AMD Upgrade

Associate
In the process of selling some bits from my PC for an upgrade

Have a GIGABYTE GA-B350M-GAMING 3 mobo and was looking at upgrading from a Ryzen 1600 with 16GB Geil PC4-19200 2400MHZ memory to the below with the addition of dedicated sound

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £730.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Would this work and any recommendations?

Associate
Yeah, RAM looks good, i think the 8Pack Team Group RAM is Samsung B-die RAM, i don't know why but i know this is the preferred RAM.

What GPU have you got? You may need to put the sound card in the bottom PCIe 2.0 x16 slot to to make sure it does not choke off the air supply to the GPU

Associate
OP
I've had problems with the onboard audio; keeps picking up devices being picked up when nothing has been so thought i'd go down the dedicated route and disable the onboard

Noted! The plan now that the GTX 1080ti mini is no longer available is to upgrade in stages so will do CPU and memory now; then in several months, the GFX and see if any new mobos are out to replace mine

Soldato
I've had problems with the onboard audio; keeps picking up devices being picked up when nothing has been so thought i'd go down the dedicated route and disable the onboard

Noted! The plan now that the GTX 1080ti mini is no longer available is to upgrade in stages so will do CPU and memory now; then in several months, the GFX and see if any new mobos are out to replace mine

You could always do something like this. The R7 1700 is pretty good value now that the 2xxx cpu's are out.

Total: £754.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

I would have suggested this Gigabyte but it is out of stock (Pre order) at the moment.

Total: £138.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

That would solve your audio problems and both boards above have better VRM's.

Soldato
I would be weary of running the Ryzen 7 2700X in a more basic motherboard though. Remember the Ryzen 5 1600 is a 65W TDP CPU and the Ryzen 7 2700X is 105W TDP. Looking at reviews you are easily looking at 30W to 60W more at the wall using the Ryzen 7 2700X. The X470 boards seem to have much better VRMs and cooling than many X370 ones,and the B450 ones seem to have better cooling.

If anything faster RAM and a better cooler will probably enable you to get the most out of your Ryzen 5 1600. Then you can probably re-use the RAM and cooler when the 7NM Ryzen 3000 series is out next year.

Soldato
That’s interesting to know. I’ve actually got some new fans for my Corsair Air 240 to increase the airflow

At least until I can a bigger case and new mobo as know I’m restricted by the micro atx element

A fan placed over the vrm area would help. You would have to get creative though with cable ties etc.

As for matx there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice anyway for solid overclocking boards. Once you go ATX though you have some solid options.

Associate
OP
Good idea although won't be OC'ing from day one

Plan I think at the moment is to go with the new CPU and memory alongside existing. I've already upgrading the mobo to the latest bios version to accomodate

Then, when finances allow - bump to a non M-ATX case such as the Carbide 400C with a new mobo such as the Asus Prime X470 and then in several months; look at the GFX situation

As you say, can then look at better options with a standard ATX board and case

Back
Top Bottom