• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD VEGA confirmed for 2017 H1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
So if a game level has listed 10gb of textures possible, but each frame concurrently uses only 2gb of textures they propose to juggle from the slower storage the 10gb into the 4gb of memory so that it is no disadvantage. Its brains not speed so much, deep learning related ? I dont know how effective but nice if it works.

Deep learning is so hot right now. Gotta get those buzz words in.

It can give you predictive non-linear responses to stimuli, but I fail to see how it can save you memory space. I mean you could load a network and weights trained for each game/workload, but it just seems mental.

My gut feeling is that their deep learning "it is almost human" marketing garbage is due to the strong FP16 performance @ 25TFlops, which is ideal for use with big flippin' neural networks.

Last edited:

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Done what I said, I have gone Nvidia as fed up of waiting and the let down of RX580 and lakc of Vega news.

980ti here I come :)

I can understand being 'fed up of waiting' if it'd got to the end of H1'2017 and still no Vega, but you knew what you signed up for last year when they gave the Vega launch timeframe... it hasn't changed...

Same for RX580, everyone knew for a long time that it was just a RX480 refresh, if you were waiting for Vega why did this have any relevance?

Associate
Done what I said, I have gone Nvidia as fed up of waiting and the let down of RX580 and lakc of Vega news.

980ti here I come :)
Might be a wise choice if you aren't looking at spending more than £300. Pretty sure Vega is going to sit a bit higher than that (HBM2 + AIO cooler etc.). My GTX 980 Ti runs everything at 1440p pretty much flawlessly (you can turn down some settings that don't affect the visuals anyway and enjoy 100+fps in Witcher 3, BF1, etc.).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I can understand being 'fed up of waiting' if it'd got to the end of H1'2017 and still no Vega, but you knew what you signed up for last year when they gave the Vega launch timeframe... it hasn't changed...

Same for RX580, everyone knew for a long time that it was just a RX480 refresh, if you were waiting for Vega why did this have any relevance?
Yeah, a bit puzzling. I suppose a good deal came up for a 980Ti which he could not resist, that makes more sense :)

Associate

What he said!

Soldato
Dawn of War 3 might be one game Vega does really well in! Look at the Fury X there, seems it's utilizing all it's shaders.

196767fc8da94ac8ae59138e95af27a7.png

b2f6473d53a2451293257f178dbd31c7.png

Associate
Dawn of War 3 might be one game Vega does really well in! Look at the Fury X there, seems it's utilizing all it's shaders.

196767fc8da94ac8ae59138e95af27a7.png

b2f6473d53a2451293257f178dbd31c7.png

Too bad the game doesn't appear to be any good. None of the recently released games have lived up to the hype; andromeda was a disappointment, BF1 cost a fortune and had no SP campaign, Battlefront DOA because of the season pass, etc. We seriously need better games. Only game to live up to the hype in recent years: The Witcher 3 (Titanfall 2 - honorable mention).

Soldato
Yeah, if Fury X can do that, Vega will easily beat 1080Ti in that title I would imagine.

I can also see AMD doing their testing and comparison against the 1080 and Ti on Ryzen; especially in the few DX12 games NVIDIA runs like trash on when paired with Ryzen.

Won't be lying about performance then, but will make NV look worse.

Soldato
Too bad the game doesn't appear to be any good. None of the recently released games have lived up to the hype; andromeda was a disappointment, BF1 cost a fortune and had no SP campaign, Battlefront DOA because of the season pass, etc. We seriously need better games. Only game to live up to the hype in recent years: The Witcher 3 (Titanfall 2 - honorable mention).

We'll see, I'll be getting DoW 3 as I loved the series; and crave more 40K content.

I recently played through Space Marine again; game held up rather well.

Associate
We'll see, I'll be getting DoW 3 as I loved the series; and crave more 40K content.

I recently played through Space Marine again; game held up rather well.
Was planning on purchasing it, but then I saw it required a constant connection to Relic's servers for some dumb reason (source). Also it seems like the SP campaign hasn't gotten any love once again. *sigh*

Soldato
Was planning on purchasing it, but then I saw it required a constant connection to Relic's servers for some dumb reason (source). Also it seems like the SP campaign hasn't gotten any love once again. *sigh*

Hmm well I have it set to download once it's live so I'll give it a go. The MP is apparently just DOTA, which is really disappointing.

As long as the campaign is decent, it'll be worth it for me.

As for Vega though, seeing what the Fury X can do in this game does make me a bit more hopeful. Especially in regards to Prey and Vega; I hope AMD's partnership with bethesda works out well.

Associate

Looking at the cost of RX480/580 and the performance difference to a 3 year old card like a 290x its a pill to hard to swallow for £200-£250 range. I would have been better off buying a 290x for £120 and with this in mind AMD effectively offered me no real upgrade from my 7950...I dont want to put in £250 on a card that is 10% faster than a 3 year old card. Being an enthusiast that bothers me as it shows AMD is struggling to be quite honest.

Announcing Vega is all well and good but if they are waiting till June to give us details and release the card with no indication of performance then why should I wait? As we all discussed if its 1080 performance, even if it was £100 cheaper it would still be a £370-£400 card. On balance, a good 980ti will give me a performance in between a 1070 and a 1080 at this present moment in time. Combined this with the wows AMD have had with driver department in the last 2 years of owning two 7950s gave me the feeling of voting with my wallet and going to Nvidia.

EDIT: Forgot to add - RX580 yes was going to be a refresh of rx480. I was hoping that there would be a more substantial increase in performance. Something along the lines of a 15-20% with better power efficiency. I would then consider that as a way forward for a year...didnt happen however.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm well I have it set to download once it's live so I'll give it a go. The MP is apparently just DOTA, which is really disappointing.

As long as the campaign is decent, it'll be worth it for me.

As for Vega though, seeing what the Fury X can do in this game does make me a bit more hopeful. Especially in regards to Prey and Vega; I hope AMD's partnership with bethesda works out well.

It's very interesting to see those charts, if they can unlock that performance by removing the front end bottlenecks that the Fury X had with optimisations in Vega then even with no other optimisations, and at 1050Mhz it should be pushing 1080 performance.

Soldato
Looking at the cost of RX480/580 and the performance difference to a 3 year old card like a 290x its a pill to hard to swallow for £200-£250 range. I would have been better off buying a 290x for £120 and with this in mind AMD effectively offered me no real upgrade from my 7950...I dont want to put in £250 on a card that is 10% faster than a 3 year old card. Being an enthusiast that bothers me as it shows AMD is struggling to be quite honest.

Announcing Vega is all well and good but if they are waiting till June to give us details and release the card with no indication of performance then why should I wait? As we all discussed if its 1080 performance, even if it was £100 cheaper it would still be a £370-£400 card. On balance, a good 980ti will give me a performance in between a 1070 and a 1080 at this present moment in time. Combined this with the wows AMD have had with driver department in the last 2 years of owning two 7950s gave me the feeling of voting with my wallet and going to Nvidia.

TBF,you could also argue the GTX1060 is also sub £300 and in the same place as the RX480/RX580,and I don't disagree there has been stagnation in the £200 to £300 market though as companies have concentrated more on power draw,etc. AMD is not helped by the fact dual card support is patchy in games AFAIK,so AMD can't really use two RX480/RX580 cards to consistently take on the higher end Nvidia cards.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

EDIT: Forgot to add - RX580 yes was going to be a refresh of rx480. I was hoping that there would be a more substantial increase in performance. Something along the lines of a 15-20% with better power efficiency. I would then consider that as a way forward for a year...didnt happen however.

Yeah, so why did you wait all that time then? lol

You waited all that time to come to this realisation?

Associate
Yeah, so why did you wait all that time then? lol

You waited all that time to come to this realisation?
I am not blameless - I should have done this sooner but was always in the hope that the currency market would improve and rx480s would drop so make them better bang for buck. I also had crossfire 7950s and for like 18months on a month by month basis hoping AMD would sort their drivers/lives out.

Make sense? :)

Permabanned
The star called Vega (the real one, out in space) is 25.05 light years away from Earth... so Vega will be released on the 25th of May :p

It's just about as good as anything from Wccftech and they will probably catch on and roll with it.

That sounds about right. :D

I was just about to say too bad I don't play it :D

Last edited:
Associate
TBF,you could also argue the GTX1060 is also sub £300 and in the same place as the RX480/RX580,and I don't disagree there has been stagnation in the £200 to £300 market though as companies have concentrated more on power draw,etc. AMD is not helped by the fact dual card support is patchy in games AFAIK,so AMD can't really use two RX480/RX580 cards to consistently take on the higher end Nvidia cards.
Yes absolutely spot on. If currency markets were better and little less turmoil in the world the 1070s may have fit into that bracket.

Soldato
Overwatch? First new Blizzard IP for a hell of a long time, their first FPS, and it's excellent. Definitely need to play The Witcher 3 at some point, I just dunno whether I wanna play either of the first two beforehand. I remember briefly trying the first one and it seemed so complicated I gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom