• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D retail processor has been tested ahead of launch

Soldato
Because all rumors say that Zen 4 will destroy RPL even without 3d cache so it is logical that AMD won't release special version if not needed.
Destroy would be at least a good 15%+ faster in everything for me, though some would say destroy even if it's only by a few %.

Another way of looking at it is if they did release the first Zen 4 chips with 3D cache they would likely get major sales if they had such a lead.

Associate
It's not pointless when that's the only way to show the true difference with current GPUs. New GPUs coming out this year are rumoured to be twice as fast or even more and then this will matter at much higher resolutions too.

Also, 1% lows will show a bigger difference.

who is going to game at 720p and the lowest settings with this cpu and a 3080ti. tests at 1080p; 1440p and 4k are the only ones that matter.

Caporegime
If that is indicitive of how it pewerforms accross multiple titles its a winner, hell even if it looses out to the 12900KS bya couple frames at neraly half the price it will be a winner. Wonder what the usual suspects will come up with then to complain about......

Dave2150 will flop back to "CPU performance doesn't matter because everyone is GPU limited". He oscillates wildly between needing ULTIMATE GAMING POWA!!!! and barely needing a CPU at all depending on who is in the lead.

Associate
who is going to game at 720p and the lowest settings with this cpu and a 3080ti. tests at 1080p; 1440p and 4k are the only ones that matter.

The point is not that people game at 720p, the point is how will the CPU scale with more powerful GPUs.

In my case I intend to buy and keep a 5800X3D for 5 or more years. That is probably 1 maybe 2 GPU upgrades before I buy a whole new platform so having the fastest CPU in 720p now means when I upgrade GPUs I won't be CPU bottlenecked at 1440p or maybe 4k in the future, especially if I decide to go for a top end GPU in the future rather than a mid range one.

Soldato
Did you miss my point about the 4080 TI being twice as fast as a 3080 TI and it therefore would be CPU bottlenecked at higher resolutions than 720P? I personally would be buying this CPU in preparation for the 4080 TI not the 3080 TI.

Soldato
Did you miss my point about the 4080 TI being twice as fast as a 3080 TI and it therefore would be CPU bottlenecked at higher resolutions than 720P? I personally would be buying this CPU in preparation for the 4080 TI not the 3080 TI.

Err there is no IPC uplift with this, just a bigger cache and not all games benefit from it and most that do, do at lower resolutions and settings. It might even fall behind at 1440p and above.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Associate
720p ha ha ha ha pointless test.
You need to learn and understand how CPU Game benchmarks works. Yeah the difference will be smaller in higher resolutions but it wont magically reverse the results in your, i mean Intels favour

Intel shills about to go into meltdown

They already have, i wondered what their excuse would be, seems 720p is their answer. Personally i expect it to trade blows and be over all on par with teh 12900KS which will just go to show what innovation can do instead of the repeated clock bumps. Queue the onslaught

As already stated teh difference will just be smaller. Either way big difference in price from 12900KS to 5800X 3D and almost teh same FPS in high resolution games by the look of things

Last edited:
Soldato
The great thing about 720p tests is that it immediately exposes both the ones lacking in basic intelligence & those who want to argue in bad faith. Cleans the forum right quick and makes it much more usable. ;)

Soldato
Firstly, 720p or 1080p and ultra low settings are still good resolutions and settings to test absolute CPU performance. Secondly, they are not realistic settings as no one who owns the product will run these settings so don't put too much faith into it - wait for reviewers who will test more realistic scenarios.

The way I've always looked at it is that the 720p performance is the game performance you'll get at 1440p in a few years not the 1440p perf You'll get today and but years from now. So these are still valid benchmarks people just need to understand what they are looking at, you are seeing that the CPU has extra performance headroom that it may not need or be able to use at high resolutions today but it will be there in the future

Soldato
Firstly, 720p or 1080p and ultra low settings are still good resolutions and settings to test absolute CPU performance. Secondly, they are not realistic settings as no one who owns the product will run these settings so don't put too much faith into it - wait for reviewers who will test more realistic scenarios.

The way I've always looked at it is that the 720p performance is the game performance you'll get at 1440p in a few years not the 1440p perf You'll get today and but years from now. So these are still valid benchmarks people just need to understand what they are looking at, you are seeing that the CPU has extra performance headroom that it may not need or be able to use at high resolutions today but it will be there in the future

Exactly the metric that will decide whether I upgrade or not. Sounds like it could prolong the life of AM4 for a while, at least for gaming.

Associate
Oh wow the sottr results are looking excellent, really wasn't expecting this. Well done AMD, especially if it translates to a fair few other games.

Associate
So an acceptable (but not amazing) productivity chip, with gaming performance that will likely at least match the 12900k. For a fraction of the price.

That could be a real winner in the upgrade market.

Soldato
OP
Ive heard they are running 4800c40 memory on the 12900k... That is just silly

This is a common feature amongst pro AMD fans. @LtMatt can testify to 12900k's being benched with terrible near JEDEC RAM speeds in benchmarks where it's competing against Ryzen 3000 series with much more high end DDR4 (typically 3600Mhz C14 or faster etc, not cheap).

Just something to expect and remember to have to filter through. There will be reviews where they'll use faster RAM on 12900K/KS, as not many spending £600 on a CPU use slower than 6000Mhz+ kits.

Associate

did you miss the point that the 4000 series is not out yet? It is still pointless to test at 720p. It tells me nothing of how the CPU actually performs with current GPU's.

Back
Top Bottom