• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon 5600 and 5600 XT speculation

Soldato
As one would expect. What are your thoughts of it coming from at R9 Nano?

A considerable improvement. Rest of the rig is pretty up to date: Ryzen 2900x, 16GB 3200Mhz and an NVMe SSD but it struggled with PUBG in busy situations (one of the primary games I play: high settings + ultra view distance etc.), frequently dipping from 70-80 FPS to around ~45 FPS @ 1080p. The variation in FPS was most off-putting because it was really noticeable during gameplay. With the 5600XT its buttery smooth, 120+ FPS most of the time, same settings. Quite literally it feels like double the performance, which is really great.

Associate
I never update to a new driver straight away I normally leave it a few months, unless I am having a problem with the current one.
That's just common sense, my brother for instance, installs a Bios as soon as its available, new drivers as soon as they are released, yet will not use DDU?. Some people just can't leave a card/GPU/CPU unclocked, have to use hacked bios, Some people just have to skate uphill. I learnt along time ago, just build a rig to your needs, test it, use it. I have spoken.

Associate
Hi all I have a Vega56 saphire and i could swap it for a 5600XT is it worth doing as it will be no cost to me or is it pointless as i am looking at 1440p gaming, I know the vega56 has 8gb ram and these have 6gb ram so would that make much difference

thanks

Soldato
Hi all I have a Vega56 saphire and i could swap it for a 5600XT is it worth doing as it will be no cost to me or is it pointless as i am looking at 1440p gaming, I know the vega56 has 8gb ram and these have 6gb ram so would that make much difference

thanks

The RX5600XT will be faster if both are at stock,but you will lose 2GB of VRAM,so if you like higher resolution textures,it would probably hit problems earlier.

Soldato

thanks

I have Vega 56 myself.

From benchmarks I've seen, there doesn't appear to be a massive difference between the two. Sure, the 5600XT is faster but not by much. Some games you're looking at 10fps, others maybe 5fps. But when the frame rate is already running a decent level that's not going to make a world of difference.

If you're running an RX 580, then the jump to a 5600XT is significant. From a Vega 56/64 not so in my opinion.

Associate
I herd ATI have removed the support of undervolting the vega 56 with the new drivers ? I have not used mine yet.

looked up some reviews it seems a littile faster the 5600 but like you say not buy much

Soldato
A considerable improvement. Rest of the rig is pretty up to date: Ryzen 2900x, 16GB 3200Mhz and an NVMe SSD but it struggled with PUBG in busy situations (one of the primary games I play: high settings + ultra view distance etc.), frequently dipping from 70-80 FPS to around ~45 FPS @ 1080p. The variation in FPS was most off-putting because it was really noticeable during gameplay. With the 5600XT its buttery smooth, 120+ FPS most of the time, same settings. Quite literally it feels like double the performance, which is really great.
That sounds better then I initially thought between the 2 cards. Have you tried tweaking the Image Sharpening feature yet? I can't seem to go beyond 60%.

Soldato
OP
I watched the Digital Foundry review/future thoughts video where he discusses about whether the 5600xt is a decent buy for the money and the future. Basically saying that it probably isn't based on not having Ray Tracing compared to the now cheaper 2060.

This is where I very much disagree for once with DF. The 2060 is not a card that even has enough RT grunt to make it worth while. It's like turning on a feature to say "wow, look at that!", But then turning it back off again to actually play it. Totally pointless. Even in Battlefield, it is used extremely sparingly, and still takes a big hit to where it isn't worth using. What a silly thing to say IMO for such a lower performing card segment for RT.

Maybe you could justify this comment at the 5700xt/2070... But the 2060/5600/5700, heck no.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Agree with you @Scougar . While its a nice card the 2060, its fitting they only dropped £50 off the price when the 5600 got released. So even if you are a fanboy at least you can thank AMD for reducing the price of the 2060!

Should be more interesting when deals start creeping in and game codes, I miss the days when they used to bundle in a 'free' PSU with a purchase as it was a nice component to have spare if you weren't building a new system.

Soldato
OP
The other point is.. if we are talking future state.. then newer titles will be even heavier on RT usage which will show up even more how weak the 2060 is at RT.

The focus should be on things that actually genuinely matter, like average OC ability and placement and other noteworthy features (that matter) from both products.

Edit: the game code things is interesting. You have to be very careful to make sure your product is eligible for the codes you think. Some are only eligible for Xbox game pass.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I watched the Digital Foundry review/future thoughts video where he discusses about whether the 5600xt is a decent buy for the money and the future. Basically saying that it probably isn't based on not having Ray Tracing compared to the now cheaper 2060.

This is where I very much disagree for once with DF. The 2060 is not a card that even has enough RT grunt to make it worth while. It's like turning on a feature to say "wow, look at that!", But then turning it back off again to actually play it. Totally pointless. Even in Battlefield, it is used extremely sparingly, and still takes a big hit to where it isn't worth using. What a silly thing to say IMO for such a lower performing card segment for RT.

Maybe you could justify this comment at the 5700xt/2070... But the 2060/5600/5700, heck no.

At the end of the day it's a feature the 5600XT doesn't have at essentially the same price point and performance level. Why would you choose the card with less features?

I'd also argue it's not useless on the 2060, happily played through the entirety of Control using RT+DLSS, and blasted my way back through Quake 2 with RT. It's good for getting a taste of what RT will offer over the next few years.

But I can see where you're coming from, RT isn't a 'required' feature right now, and by the time it is both cards will be obsolete, so it's not exactly a deal breaker.

Soldato
OP
At the end of the day it's a feature the 5600XT doesn't have at essentially the same price point and performance level. Why would you choose the card with less features?

I'd also argue it's not useless on the 2060, happily played through the entirety of Control using RT+DLSS, and blasted my way back through Quake 2 with RT. It's good for getting a taste of what RT will offer over the next few years.

But I can see where you're coming from, RT isn't a 'required' feature right now, and by the time it is both cards will be obsolete, so it's not exactly a deal breaker.

I probably was a bit more critical of 2060 RT capabilities than I should be I will admit.

For DF to not recommend it as a purchase though.. I just strongly disagree with them. (And I say that having been very critical of AMD recently for their price points and tech decisions).

Back
Top Bottom