lol.

86% sales from a collection off online retailers means the enthusiast market trend might be shifting, which in terms of Intel's overall sales revenue I imagine is pretty small. OEM and server purchases still are vastly with Intel. Whomever buys the IT kit at our place probably hasn't heard of Intel, then on top of that you have support partners who recommend build specs, which I've never seen one with anything AMD on it.

I refuse to buy any mainstream Intel products based solely on their absoultely disgraceful business practices over the years. A lot of people share those views. Sticking to AMD has nothing to do with being a die hard fan, even if it means buying a slower product.

Im ruthless, I'll buy whatever suits my purpose. This time AMD seemed the better choice due to not needing a new motherboard every upgrade.

Associate
This ;)

Soldato

Oddly enough all of my self builds have been AMD. I've never built an Intel based system. (I must have a thing for under dogs or saving money.. Haha!) I've got an Intel laptop but it was an ex work one that was passed to me after a refresh. I have had Nvidia, ATi, AMD, 3DFX GPU's though.

Associate
AMD has dethroned Intel's 9900K and 9600K from the top 10 best sellers list on the US site :eek:
Top12.jpg

Soldato
I think that depends where you look.

AMD are definitely making great strides though - Zen 2 finally hitting laptops is what was really needed to get a massive market thinking AMD again... I think by the end of this year AMD will be much better known among the general public.

Shame they didn’t go the whole hog and use RDNA based GPUs to pair with the Zen 2 cores in the APUs. Must have had their reasons though!

As an enthusiast I was disappointed not to get more Zen 3 info and something high end in the GPU department, but as a shareholder I’m very happy with their bold move into mobile... it’s a huge market that intel dominates, and AMD are about to shake it up like they did with desktop.

Caporegime
OP
Its never CES where AMD make any noise about next generation CPU's and high end GPU's, too early in the year.

Although we didn't get a look at big Navi the £250 price bracket that the RX 580 once occupied is getting a true replacement, AMD's £200 to £300 GPU's do sell very well.
AMD are now selling a Desktop CPU for $4,000, and it will sell in big numbers because its an absolute monster, it is, by far the most powerful CPU on earth, significantly faster than Intel's $20,000 offerings and you better believe people will be queuing out the door to get one....

Its not just that AMD have such a halo product in their line up, its the Kudos, the mind share of it, there are only two X86 CPU vendors and AMD are making the most powerful ones. That speaks volumes to consumers.

Me thinks intel's mind share is gone.

Edit: yes i almost forgot, Laptops, 2020 is the year AMD crack that nut.

Permabanned

I share that venomous dislike for Intel now too, I feel really angry about how they abused socket swaps alongside motherboard vendors they crooked us! Now when you say buying slower products though well that is where we differ.

I kept using Intel but as soon as they fall i intend to abandon them totally in revenge and they will not regain that trust it is a moral lesson to everyone including Nvidia. Sadly for Intel though that blow will fall in late 2020 with Zen 3.

Soldato
I think that depends where you look.

AMD are definitely making great strides though - Zen 2 finally hitting laptops is what was really needed to get a massive market thinking AMD again... I think by the end of this year AMD will be much better known among the general public.

Shame they didn’t go the whole hog and use RDNA based GPUs to pair with the Zen 2 cores in the APUs. Must have had their reasons though!

As an enthusiast I was disappointed not to get more Zen 3 info and something high end in the GPU department, but as a shareholder I’m very happy with their bold move into mobile... it’s a huge market that intel dominates, and AMD are about to shake it up like they did with desktop.

AMD may be the fave of the enthusiast market just now but in the long term cycle of enterprise(?) schools, libraries, public buildings etc its Intel all the way they're upgrading their hardware lately due to the Win 10 being the only player in town now. I imagine if anyone asked them about AMD they'd reply "who?"

Soldato
AMD may be the fave of the enthusiast market just now but in the long term cycle of enterprise(?) schools, libraries, public buildings etc its Intel all the way.

That has been the case for 5 or so years but I can say, for sure, that AMD are, with Ryzen 3k/Threadripper/Epic, eating into the high end enterprise/server market at good clip. The main thing keeping Intel relevant is long term contracts, I can guarantee that there are lots of peed off people out there just waiting to dump Intel now that they have a viable alternative - yes this will need time. These people have know for years that they have had to pay Intel's totally absurd prices and even the security holes that are Intel's problem have forced them to buy more Intel servers due to performance regression - these people need security without a doubt..

People see that AMD are executing time after time with Ryzen based CPU's whilst Intel over promises and under-delivers for the last what 4 years? Intels back is against the wall, they are in a massive hole that they seemingly can't get out of any time soon. They've spent more than twice the time on 14nm, again with no end in sight, and their idea of a new generation is two extra cores and a 100MHz speed bump with no change to the cores sans security updates @ ~280-300 Watts!

All good news for AMD at the moment.

Soldato
AMD may be the fave of the enthusiast market just now but in the long term cycle of enterprise(?) schools, libraries, public buildings etc its Intel all the way
Won't be long unless Intel sorts their manufacturing SNAFU.
Those buy mostly what PC makers push and PC makers surely aren't happy with Intel.
Like Dell directly telling that they're going to miss their sales target because of Intel not delivering CPUs.
And cousin working in IT-support of schools of one city recently told me that some of their PC deliveries got delayed couple months because of same reason.
So once long term contracts expire, Intel is going to have to do whole lots of explaining why they should be used.

Though of course one big factor is economy and any downturn could slowdown purchases quite fast.
But also in that case Intel would have to do some serious explaining to justify their prices.

Back
Top Bottom