• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Soldato
Only reason I upgraded to the 5800X3D is that I want to keep this PC until Zen 5 as I have no intention of doing a full system upgrade for a long time and the 5800X3D should serve me great until then.

Just noticed you sold a 5800x3D in the MM (quite cheaply too for a new chip). Did you buy two or have you decided not to keep it ? The description suggests you have.

Associate
Yeah I chose to sell it on for various reasons. Nothing wrong with the CPU, just theres a more ideal CPU I have access to for what I want to do and to be honest it was an impulse buy at the time. And I sold it cheap because 1 ) i wanted a quick sale and 2 ) I wanted it to go to someone who would make the most of it which is why I sold it on the MM. Other than my reasons, the chip was fantastic!

Soldato
Yeah I chose to sell it on for various reasons. Nothing wrong with the CPU, just theres a more ideal CPU I have access to for what I want to do and to be honest it was an impulse buy at the time. And I sold it cheap because 1 ) i wanted a quick sale and 2 ) I wanted it to go to someone who would make the most of it which is why I sold it on the MM. Other than my reasons, the chip was fantastic!
Jus out of interest what cooler were you using? You mentioned cooling issues in your listing on the MM.

Associate
NH-D15s however because of ASD I have hypersensitive hearing as well as other hypersensitive senses which means I need to tightly control the amount of noise that my PC makes which basically limits the cooling ability I am able to supply to any CPU

Soldato
NH-D15s however because of ASD I have hypersensitive hearing as well as other hypersensitive senses which means I need to tightly control the amount of noise that my PC makes which basically limits the cooling ability I am able to supply to any CPU
I have the same cooler (using two fans) and I really like having a quiet PC (I am able to run a very relaxed fan profile with my 3900X and still keep it cool).

Was it just hot and loud in stress tests or in games too?

Soldato
How are you getting on with your 5800x3D @varkanoid ?

Bit disappointed in the non gaming performance plus its hit my Timespy benchmark score a bit. Running Cinebench R23 it was hitting 90c so I've changed my case to update my cooling as I didnt have space in my Fractal Meshify but the case I bought it would fit a 360mm Radiator but due to my 6900xt it would not fit so I settled for the Arctic AIO 280mm. It got good reviews but its AIO simplicity is not to my liking as you cant change the fan speed in the BIOS or without adding some hardware so I`m thinking about swapping it for the Corsair 115i 280mm I just put in my sons. He wont know. Then I hit another snag where putting the 280mm in the roof one of the fans wont fit due to my CPU power leads so I've got one 140mm fan inside as a pull and the other 140mm on the outside adjacent in a push. Unless I can find a 140mm 10/12mm fan it will have to stay like that. Starting to think why did I bother but it will come good in the end. The Arctic 280mm is quite a deep/wide radiator which I didnt reckon on and the Corsair one is actually smaller so it might fit better.

Now its idling 27/28c (my 5800x was 29/30c) and under Cinebench R23 it maxes at 78c which is about where my 5800x was. I did play with undervolting it and it runs fine on 1v (-0.225 offset) and 4ghz which makes it even cooler but I`m happy with leaving it at stock. It does all cores at 4.45ghz and I've been playing GTA V Online a lot recently and its running at 46/48c in game.

I've no plans to go DDR5 or 7xxx AMD so I've got the best AMD CPU for AM4 that I want and I`m happy.

Soldato
I got rid of my 5800X3D due to the loud noise of the fan caused by the high temperature.

The 5800X3D has a bottleneck for heat conductivity/dissipation. Not even a high-end cooling system can tame it. (Think about an Intel 7700K without de-lidding.)

AGESA 1.2.0.6b doesn't provide official ECO-mode via PBO, and I don't want to fiddle with manual undervolting or third party software.

The 5800X3D offers a huge gaming performance boost over the 5700X, but I don't want to compromise quietness, therefore I have chosen to keep the 5700X in the end.

Funny numbers - the 5800X3D usually draws less power even than the 5700X in games, yet the temperature is easily much higher, for the same setup and the same games.

