1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Jamin280672, Jul 20, 2018.

1. pmc25

Wise Guy

LOL. Aside from the 'source':

Sense dictates that this is total nonsense. Why would they even tease people with 16 cores if this were the case. And why the hell would they launch Navi so soon if there were supply issues? However good Navi is, they'll never sell as many or make as much profit as with the Zen 2 chips. If they were that severely supply constrained, there's no possible way they'd have simultaneously launched Ryzen 3 and Navi, with availability pencilled in until July the 7th. Nor is it likely they'd have announced the 12 core for that date either (it would have been TBC). Navi could have waited until autumn.

Makes zero sense. The much, much bigger Vega 20 chip is apparently hitting good yields now, and there have been no reports of unexpected hold ups with TSMC 7nm.

Also, what low clocks is he speaking of?

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  2. beany_bot

Mobster

Oh it's fast enough. I'm just dissapointed because AMD seem to be following intel and Nvidia into pricing lala land.
    I earn a very decent wage. But the way things are going this crap is going to price me out of pc gaming pretty soon.

3. N19h7m4r3

Sgarrista

They compared 3700X vs the 9700K in Cinebench, and 3800X vs 9900K in PUBG.

There's also no word or report on the all-core boost yet. Just Boost, they don't even mention the XFR boost.

[​IMG]

4. Potatowithearsontheside

Gangster

Where did you get this "all core boosts are all below 4GHz" from? One of the SKUs has a base of 3.9GHz. You really think it has a base that is also its all core boost?
    Wake up.

5. AMDPower

Wise Guy

shame i wss really looking to buy 16 core cpu:(

so i assume i have to wait for new threadripper stuff, any eta on this?

6. N19h7m4r3

Sgarrista

None at all, not even mentioned. There was a 16 core AMD CPU demo'd at Computex, but seems like Engineering Sample, as it was 4.1Ghz running 1.5v.

7. FoxEye

Capodecina

If you were following the thread before release, a lot of AMD superfans thought the R3 would be 6 core; the R5 all 8 core and the R7 would be 12 core @ 5GHz. It was a pleasant fiction, wasn't it.

8. Potatowithearsontheside

Gangster

It is funny though. If the all core boost is below 4.0GHz then that 8c from CES was on some serious steroids in matching the 9900K.
    IMO, it is very likely that the all core boost is only 0.2GHz below the listed spec at worst. When we get more XFR details at E3 then we'll get a much better picture of what is going on under the hood.

9. Chrisc

Hitman

To be fair, £400 isnt a bad price.

10. Participant

Caporegime

That's a bit nasty considering most people only thought that because of other people's leaks.

Bit of unnecessary schadenfreude going on here. Unnecessary 1. because the new chips even with their new segmentation are going to render Intel obsolete for new PC / old upgrade customers and 2. because it's just a bit weird to gloat so much about other people being wrong and shows a certain amount of insecurity.

11. Besty

Mobster

the whole desktop lineup looks awesome but the 4core and 6core parts on laptop are where this 7nm refresh really needs to shine on their spec sheet.

it does not look to me like they are quite hitting the TDP/Mhz/Core targets to attack intel hard enough at 45w.

12. Perfect_Chaos

Mobster

Ah got mixed up, ok. But Tech yes city are showing the all core boost speeds on their YT channel btw.

13. FoxEye

Capodecina

They argued vehemently that it was "common sense" and AMD would "have to do that" to increase market share.

Adamant they were even before "leaks" such as AdoredTwit.

And anyone who said, "Hold on, they aren't going to bring the same perf as Intel at 50% of the cost" was shot down by multiple posters. Because that's just what AMD was going to do, lol.

So I make no apologies!

14. Stephanie Peterson

Hitman

With regards to the boost.. now i might be wrong here as i currently dont have a zen processor but doesnt XFR come on top of the stated boost?
    Ie if the cpu boosts to 4.5 and you plonk on a massive watercooler xfr will stuff on more mhz? even if its only 50-100 like the 2700?

There may be more stock-ish headroom on these than first thought.

15. Perfect_Chaos

Mobster

It's what tech yes city are showing on their youtube channel, I'm only saying what i see there.

16. ben90

Wise Guy

17. Drollic

Mobster

3800x, hero, 3200 c14 and 1tb nvme for me I think.

18. Stephanie Peterson

Hitman

There has to be more between the 3700 and 3800 than a hundred mhz to justify one or the others existence, could be all core boosts or xfr ect..

Dont think we have heard the whole story yet with these cpu's, there is likely still more to come.

19. N19h7m4r3

Sgarrista

Yeah I wouldn't go with that info, AMD haven't officially listed an all core boost yet, and usually the all core was still above the base clock with the past Ryzen X CPUs.

Otherwise Ryzen really has massive IPC gains, as the All core 9900K is 4.7Ghz, and the 3800X beat it in multi-core Cinebench, and single core.

20. Participant

Caporegime

I asked this and it was pointed out that you get 300MHz more base clock with the 3800X. Still not sure that justifies / explains it.