• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD on the road to recovery.

Associate
That isn't wise - to wait for the better times is more acceptable, don't you think?
Intel's CPUs are old technology and not reliable - high upfront cost, high to-run cost, security threats, hot and power hungry, shady illegal business, etc, etc.

Meanwhile, AMD's stock keeps losing value :eek:
What is happening in AMD? :confused:

Presumably it depends on whether they need an actual working computer or just an email with a preorder ID :p

I'm glad I got my AMD build when I did, but I have a second system that has been waiting on a CPU for a month, if I didn't already have the rest of the components and I was in a hurry I'd have few other options.

Unfortunately it is the age old problem of over promising and under delivering.
I get that they need to keep the pressure on intel and NVidia, but paper launches when combined with the WFH demand and supply chain disruptions of Covid and Brexit aren't doing them any favours at the moment.

They have a great platform, they just need to concentrate on getting it shipped out the door.

Caporegime
OP
https://ir.amd.com/news-events/pres...s-fourth-quarter-and-full-year-2020-financial

Q4 2020.

Revenue: $3.244 Billion. Up 53% on Q4 2019.
Gross profit: $1.45 Billion.
Gross margin: 45%.
Operating expenses: $881 Million.
Operating income: $570 Million.
Tax Valuation Allowance Release Benefit: $1.301 Billion.
Net income: $1.781 Billion.

Year 2020.

Revenue: $9.763 Billion.
Gross profit $4.347 Billion.
Net income: $2.490 Billion.

Vs 2019.

Revenue: $6,731 Billion.
Gross profit $2,868 Billion.
Net income: $341 Million.

Soldato
Yeah, 11.500 Employees, compared with about 120.000 on the Intel side, their 2020 revenue was $77 Billion.
Quite remarkable what AMD have done over the last few years to come from such a weak position to having arguably the best (at they very least perfectly competitive) products from laptops, through desktops and servers to supercomputers. The bigger issue is what Intel have been doing with vast resources over the same period to advice so little?!

Permabanned
Quite remarkable what AMD have done over the last few years to come from such a weak position to having arguably the best (at they very least perfectly competitive) products from laptops, through desktops and servers to supercomputers. The bigger issue is what Intel have been doing with vast resources over the same period to advice so little?!

Intel fails under its own heavy weight.

AMD's laptop products are very good - it is often seen a 35-watt Renoir or Cezanne to be as fast as or even faster than Intel's 95+-watt desktop SKUs.

Associate
Intel's sales were down as well ;)
The shortage did not do any favours to AMD. If they had enough supply they would have kicked the ball out of the park easily

Soldato
Look at the chart, AMD sold near as many 5800X as Intel sold CPU's, and 5600X the same again... So AMD sold Twice as many Zen 3 CPU as Intel sold CPU's
The only reason a lot of people brought the 5800X is because there was no availability on the 5900X.

AMD still need a zen 3 chip in the £200 price range as I doubt the 3600 will hold up against chips like the 11400F.

Caporegime
OP
The most expensive CPU Intel have on this cart is last gen's 9700K, and it is cheap, but ranked higher than it is the 5950X which is also price gouged, its mega money...

Right across the board it doesn't matter if the CPU is cheap, or mega expensive AMD sell them all at a higher rate than Intel, the only ones Intel can sell in real numbers are the cheap ones. the 5900X is the second best selling CPU for #### sake.

Welcome to Intel being the budget brand.

CyKbjpa.png

Caporegime
OP
The only reason a lot of people brought the 5800X is because there was no availability on the 5900X.

AMD still need a zen 3 chip in the £200 price range as I doubt the 3600 will hold up against chips like the 11400F.

I don't think you're reading that chart right, on it AMD sold over 5000 5600X alone last month, Intel sold about 6000 CPU's full stop

Back
Top Bottom