Associate
As I posted on the other page its due to the silicon being split into 4 pieces and not actually one big solid piece and thus thermals will be worse than the stock 5800X. I suspect the 5800X3D is more of an experiment for AMD than a full replacement for the 5800X

Soldato
I'm just running a manual fan curve in the BIOS and letting it run hotter. It only seems to be synthetic tests that really push it to the high temperatures. Gaming is the hardest thing mine will have to contend with so shouldn't be an issue for me. I've also got some scope to improve cooling as I'm only on a 240mm radiator.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Bit disappointed in the non gaming performance plus its hit my Timespy benchmark score a bit. Running Cinebench R23 it was hitting 90c so I've changed my case to update my cooling as I didnt have space in my Fractal Meshify but the case I bought it would fit a 360mm Radiator but due to my 6900xt it would not fit so I settled for the Arctic AIO 280mm. It got good reviews but its AIO simplicity is not to my liking as you cant change the fan speed in the BIOS or without adding some hardware so I`m thinking about swapping it for the Corsair 115i 280mm I just put in my sons. He wont know. Then I hit another snag where putting the 280mm in the roof one of the fans wont fit due to my CPU power leads so I've got one 140mm fan inside as a pull and the other 140mm on the outside adjacent in a push. Unless I can find a 140mm 10/12mm fan it will have to stay like that. Starting to think why did I bother but it will come good in the end. The Arctic 280mm is quite a deep/wide radiator which I didnt reckon on and the Corsair one is actually smaller so it might fit better.

Now its idling 27/28c (my 5800x was 29/30c) and under Cinebench R23 it maxes at 78c which is about where my 5800x was. I did play with undervolting it and it runs fine on 1v (-0.225 offset) and 4ghz which makes it even cooler but I`m happy with leaving it at stock. It does all cores at 4.45ghz and I've been playing GTA V Online a lot recently and its running at 46/48c in game.

I've no plans to go DDR5 or 7xxx AMD so I've got the best AMD CPU for AM4 that I want and I`m happy.
Teething issues, always a pain. It'll come good as you said once you get all that sorted.

Soldato

The AF II only needs a 3 quid fan splitter if you want to run the fans separately and is still quite minimalist compared to the rats nest of cables you have on some AIOs.

Soldato
I've also got some scope to improve cooling as I'm only on a 240mm radiator.
It's marginal improvement once the cooler surpasses a certain scale. The bottleneck is heat conductivity/dissipation underneath the lid. In other words, you won't get much better results than a basic air cooler which can handle 105W TDP.

Soldato
I got rid of my 5800X3D due to the loud noise of the fan caused by the high temperature.

The 5800X3D has a bottleneck for heat conductivity/dissipation. Not even a high-end cooling system can tame it. (Think about an Intel 7700K without de-lidding.)

AGESA 1.2.0.6b doesn't provide official ECO-mode via PBO, and I don't want to fiddle with manual undervolting or third party software.

The 5800X3D offers a huge gaming performance boost over the 5700X, but I don't want to compromise quietness, therefore I have chosen to keep the 5700X in the end.

Funny numbers - the 5800X3D usually draws less power even than the 5700X in games, yet the temperature is easily much higher, for the same setup and the same games.
This is the main thing putting me off. Although I suppose I could just use a relaxed fan profile and let it run hot or try to undervolt (not guaranteed).

Last edited:
Soldato
Teething issues, always a pain. It'll come good as you said once you get all that sorted.

The AF II only needs a 3 quid fan splitter if you want to run the fans separately and is still quite minimalist compared to the rats nest of cables you have on some AIOs.

Looking at the Cosair it wont fit either. Never mind - I can stick with the Arctic okay. Also I thought about the Fan Header cable but decided against it running them at 100% its still quieter than my case fans.

With regards to the temperature argument, ie its too hot too loud, I dont agree if you put some thought and effort in it runs cooler than a 5800x. All I've done is go from a 240mm AIO to a 280mm AIO and its cooler than my 5800x and as quiet if not quieter.
What I have read though particularly in the Arctic manual it has an additional set of holes for Ryzen 5xxxx CPU's to alter the alignment of the contact plate for optimised cooling of the 5xxx CPU so it could just be other coolers are not positioned right for correct contact.

Caporegime
Looking at the Cosair it wont fit either. Never mind - I can stick with the Arctic okay. Also I thought about the Fan Header cable but decided against it running them at 100% its still quieter than my case fans.

With regards to the temperature argument, ie its too hot too loud, I dont agree if you put some thought and effort in it runs cooler than a 5800x. All I've done is go from a 240mm AIO to a 280mm AIO and its cooler than my 5800x and as quiet if not quieter.
What I have read though particularly in the Arctic manual it has an additional set of holes for Ryzen 5xxxx CPU's to alter the alignment of the contact plate for optimised cooling of the 5xxx CPU so it could just be other coolers are not positioned right for correct contact.
Use the offset method, it knocks a few more C off temps. I am not using it at the moment, but when I can be bothered I intend to take mine apart from redo it, as well as my liquid metal application.

Back
Top Bottom