• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Man of Honour
Well I'm a big fan of white aesthetic with my builds, and that pearl silver on the Aqua would be perfect. The only other white board is the Prime Pro, but I've always seen the Prime branding on the mainstream desktop boards as a compromise.
Rumoured to be $999!

Associate
I'm well aware of that. But it must be mine. :p

What's the ASRock BIOS like for Overclocking? I love the ASUS BIOS, but I absolutely hate the Gigabyte one enough that I'll never buy one of their boards again (unless they fix it).
Am not an experienced Overclocker, i can tell you the X470 Taichi doesnt have the additional PBO level enhancer like Asus boards( sorry cant remember what its officially called )

Biggest gripe has been Bios updates, slow to release and buggy, each one seeming one step forward , two steps back.

Bearing in mind I only bought the 2700x end of November last year expecting bios and such like would be long stable by then, at that time the current Bios had issues with offsets being lost when PBO was set, another fixed that but the EDC limits where not reset for PBO, so PBO didnt boost well unless you opened Ryzen master every boot to apply a higher limit through software.

Eventually there was a beta bios that i had to download from some German retailers old school looking FTP like site ( nowhere to be seen on Asrocks sites ) .

Now we have the 3xx onwards bios for Ryzen 3000 compatibility, but that seems to have cocked up EDC and PBO again, now boosting lower etc. Also read many other options disappeared. I went to 3.1 and downgraded back to 2.0. Asrock then decided you cant downgrade to 2.0 once youve updated, yet i somehow managed it... seems ok, but worrying.

As well as that the 3.xx bios have the worse memory latency issues, although that seemed to be across the board with other manufacturers x470s affected, possibly due to agesa 0.0072 the beta profile for ryzen 3000.

From what I've read re 3.2 still cack, 3.4 has the latest agesa which i'm presuming is no longer beta ( dont know if latency has been fixed) , but seems to be causing boot issues , but not much detail as only out a few days, so waiting to see.

Why upgrade the bios, well if you wanted the latest agesa profiles for improved memory compatibility / speed, you dont have much choice.

Most of my issues have been PBO related and as thats just about as effective as manual overclocking due to very little OC headroom on a 2700x and an advertised feature of 2700x , pretty annoying.

It might be the X570s and 3000s have more headroom to manually OC and PBO / XFR gripes are less important. But Asrock support does not
give me a great feeling going forward, particularly the latest 3xx bios have lost a bunch of options, dunno if they are back in 3.4.

In short, i would not buy another Asrock due to their crappy bios support. The board itself may well be rock solid for overclocking when youve a chip that can go higher. Maybe its be careful what you wish for as it might be the same elsewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
@neil473

Thanks for the post, it's information like that which we need more of when making choices. There's nothing much worse than a buggy bios outside of parts failure, as it can be difficult to identify, not to mention a pita.

Soldato
Indeed. Someone got their wires crossed but this time B die, c die and e die is all good from what we know. B die is being phased out with c die replacing it. E die was different manufacture.

The Samsung B does seem very consistent but carries a reasonable price premium.
The Micron E has been getting good press recently and seems to overclock pretty well at a lower price point, not seen i clocked above 3600MHz on standard cooling but has tight timings. Struggling to find a lot of information online about them though to make a good comparison.

Associate
Oh and Polychrome, their RGB software , is terrible !

Took loads of peeing about to get it to work, again with beta versions and manually upgrading / downgrading the RGB bios because they'd broke something in their install software.

Soldato
There are two CPU configurations for Ryzen 2:
https://www.techpowerup.com/256146/amd-confirms-ryzen-3000-matisse-features-soldered-ihs

They use solder,but notice how the single chiplet CPU that was shown off,had the chiplet offset,and this is centralised,so the single chiplet SKUs won't use a spacer.

c4UtwVgfbXMPrPCN.jpg

Caporegime
Caporegime

So on iGPU performance Intel used 10nm vs AMD's 12nm Zen+, that's fine given that's all that's available from AMD right now.

But, they used 3733Mhz Ram on Ice Lake and 2400Mhz on the Zen+ iGPU.

And Ice Lake was 10% faster, yeah, well done Intel :rolleyes:

With the performance impact memory has on iGPUs Intel used 50% faster memory to get ahead of AMD old Ryzen.

And both parts are 25 Watts, despite AMD's being older 12nm.

All in all, AMD's older mobile architecture looks better than Intel's latests.

even with Ice Lake Intel can't match AMD.

GDkladR.png

DVryPuW.png

Soldato
New BIOS update for MSI Carbon X470, anyone know what this means?

Version
7B78v191(Beta version)

Description
- Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.1
- Support new upcoming AMD cpu.

EDIT.. Nevermind, its the AGESA version.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGESA

Then in March 2019, the third iteration of AGESA, named "ComboAM4 PI", was released, starting at version 0.0.7.0, introducing support for Zen 2-based processors.

caKAqCg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
The Samsung B does seem very consistent but carries a reasonable price premium.
The Micron E has been getting good press recently and seems to overclock pretty well at a lower price point, not seen i clocked above 3600MHz on standard cooling but has tight timings. Struggling to find a lot of information online about them though to make a good comparison.

And this I think is a big point, with RAM prices so low now, and alternatives to Samsung B-Die being much cheaper it seems silly unless you are an edge case user to not be buying something like the Ballisitx Sport LT 3000MHZ C15 16GB which are between £65-75, it works well on B450 with a 2600 so I can't see it being worse on an X570 with 3xxx CPU. As I have said with anything where it is not pre-binned you are taking a chance, but tbh if you are happy to spend 2-3x the cost for a few % in certain scenarios then you are an edge case.

Soldato
There are two CPU configurations for Ryzen 2:
https://www.techpowerup.com/256146/amd-confirms-ryzen-3000-matisse-features-soldered-ihs

They use solder,but notice how the single chiplet CPU that was shown off,had the chiplet offset,and this is centralised,so the single chiplet SKUs won't use a spacer.

c4UtwVgfbXMPrPCN.jpg

i'm afraid the cpu above is not a amd ryzen 3000 delidded look at the ihs for one all current ryzens use a completly sqaure ihs with not cut outs or extra tabs either side, more so looking at the die its self, from what lisa su showed was the core chipplet offest to one side but the whole arragmnet was surronded with resisters and on the picture above there are 7 which can been seen, i would say this chip is throwback to the older 4/5th gen intels or earlier

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Ryan Shrout shenanigans... yeah, i might have guessed.

well he is correct, amd spec for 3700u mem is only 2400, and from what i can tell thats what they get sold at so not really cheating that much, more just not running it as fast its possible to do. but dont forget the majority of the 3700u's will be paired with the cheapest ram so not that much potential to over clock anyways, what will be entertaining is when icelake actually ships what the new 7nm version from amd will do with faster ram.

Soldato
i'm afraid the cpu above is not a amd ryzen 3000 delidded look at the ihs for one all current ryzens use a completly sqaure ihs with not cut outs or extra tabs either side, more so looking at the die its self, from what lisa su showed was the core chipplet offest to one side but the whole arragmnet was surronded with resisters and on the picture above there are 7 which can been seen, i would say this chip is throwback to the older 4/5th gen intels or earlier

found a intresting link to back up

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1416619-i-delidded-soldered-i3-550-works.html

Back
Top Bottom