• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Associate
Could be, but if you can be bothered I'd take it all apart and reinstall it.

Yeah - I've ordered a replacement motherboard - gonna have to take it all out to install it anyway so a little later today I'll be testing the MB with just the PSU + RAM - I'm not holding out much hope but never say never right? :)

Associate
Well, both CPU's worked (briefly) but only with the CPU cooler resting on top of them - the moment I tightened it down (even just finger-tight) the board posted a CPU error - definitely seems like the motherboard (or at least, the socket).

Soldato
I knew you’d cave. :D
Lol, yes I wasn't sure how many AMD will produce and it's good enough to last me 3-5 years on AM4 do well worth buying. Just need a decent GPU now. I think as GPU speed increases it will look even better compared to its peers.

Edit: Just had a DPD update. My Monday delivery is now arriving this afternoon, bit of a bonus :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
I hit 78c in CB20 with my Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280.

Might look into the larger version.

I haven't seen 4.5GHz yet.
See my post in the other thread.

Max all core boost frequency will be 4.450Ghz with lower temps. The boost frequency starts dialling back a little as the temp climbs.

I achieved a locked 4.450Ghz in CB23 with PBO Tuner 2 and setting all cores to -30 curve optimizer negative offset.

Gaming was not affected as I was already locked at 4.450Ghz in that scenario, however now temps have dropped 10c or more in gaming too, as well as power draw.
Lol, yes I wasn't sure how many AMD will produce and it's good enough to last me 3-5 years on AM4 do well worth buying. Just need a decent GPU now. I think as GPU speed increases it will look even better compared to its peers.

Edit: Just had a DPD update. My Monday delivery is now arriving this afternoon, bit of a bonus :cool:
That's a bit of luck! :cool:

Soldato
I'd very much appreciate a report from anyone who plays fallout 4 or similar, on how the 3D handles the game.
Already asked LtMatt in @CAT-THE-FIFTH's 5800X3D review thread to volunteer to run the benches in CAT's Fallout 4 benching thread, so hopefully we'll see some posts there.
Any other 5800X3D buyers are welcome to post their results there too!

Someone has run it in the Fallout 4 benchmark thread:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/35574413/

dT09t1p.png

Last edited:
Soldato
The Eagle has landed :D Just need to find time to install, need some wiggle room as this machine is also used for work with couple of VM's on it.

Soldato
Got a 2080ti and game on an ultra wide. Probably going 5900x but just looking to see if there are benefits over each

Definitely an advantage to the 5900X if you do any kind of production. Whilst there is some benefit to be had now, I see the real benefit for gaming to be with future more powerful GPUs. If you just do gaming and intend to buy a new faster GPU the 5800X3D is worth it. If you do other things and don't expect to get a new GPU anything soon a 5900X might be a better option.

Associate
If i buy new Zen 3 cpu, i would get 5800x3d, performance gain in minimum framerates are excellent, and 8 core Zen 3 is enough for many production workloads.

Back
Top Bottom