AMD x470, B450 motherboard on zen2

Gee

Gee

Soldato
If you're using Flashback, I'd recommend loading the optimised bios defaults first before going ahead.

Gee

Gee

Soldato
You mean loading them onto the bios prior to flashing the new bios?

No. There's usually a 'load optimised defaults' option in the BIOS. Generally it's recommend to load those first, save and exit, enter Windows then reboot before you flash a newer version.

Obviously this will clear any settings you've got saved (overclocks etc.) so keep a note of them or save them to a USB stick if you need to re-enable them.

Associate
Generally it's recommend to load those first, save and exit, enter Windows then reboot before you flash a newer version.

Thanks for clarifying but for me this won't be an option as it'll be a completely new build and I won't be able to boot into Windows as I won't have a working CPU.

Associate
Darren/anyone else who can help like the other poster I'm thinking of a gigabyte auros gaming 7 x470 mobo for the 3k ryzens.

Do I need something like an athlon x4 950 first to be able to flash the bios? I'm frankly confused on what I need to do, especially with this . If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.

If anyone could walk me through it in simple steps it I'd be very grateful.

Associate
Darren/anyone else who can help like the other poster I'm thinking of a gigabyte auros gaming 7 x470 mobo for the 3k ryzens.

Do I need something like an athlon x4 950 first to be able to flash the bios? I'm frankly confused on what I need to do, especially with this . If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40
2. Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU.

If anyone could walk me through it in simple steps it I'd be very grateful.

For Gigabyte motherboards the feature of being able to update BIOS without CPU is called "Q-Flash Plus". Looking at the specifications of both rev 1.0 and 1.1 of the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi, under the Unique Features sections it only has the "Q-Flash" feature (no Plus):
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-11#sp

Therefore, the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi needs a CPU (or APU) to update the BIOS.

You could buy an APU and install that with some DDR4 RAM and update the BIOS, but I wouldn't recommend this as you'd probably have little use for this APU afterwards and it's not exactly peanuts:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3b0-am.html

Gigabyte actually has very good customer support in the UK, so you should be able to send the motherboard to them and they should update the BIOS for you (you'd probably have to cover the shipping costs). They even have a very active representative on these forums (username: GIGA-Man), so you can reach out to them if you need some help.

If you want to go down the route of updating the BIOS yourself, then drop another note on the forums and I'm sure there'll be someone willing to give you some guidance.

Soldato
@EsaT
doublers have been used for over 10 years in motherboard manufacturing ? and not just PC but aerospace etc because controllers havent existed to handle more channels .

Multi Phase controllers are stop gaps until 16 PWM controller was finally made but even then, we'll still see in upcoming boards these using doublers with 16 pwm- ergo X*99 boards running 28 phases for 64 cores :)

Doublers will stay within the industry - no getting around it . B550 release will show that

happily take asus Strix 10 phases - over any b450 board including the Carbon personally .
Doublers maybe used, but they're not 100% real phases and actually create their own problem.
Because they cause delay in between PWM controller's signal and FETs switching:
https://youtu.be/Y4-78_a33Fo?t=5m5s
That increases voltage under/overshoot when CPU goes from idle to load and back. And if LLC is used that overshoot moves to higher voltage.
https://youtu.be/Y4-78_a33Fo?t=9m20s

Soldato
@EsaT 'maybe used'... they will unfortunately always be used, specially intel side of things . only way to run X299 and Future TR boards.

Aorus may of pushed 16 channel PWM but they'll still use doublers in the future. And then costs, cheaper to have a lot of cheaper mosfets with doubler and cheap controller . Most B550 boards should be 8 phases , either 8 with 4 doublers or 8 in Twin Phase Architecture - aka Asus and MSI . B550 is under heavy lock and key

cost of the new 16 PWM controller. cant get 6 extra IR integrated Mosfets 50amp and 3 doublers - and then the PCB design .

would love the Aorus X570 Master - but Pro will do the job just as fine etc . Gaming X runs 16 cores at stock though PBO isn't going to be anywhere near the Level of the Pro etc

and then no mater how good the board, all is useless is their RMA and customer service is pants and outsite the UK come 2020

Associate
For Gigabyte motherboards the feature of being able to update BIOS without CPU is called "Q-Flash Plus". Looking at the specifications of both rev 1.0 and 1.1 of the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi, under the Unique Features sections it only has the "Q-Flash" feature (no Plus):
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X470-AORUS-GAMING-7-WIFI-rev-11#sp

Therefore, the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi needs a CPU (or APU) to update the BIOS.

You could buy an APU and install that with some DDR4 RAM and update the BIOS, but I wouldn't recommend this as you'd probably have little use for this APU afterwards and it's not exactly peanuts:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3b0-am.html

Gigabyte actually has very good customer support in the UK, so you should be able to send the motherboard to them and they should update the BIOS for you (you'd probably have to cover the shipping costs). They even have a very active representative on these forums (username: GIGA-Man), so you can reach out to them if you need some help.

If you want to go down the route of updating the BIOS yourself, then drop another note on the forums and I'm sure there'll be someone willing to give you some guidance.

Thanks very much for this.

Associate
Thanks, looks good. Is it any good for overclocking?
The ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac has a very mediocre VRM (if I recall correctly, it's a 3+2 phase that's pretending to be a 6+2 phase). This means it's ok for most of the lesser powered CPUs, but you shouldn't pair it with those higher end 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs.

This board also doesn't have load line calibration (LLC), so it's not the greatest board for overclocking.

I actually have the ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac paired with a 2400G and it overclocks it just fine. But if you want a B450 ITX board that'll be better equipped to push 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs to their limits, the MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC is probably the safer choice:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-mini-itx-motherboard-mb-33w-ms.html

If you really need a USB-C port, then I'd look for some kind of USB hub or adapter that has a USB-C port (not looked into what is available, just guessing on this item).

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks an0n and Gee, that is very useful.

No problem. Just remember that none of the B450/X470 ITX motherboards have Flashback+ (or equivalent) feature.

This means you'll need a 1st or 2nd gen CPU (or APU) to update the BIOS, unless it's already been updated to a 3rd gen compatible BIOS version.

Not sure if that's already been pointed out to you, but better say it again just in case.

Soldato
if you motherboard has a back up bios, remember to also flash it to the latest so it'll recognise the 3rd gen ryzen cpu if something goes wrong.

Soldato
I posted this in the Zen2 thread, but I may as well post it in here too. P.S It's not my link, from some dude on Reddit.

jns90zhx3o731.png
Many thanks for that chart which was perfect info for me as I just need a bog standard motherboard that is able to run the 3950X eventually.

Back
Top Bottom