• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Soldato
With the price drop does it make sense to swap / side upgrade from a 5900x if I'm gaming at 3840x1600 on a 3090?

When I was gaming on the same resolution monitor only a few days ago prior to swapping it still made a difference in several games especially online games.

FFXIV Online and WoW saw a very nice performance improvement.

Soldato
Maybe an idea at at least quantify that with figures/percentages or similar. Otherwise it sounds really anecdotal/subjective.

I'm actually in the middle of uploading the FF Endwalker bench video comparing a 5800X and 5800X3D side by side, The benchmark is very indicative of actual ingame performance.

Soldato
On a side note comparing the stock AMD plastic clip mounting method to the newer Corsair full metal bracket with 4 screw down points, While watching youtube at 4K with discord open, Steam etc... the CPU would hover around the 51'c mark, With the same ambient in the room my PC is in the same apps, Even the same video at 4K the CPU is hovering around the 42'c mark, That is a huge difference.

I'm glad AMD won't have those cheap crap plastic mounting clips for the next gen as I can pretty much guarantee the "OMG AMD IS HOT" memes of the last few years are down to crappy mounting pressure due to those cheapo plastic clips.
Not something I've ever thought about. Got an EK AIO that has their excellent fitting system. Makes sense to get the most out of the things though.

Soldato
Not something I've ever thought about. Got an EK AIO that has their excellent fitting system. Makes sense to get the most out of the things though.

AMD should've been adamant to vendors like Corsair, Arctic, EK etc... from the start to not use their plastic clips but to use a 4 point mounting system as it does make a fair chunk of difference to idle and load temps.

Soldato
Thanks, looking forward to seeing it! Can you please also do 4k resolution at max details? :)

First video is live, Net was out most of yesterday so couldn't upload anything, 4K version will come later, As a side note I ran the benchmark again but this time with a -30 offset in the PBO2 tuner tool and got a smidgen over 34,400 as opposed to 33,829, I'm guessing ReLive also contributed to an ever so slightly lower score.

Caporegime
First video is live, Net was out most of yesterday so couldn't upload anything, 4K version will come later, As a side note I ran the benchmark again but this time with a -30 offset in the PBO2 tuner tool and got a smidgen over 34,400 as opposed to 33,829, I'm guessing ReLive also contributed to an ever so slightly lower score.

Good Grief.... there is little difference when there not much going on, but the fight scenes, i was seeing frame rates of 60% higher on the X3D.

This sort of stuff.... holy crap!

plRJvbL.png

Associate
Was there ever a motherboard that was able to put this into ECO mode (65w)?
Certainly Gigabyte boards can do it via setting the Package Power Limit Control This works well on my Auros Master.

Package Power Limit Control is found in AMD CBS > NBIO Common Options > SMU Common Options > Package Power Limit Control. Change from auto to manual, and enter "87" if you want it to function exactly like the standard 65W Eco mode.

Back
Top Bottom