• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 3900X on a B450 Mobo

Soldato
It should be fine. TechPowerUp tested one on one of the cheapest B350 boards there was and found that it worked just fine.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-tested-on-cheap-b350-motherboard/

The one concern was how toasty the VRMs got, but even then they were within spec with an air cooler blowing some air over them. Considering that B450 boards have much-improved VRMs over B350, it should be no sweat. I'd still probably recommend using an air cooler to get a little airflow over the VRM heatsinks though. Or just positioning a fan to blow some air over them if you want to use an AIO. As for a move to X570, the upgrades would really be limited to PCIe 4.0 support and better VRMs that will run cooler. Perhaps better memory overclocking, though whether that's even true and whether it matters are both still to be determined.

Associate
I currently have the Asrock Fatality B450 Gamining Mobo. Will this be ok with the AMD Rysen 3900X?

Would I be advised to upgrade and if so what would be the benefit?
It seems like the Asrock B450 Fatal1ty doesn't have the best VRMs (mid range) according to a spreadsheet I found on Reddit (not the best source but seems pretty detailed etc). I think it should be able to work well with the board but just don't expect to be able to overclock (much, if at all)

Soldato
i've been reading a bit on reddit about people having trouble, but others not. I had ordered a b450 tomahawk for my 3900x but upon reading of people struggling with that combo, have decided to return it and have a asus 570 pro coming tomorrow. Costing about 150 more but i honestly just wanted peace of mind, plug and play and a bit more future proofing. Hopefully you'll be fine though, good luck!

Associate
OP
It seems like the Asrock B450 Fatal1ty doesn't have the best VRMs (mid range) according to a spreadsheet I found on Reddit (not the best source but seems pretty detailed etc). I think it should be able to work well with the board but just don't expect to be able to overclock (much, if at all)
So if I want overclock what board to go for

Associate
So if I want overclock what board to go for

On B450? I'd only really trust the MSI B450 Pro Gaming Carbon.

The B450 Tomahawk is a close second, but the heatsink on that is slightly smaller than the Pro Gaming Carbon so if you want to overclock the 3900x then I'd rather have the larger VRM heatsink.

Soldato
On B450? I'd only really trust the MSI B450 Pro Gaming Carbon.

The B450 Tomahawk is a close second, but the heatsink on that is slightly smaller than the Pro Gaming Carbon so if you want to overclock the 3900x then I'd rather have the larger VRM heatsink.
I'd agree with this though on both the Carbon and Tomahawk I'd monitor the VRM temps and having good airflow in that area might still be a good idea. Both have Flashback which is great as only the latest bios has support for 3900X which might not be installed on older stock.

Caporegime
there are new 450 boards incoming within a few weeks. id wait. thats why all the 450 and 470 deals are on. they have bigger bios chips to handle the new issues.

Soldato
According to the mentioned spreadsheet found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Your current motherboard is borderline and would probably need some extra cooling over the VRM's.
When you do eventually get hold of a 3900X I would at least try it in your current motherboard and monitor the VRM temps. So have your current temps for a baseline to compare with the 3900X.

Caporegime
450 boards are budget boards. 3900x is not. also with the new 450b max boards out within 2 weeks just wait and see if they improved the vrms. but..as said 3900x isnt a budget chip. balance components.

Associate
OP
According to the mentioned spreadsheet found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Your current motherboard is borderline and would probably need some extra cooling over the VRM's.
When you do eventually get hold of a 3900X I would at least try it in your current motherboard and monitor the VRM temps. So have your current temps for a baseline to compare with the 3900X.
Whats an acceptable temp for the VRMs, mine are running 40deg C

Associate
Whats an acceptable temp for the VRMs, mine are running 40deg C

Above 100c. Just keep them below 80c. Should be doable if you keep the cpu at stock or turn the SMT off when not needed. Issue with that is you might lose sleep function. Can you even do that with Ryzen Master?

Pointing the top and rear fans toward the motherboard might help cool the vrms too.

Back
Top Bottom