• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Says Bulldozer Is 50% Faster than Core i7

Soldato
Yup because seemingly rushing a mobo out with a new chipset without proper validation works soooooo well doesn't it ;)

The simple fact is, if AM3+ boards came out tomorrow, Asus/Gigabyte/etc would be selling them for more than AM3 boards, because they'll have millions worth of boards out at OEM's, and at retailers that all need to be sold.

Yes some people would buy the new £160 Crosshair 58, with 47 pci-e slots and a hexcore Phenom, then in a few months replace it with a Bulldozer, the percentage of people that would do that is tiny, essentially insignificant to AMD's bottom lines.

But then if AMD had planned to have AM3+ available earlier it would appease enthusiasts and would swing a few sales, and gives a genuine interim option thats "good enough" with the option for potentially the best chip on the block to be added in a few months.

It does tend to work that enthusiasts have a HUGE sway on all their non techy friends purchases. Most people I know are aware of how much I know about computers and so the majority of them ask me what to get, if AMD is the best choice, a few enthusiasts can translate quickly to a lot of Dell boxes with AMD chips inside being sold.

Then again in most cases I'd still recommend AMD now as the vast majority of "normal" uses barely need a dual core and value for money is more important tha all out performance, and AMD are incredibly competitive there still.

While I completely agree with the above it would be nice to have AM3+ come into the channel early so people like me who own AM3 chips on a Am2+ motherboard could buy a motherboard that would take BD and allow me to take advantage of the cheap DDR3 prices ATM.
Dont really want to buy ram now while its cheap and have it just sitting around gathering dust as I cant use it. I just hope its teh beginning of Q2 that BD can start trickling out as I want one :D

Back
Top Bottom