AMD x470, B450 motherboard on zen2

Associate
I got my daughter an asus X370 prime pro - and it looks like that has just 16mb. Does this mean that I will have difficulty flashing the bios to allow an upgrade from the 1700 to the 4th gen 16 core (4950)?

Associate
I've seen at least 2 Gigabyte X570 motherboards with 16MB (128Mb EEPROM):

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/sp#sp
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-GAMING-X-rev-10/sp#sp

One of them being the Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi.
oh dear, I have that ITX board on order - there is very little choice unless I go for a X470 or B450. However presumably that there will only be the 4th gen ryzen that will be compatible with AM4? and so upgrading the 3600 in the X570 ITX may not be required?

Associate
oh dear, I have that ITX board on order - there is very little choice unless I go for a X470 or B450.
It seems all the Gigabyte X570 motherboards only have 16MB EEPROMs, so they must be reasonably confident that this is sufficient for them.

Even their flagship X570 Aorus Xtreme only has 2x16MB EEPROMs (1 main BIOS, 1 for backup BIOS). Thanks to @Potatowithearsontheside for pointing that out.

It only appears to be MSI that's having problems with their B450/X470 BIOSes being too bloated to fit on the 16MB EEPROM.

I'm actually still really interested in getting the Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi for myself.

Associate
However presumably that there will only be the 4th gen ryzen that will be compatible with AM4? and so upgrading the 3600 in the X570 ITX may not be required?
The hope is that 4th gen Ryzen will be for AM4, but I'm not sure we've had any official confirmation from AMD on this yet. Hopefully someone else can provide some clarity on this.

Not sure I quite understood the 3600 upgrade question. If 4th gen Ryzen is AM4 socket, then I would expect the Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi to be able to support them with a BIOS update. But there's even still the option of upgrading to a 3900X or 3950X too (although if PC is mainly for gaming then may not be worthwhile).

Last edited:
Associate
Hello just got email from one retailer where i made pre-order for tomahawk b450 max, saying that its gonna be delays with shiping. Considering that im already have others parts for a 4 weeks now, and Max board shiping date its questionable. I wana ask advice for replacment. Wich b450 board has the best compatability with ryzen 3600 processor ? Please dont offer MSI boards. I gonna do bios update with old processor so bios flashback function is not required. Thank you.

Associate
Hello just got email from one retailer where i made pre-order for tomahawk b450 max, saying that its gonna be delays with shiping. Considering that im already have others parts for a 4 weeks now, and Max board shiping date its questionable. I wana ask advice for replacment. Wich b450 board has the best compatability with ryzen 3600 processor ? Please dont offer MSI boards. I gonna do bios update with old processor so bios flashback function is not required. Thank you.

Tier list I used:

https://i.redd.it/7n48gewun0p21.png

Associate
I gonna try to ask more clearly..:
1) I dont have any plans to overclock CPU or Ram, for me its enough to be able run my HX432C16PB3K2/16 on declared 3200mhz.
2) I have no idea what the RAID function is and with what sauce i should serve it, for now i gonna use single ssd, maybe one day i gonna buy a hdd, no plans about m2.
3) I call my mom more offten than i go to Bios ( i call my mom twice a year.. on Christmas and her Birthday).
4) I gonna run 2 case fans, no RGB, i dont worry about fan profiles, and the noise they make, i mean i never was good at sports and never had a fans who supports me.
5) I dont really care about VRM'S and phases, i know that i get 230V 50Hz from the wall socket if i stick my fingers in it..
6) I dont care how many USB 3.1 and USB-C ports it has, can be none..
7) I dont care Intel or Realtek network it has
8) I probably pass on next generation cpu so future compatibility its not required, gonna better buy b550 motherboard later.
9) Sound card? only left side speaker works on my earphones so...

All i want its to have stable system, which turns on when i press a switch on the case, and turns off only when i want, i just want to install my GTA 5 and meet my old mate Travor as soon as possible.

Maybe i should go for Gigabyte a320m-s2h for a 40 quid?

Last edited:
Soldato
That's quite a comedown in price, from a Tomahawk to the Gigabyte A320M-S2H. Any reason in particular why you're suddenly looking at a much cheaper board?

What CPU will you be using?

Associate
the main reason that i already bought all the componets, including table and chair 4 weeks ago. Parts are: Cpu is ryzen 5 3600, gpu rx580, Hyperx predator 2x8gb ram 3200mhz, evo 860 ssd, 650w psu. The only missing part is motherboard. I was planing to go with Msi b450 carbon at first. But all the rumours came about bios isues, lack of Rom memory, POST problems and that MAX boards coming soon and gonna fix all those problems. So i thought i gonna wait for them. But it takes too long. Seeing all those parts laying on the table makes me wanna cry :D So because x570 its to expensive, and there is no advices for a problem free b450 and by seeing this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF8EuEfKH3Q&t= i decided maybe its not a bad desicion to go with a320 at this moment. I can save money now and later upgrade to b550 motherboard i think those coming next year. And If i go with b450 MAX now, there is no guarantee that its gonna be compatible with zen3 or zen4 cpu's in the future and i still gonna need to buy new one. plus nobody knows or those boards gonna work without problems, the first peoples who gonna buy those will be beta testers and i dont wanna be one of them. But the main reason i need motherboard this week. a320 its a low risk i think.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep, X570 is too expensive. I certainly won't be paying those prices. Heck, I'd rather wait for B550 if it there was no current alternative to a X570.

I don't really understand why you think there are no problem free B450 boards. AFAIK, only MSI is having problems. MSI BIOS problems aside, the biggest issue when it comes to other boards, is whether or not the person buying in question, has an older gen CPU to flash with, or whether the board has flashback.

Looking at that video, there is logic to buying a A320 board and getting a B550 next year; heck, even just keeping the A320 until you want to upgrade again. Not really sure if a B550 board will add much over a A320, other than extra features. Going by that video, the 3600 performs just as well, if not a little better in an A320 as X570. As long as you wouldn't need extra RAM slots etc.

I suppose it depends how likely you will be to get the next gen of Ryzen 4000 CPU when they arrive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom