• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 5 3500X / 3900 (non-x) ???

6 Core / 6 Thread
3Mb L2 Cache
32Mb L3 Cache
65w TDP

Essentially an 3600 but with SMT disabled.

The main reason it is interesting is because it's cheaper than the 3600 (£129 appox)
But it also appears to have better minimum frame rates in many of the gaming benchmarks.

The only problem is availability.
It's not officially available in the UK, it has to be imported.

What do you guy's reckon?
New budget gaming CPU king?

Last edited:
Associate
As you say the problem is availability and as a China only oem product by the time you get it here you would probably have been better off buying the 3600. A bit of a shame though as it would have been a good budget offering at the price.

Permabanned
Nope, but still, does not appear to impact gaming performance by much looking at the benchmarks.

it is shown that games like cores and not just threads, thats why the 9700k is better than 9900k for games

just watch the video and it nice the see mt 9440f killing it, when i got the i5 i was told i was stupid, it was cheaper than the 3600, but i was told the 3600 will kill it easy.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are buying the CPU on its own, OEM style they are shipped in small boxes or very small padded envelopes with a pin protector fitted. Small chance of it being caught at customs. Last processor I bought they'd listed it as spare parts, with a $21 value I didn't ask btw. :)

Soldato
I could bring some in but we were an AMD partner they’d not want us selling it. :(

You should appeal to your rep from AMD.

I think we all know why they don't want it in the UK, it is too cheap for what it offers, and will drive sales away from the R5 3600, and the cheaper to build R5 2600/X. Yet it would put the final nail in the coffin for Intel at the budget end <£150, but the R5 2600/X almost do that now.

I think that AMD need to at least consider allowing it in OEM builds, or SI builds in the UK. I'm pretty sure there are already a few I have seen with it in, but they could be using imported grey stock.

It's a strange place to be in for AMD, and the consumer. Import a CPU for ~£90 that performs almost as well as one at ~£180, or just suck it up and use £90 of your budget that could have been going towards a better GPU and/or nice big NVMe SSD etc.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I dont think chips without SMT should exist in this day and age tbh

Back
Top Bottom