• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Caporegime
The most interesting aspect of AMD’s new opportunistic power boost mechanism lies in a CPU we weren’t able to test today: the Ryzen 7 3800X. At stock behaviour, the chip’s 105W TDP should allow it to behave a lot more like the 3900X when it comes to the higher thread-count frequencies, at least until it maxes out its 8 cores on its single chiplet, which might really put it ahead of the 3700X in terms of multi-threaded performance workloads.

Associate
From HW Unboxed:

20190707-192828.jpg

Does that graph prove something? coz I have no idea. I just skipped that.

Associate
If going for a 3600 and B450 is it just advisable to get 3200 ram, I wanted to grab 3600 but these motherboards are too expensive and I can't be bothered to wait for B550 to support higher speed ram.

Associate
4k is great for large tv's etc - so if you are gaming on these fair enough - but given we are already in a very small segment as it is......Im not convinced a lot will be pc gaming on such hidef desktop monitors

but fair enough, if you are then 3900 / 3950 when it appears is probably the best option (if not Tr when it appears)
Just like all of Intel's attempts at providing us with a new and improved product.
Difference being that AMD actually got a product out of the door that is almost the equivalent at gaming, but absolutely is a giant leap forward in all other tasks.
I'm all for AMD and redressing the really annoying and skewed CPU market but I've been wanting to buy an AMD CPU again since Bulldozer. I hopefully will be able to again soon.
The 3600/X would be the chip I'd buy with a B450 if I didn't already have 8 cores. I know it looks like I'm trying to **** on the parade but I'm not I'm just a little upset as I'm very bored of the same
PC for four years.

Associate
I have been reading the reviews and just checked both my AMD X370 motherboards. Both support the 3900X. This is awesome news as it means no hassle and cost saving if I want to upgrade to a higher CPU. Pretty sure if I bought Intel at the time I would have to buy a new motherboard to upgrade from then.

Soldato
What sort of temperatures are people seeing from their 3900X at idle?
My 2700 used to idle at around 32-37*c, but the 3900X i got today seems to idle much higher, but strangly, loads lower than the 2700.
This is with a Corsair H100i v2, average room temp of 22-23*c.

Associate
Thing is I made I made a mistake when the 1700/1700x and 1800x launched. The product I should have bought was the 1700x not the cheaper 1700. Everyone said you can overclock it to 4Ghz and have identical performance. Well I ended up with a 1700 that was a rubbish overclocker. It couldn't even do 3.8Ghz at 1.35v and I never managed to get my ram stable at DOCP. I then ended up selling it and buying a 2700x to solve the frequency issue and ram issue. I also bought a new pair of ram sticks (Samsung B-die) just to make sure. Up until last week I still was not able to get stable at DOCP and had to drop to 3133MHz for stability. A new BIOS was released last week and thus far everything seems OK at DOCP. But it always goes like this and eventually freezes. Time will tell.

All I'm saying, is that if it was ME I would buy the 3800x.
You could have tried your 1700 at higher voltage. Mine wouldnt go higher than 3.7. But once i went to 1.38v it was fine at 3.9

Back
Top Bottom