• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 258511

D

Deleted member 258511

Yes I understand that which is why I can only look at the 5000 series and how that has been for people on here. I mean I may end up getting a 5000 series yet but again until I know pricing for the new ones I can’t be sure.

What concerns me the most is staying within safe limits and not damaging or degrading anything due to excessive heat. Even the 3090 I have is undervolted due to stock temps being too high for my liking.

Associate
Yes I understand that which is why I can only look at the 5000 series and how that has been for people on here. I mean I may end up getting a 5000 series yet but again until I know pricing for the new ones I can’t be sure.

What concerns me the most is staying within safe limits and not damaging or degrading anything due to excessive heat. Even the 3090 I have is undervolted due to stock temps being too high for my liking.

For your use case, the ideal thing to do is use a curve optimizer and set a negative offset which will effectively move the v/f curve down accordingly.

This will naturally run cooler since you’re altering the ‘get’ voltage of that core at a given frequency.

Of course, this needs to be throughly tested for stability and clock stretching. Unfortunately, clock stretching is still there for zen4 (can confirm) so you need to pay attention to effective clocks is in various workloads. Not just one or two.

Caporegime

You would not find it easy to damage one of these CPU's from heat even if you tried.

I have been running mine for 2 years, i do use it for overnight rendering from time to time, its never let me down and its as healthy today as it was the first time i fired it up.

Beyond that there isn't much i can tell you, you can under volt them, by how much depends on your luck with the silicon dip.

Deleted member 258511

D

Deleted member 258511

My 5800X actually runs hotter during gaming due to the heat output from the GPU, R23 runs around 76c but in gaming it can hit 80c+ and this is in a silverstone RL06 which is one of the best airflow cases for CPU and GPU temps according to gamers nexus so if Zen 4 chips are already hitting 90+ in stress tests then with the new higher tdp GPUs on the way we might end up seeing throttling in games.
Thanks for this info.

At what point would the temps be a concern for you? Seems to be that AMD just runs hotter than Intel. What sort of clock speeds are you getting while gaming at those temps?

Deleted member 258511

D

Deleted member 258511

For your use case, the ideal thing to do is use a curve optimizer and set a negative offset which will effectively move the v/f curve down accordingly.

This will naturally run cooler since you’re altering the ‘get’ voltage of that core at a given frequency.

Of course, this needs to be throughly tested for stability and clock stretching. Unfortunately, clock stretching is still there for zen4 (can confirm) so you need to pay attention to effective clocks is in various workloads. Not just one or two.
Yes this was exactly what I’ve researched, and found that not all can achieve this via the curve optimiser, which seems odd. Do you mean keep an eye on the clocks in case it’s actually damaging performance?

Associate
Yes this was exactly what I’ve researched, and found that not all can achieve this via the curve optimiser, which seems odd. Do you mean keep an eye on the clocks in case it’s actually damaging performance?

Yes. That’s the silicon lottery aspect. What you’re effectively hoping is the stock VID table of your cpu doesn’t need the voltage it was assigned (your default vid table).

No. You keep an eye on the clocks to see if they match the performance they should. On Ryzen if you don’t feed it enough power, you’ll still see a high frequency being advertised but in reality the chip is running at a lower multiplier. It’s easy to do.

Soldato
Thanks for this info.

At what point would the temps be a concern for you? Seems to be that AMD just runs hotter than Intel. What sort of clock speeds are you getting while gaming at those temps?
The single core speed it set at 4.9ghz but during games it mostly sits at 4.8ghz.

I wouldn't want to see temps over 90c.

Don
CPUs have been unveiled - I think all discussion can continue in the main Zen4 / AM5 Thread rather than having 2 near identical threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom