• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RYZEN 7 aka ZEN NOW AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER!

Caporegime
People need to stop with this bull crap 8 core not worth it bah bah bah we only just using 4 cores or games not even using 4 cores.

Just Shut Up! :D

Remember when quad core would never be good and dual core will always be king!!!! They is already countless games RIGHT now using i7 4 cores and 4 threads and gaining performance over the i5 4 cores, even the high recommended specs state i7.
We even have Devs working on Games with 8 core CPUs has the mainstream "Consoles" Too think that ignoring 8 cores right now and tell someone 4 cores is enough you dont have a clue what you talking about.

This post isn't aimed at an individual! Its just what I reading from here and different forums!

No doubt more cores will be more future proof. However, CPUs with just 4 cores and high IPC + higher clock will still be perfectly good for gaming for along time, just look at these videos...

I would take an i5 over an i7 and put the extra £100 you save towards a better GPU.

Quite frankly to insinuate that 4 cores isn't enough is stupid... as you can see in those 2 videos, it most certainly is "enough" given that it is more or less matching and in some cases even beating the i7 chips...

Maybe dx 12 only games will change things but atm, dx 12 "generally" only seems to be bring a "significant" improvement to people with powerful GPUs and weaker/older CPUs.

GPU will still be the main bottleneck for quite a while, especially for people with resolutions higher than 1920x1080.

As for recommended specs, I always take them with a pinch of salt, they always seem to recommend higher specs than necessary i.e. batman AK, division etc. yet the games still runs superb, even on my old PC/CPU with mostly max settings (usually just AA and shadows reduced if need be)

Soldato
You'll always gain more performance adding the £100 to the GPU instead of the CPU, but don't forget that the CPU will last you a lot longer than the GPU so that's also an added bonus (don't forget, also easier to re-sell GPUs). Secondly, I'd say that same thinking can be turned around on the i5 too. Why buy an i5 when a G4560 is within 10-15% of it but so much cheaper? Ultimately, going crazy on the CPU makes a lot of sense within a certain limit (e.g. £3-400). Today, buying an i5 seems like a very poor decision.

Caporegime
Those games that digital foundry did are probably some of the most CPU demanding games there are (they should have included some of the strategy based stuff and the likes of rise of the tomb raider + division too though)

I still find BF 1 to be weird, as the beta ran superbly for me on my system with a mix of high/ultra settings and you also didn't see the same talk about i7s being better than i5s back then either, likewise with dx 12, it seemed better in the beta than what it is in the current game. I reckon DICE need to do some more optimisation for the game.

EDIT:

You'll always gain more performance adding the £100 to the GPU instead of the CPU, but don't forget that the CPU will last you a lot longer than the GPU so that's also an added bonus (don't forget, also easier to re-sell GPUs). Secondly, I'd say that same thinking can be turned around on the i5 too. Why buy an i5 when a G4560 is within 10-15% of it but so much cheaper? Ultimately, going crazy on the CPU makes a lot of sense within a certain limit (e.g. £3-400). Today, buying an i5 seems like a very poor decision.

Maybe but at the same time, I think when the i5 CPUs start to really get pushed, the same gen i7 owners will also have to upgrade not long after i.e. my i5 750 is needing to be replaced this year or possibly next year but so is the i7 920.

No idea what the performance of the G4560 is like, I am just going by the i5 6600k vs i7 6700k video above and when both are more or less at the same clock speed, they are neck in neck.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had my CPU for very near 5 years and I've added 3 GPU's since then so the money is better spent for me on the CPU considering I already have a 1070, I'm going to wait for the NDA to lift (If product is so excellent why have a NDA?). I wonder what Intel will hit back with though? Will they have something like Sandy Bridge that they are working on, it would put AMD back to square 1...

Associate
This so reminds me of the old days now, AMD about to release another stonking CPU, in the day it was the Athlon and then barton CPU with N force chipset and abit NF7-S M/B when BH2 memory was king lol still got that board in the loft. and here we are again, ryzen going to kick arse intel like they did to northwood cores in the day:D all AMD have to do now is what they did to the GTX-4600ti and release Vega to do what the 9700pro did to NVidia back then, and top of the hill once more for the under dog. I will wait for vega before going with ryzen and then may shift camp to the AMD world once more. I hope vega does the same as ryzen, shake it up!

Very pleased to see AMD on the march, the reviews should be interesting to read. Go AMD its been a long time since red ruled.

Last edited:
Soldato
How many people run games in benchmark scenarios though, it's more likely for most people you'll have other programs open in the background making more cores useful.

Associate
Lets face it.
AMD =The rebellion
NVidia/Intel= The Empire

I was with the rebellion by owning an Athlon XP.
But then I saw the true power of the dark side and never went back!.
:)

Soldato
Intel Allegedly Playing Dirty To Undercut AMD’s Ryzen

http://wccftech.com/intel-playing-dirty-undercut-amd-ryzen/

Charlie Demerjian
Intel PR sent out a last-minute “call us before you write” email to most of the press, but not SemiAccurate, after hours last night. You could infer that they are suddenly really worried about something.

When i read that i remembered watching Linus's Wan show earlier where he discussed at lenght about Ryzen. He spent some time pointing advantages of the Intel platform such as Thunderbolt, Octane and the extra pci lanes. After reading the above I can't help but feel Intel had a little word with him to pass on a few reminders to viewers.

AMD seem to be getting touchy with some of the "press", apparently Jays2cents didn't get an invite to the Ryzen press event. In response Jays next video showed his storage racks by his back wall covered with Nvidia cards from top to bottom lol.:D

Caporegime
With the naughty stuff edited out.....

12345.png

Associate
When i read that i remembered watching Linus's Wan show earlier where he discussed at lenght about Ryzen. He spent some time pointing advantages of the Intel platform such as Thunderbolt, Octane and the extra pci lanes. After reading the above I can't help but feel Intel had a little word with him to pass on a few reminders to viewers.

Should he not point out things that are true? I don't think he was unfair to Ryzen. It's good to temper the expectations of Ryzen. We'll all know the complete picture for sure in a week's time anyway.
I don't think anyone who is aware of Ryzen is going to buy Intel between now and March 2nd whatever channels say.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are there not enough Ryzen threads in the CPU forum that we have to have one in the Graphics card forum?

It's starting to get very messy now.

Soldato
Should he not point out things that are true? I don't think he was unfair to Ryzen. It's good to temper the expectations of Ryzen. We'll all know the complete picture for sure in a week's time anyway.
I don't think anyone who is aware of Ryzen is going to buy Intel between now and March 2nd whatever channels say.

Don't get me wrong I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said, besides he owes Intel a lot given the hardware Intel has given him over the years, it just came across as bit awkward IMO. Your right though the tempering of expectations is a good thing when it comes to Ryzen.

Caporegime
AMD Ryzen XFR and Overclocking demos leaked
Here’s another video from Ryzen Tech Day. This video is still under NDA because it contains some information that will be unveiled on March 2nd, when the embargo ends. Probably the most interesting part is about XFR and overclocking (starts at around 16:10).

So far this is the only video showing Ryzen Master overclocking tool in action (at 19:05). At 19:50 mark the signal from the PC cuts off when overclocking was applied, which either means that overclocking failed or the signal was interrupted by unknown reason. Well.. not a good sign.

https://videocardz.com/66484/amd-ryzen-xfr-and-overclocking-demos-leaked

Associate
(hope I've posted in the correct thread)

Almost sure I'm going for the 1700x and maybe a AX370 K7 board but could you spec me a GPU card.
No games, its for video editing and a few NewBlue effects and I have duel display.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom