AMD vs Intel System, so confussed????

Associate
hi guys im looking for advice, ive used overclockers before to buy my msi gx660r gaming laptop 1yr ago, and its been fantastic overclockers were great too, but its having a hammering with everyday use and im looking to buy or put together a gaming desktop for around 500-600 pounds.

ive read a lot of posts with specs suggested for my budget but im really confussed by the cpu types available. ive seen a system with the following spec for around 510 pounds all in

Amd Fx4100 3.6ghz
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
1tb hard drive
16 gb ddr 1333 pc10660
nvidia gtx 560 ti 1gb (palit)

intel option
i5 3450
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
1tb hard drive
16 gb ddr 1333 pc10660
nvidia gtx 560 ti 1gb (palit)
(610 pounds all in)

Amd spec is very similair to the overclockers Titan 8000a Krypt gaming rig (also under my consideration) and most people in the reviews say it flys through games on 1080p max settings...yet the intel ivy bridge i5 3450 processor is supposed to be much better at gaming...im totally lost in all the cpu's available for my budget...would the amd system i have listed or the Titan 8000a Krypt, deliver a good gaming experience for the cost or would the intel be a better choice, any advice would be very much appreciated.

thanks for reading

Last edited:
Associate
General consensus is that the best AMD chips fall short of the I5 intel chips, its not that there rubbish there just not as good. are you planning to build it yourself of buying prebuilt?

Associate
OP
well ive seen some good systems already built, i can configure so i think thats the route id go down, thanks for the advice, im on a budget, but i dont want to skimp on important components so i5 build it is then.

thanks again for the info.

Associate
OP
Titan 8000i Xenomorph is good, but ive seen similair specs with an i5 processor and gtx 560 ti gpu for the £655 price, cheaper... in saying that though, i know ill be getting a quality product and service...so i supose its a good option, one ill definatley have to think about.

Soldato
Go for the Intel rig.
That i5 and FX4100 are in completely different leagues.

This. The FX4100 is a decent processor, but a lot of games run bad on it, especially the popular Skyrim, an i5 is so much better.

Source: Myself. :p I'm running an FX-4100 3.6 w/ a 6850 1GB. I'd take a 6850 over a gtx any day though.

Associate
OP
thanks for the info omaeka, i love skyrim and definatley want a rig thats going to play it at 1080p with ease intel seems to be the only choice from the above comments. thanks again all.

Associate
you could go for an intel i3-2120 and h61 motherboard.

intel will be a better choice for gaming.

have a look at the Titan 8000i Xenomorph.

The i3 is a dual core processor and isn't overclockable. Even at stock speeds the i5 is faster than the i3. Agreed that this gen of amd processors just don't match up to intel

Associate
the i5 was £100 dearer than the AMD so was looking to put something together than matched in price, and the i5 in the OP isn't overclockable either.

True- just re read OPs post - budget of around £600 he'd struggle to fit that i5 in budget anyway. i3 is best way forward on such a tight budget

Associate
OP
I realise the spec i listed for 510 pounds must have some dodgy stuff in it, simply as its so cheap and you have confirmed the mobo is suspect.. im beginning to think it would be better to save another 100-150 pounds and wait a little longer.

Associate
OP
Right guys i can see the specs ive provided for my budget im not going to get what i want so heres a revised spec i have found and just wondered if this spec was better for just 14 pounds over my budget

Intel ivy bridge i5 3570k unlocked cpu
Asus P8Z77-V-LX motherboard
1tb hard drive
16gb ddr3 1333 ram
Nvidia gtx 560 ti palit 1 gb gpu
750watt power supply
24x dvd writer

£624 all in.

I had a maximum budget of 610 for an intel system but £14 pounds over is acceptable. Is this system a better choice? Thanks you all again for your input and advice or id have bought a right naff computer.

Associate
OP
Right guys i can see the specs ive provided for my budget im not going to get what i want so heres a revised spec i have found and just wondered if this spec was better for just 14 pounds over my budget

Intel ivy bridge i5 3570k unlocked cpu
Asus P8Z77-V-LX motherboard
1tb hard drive
16gb ddr3 1333 ram
Nvidia gtx 560 ti palit 1 gb gpu
750watt power supply
24x dvd writer

£624 all in.

I had a maximum budget of 610 for an intel system but £14 pounds over is acceptable. Is this system a better choice? Thank you all again for your input and advice or id have bought a right naff computer.

Soldato
what make/model/price is the psu.

for that sort of system a 600w ish psu would be suitable for the job and might save some money.

spec wise it looks fine, any reason you've gone for the asus mobo, Gigabyte Z77-D3H would do the job and knock £20 off the price.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It just says major brand psu and its not configurable as the spec i have listed is a pre built unit. Same with motherboard, but reading reviews the mobo has had very good reviews and i suppose intime, should i want a new graphics card then the 750 psu would see me right. I set aside £600 for an intel system, (i didnt realise the gap in performance between amd was so vast) i think £630 would be my absolute limit though as i do want a gaming pc and gaming only it would be used for so the £624 wouldnt be a major stretch ill have a loan coming to the end of its term in a month so ill have a little extra that will see me to £624. There is also a 1 year warrenty all parts covered should i buy it.

Overclockers do cracking bundles too, torn between this and a self build if im honest, bottom line is, is this a good gaming pc for 624? Reviews for individual parts, cpu mobo and gpu suggest yes, i dont think i could build one for much saving with the research i have done.

Associate
OP
Wow thank you for that basket, i was thinking the 16gb looks good, but what can you do with 16 you cant do with 8. I think after reading your post ill be doing a self build, i used to build lots of pc's years ago so it will be good to use something i know ive built myself, thank you again for the work finding those products, ill definitely be buying these items for my build, brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom