• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
At this point you are though, unless you're someone who gets an upgrade every iteration.

My 4790k is 5 years old, hoping my 3700X will last as long :)

AMD has guaranteed 8 cores as the base line for gaming for the next 7 years so yes that cpu should last a long time

Associate
Lots of things seem to be broken it seems, like the windows scheduler could still not be correct as pointed out by 3900x testing when its jumping across CCX's etc, could be a number of things with the BIOS, chipset drivers etc as well, its a proper mess and your right AMD had enough time to get this stuff sorted for a polished launch, but its AMD and we all know how they like to sabotage their own launches lol

I'm sceptical whether this gets fixed before XB Next release.

I'm pretty confident MS could fix almost all the scheduler issues tomorrow if they wanted to, but XBN release is when their excuses run out because Zen 2 is in it.

For what ever reason, they still seem to be actively gimping AMD, and dragging their feet like a petulant child about slowly, slowly fixing stuff.

As an OS & services vendor losing most of what marketshare they have left in servers, and a lot of people making the jump in workstations, you'd think they'd want to disincentiveise people switching to Linux.

But it doesn't seem like it ...

Associate
https://youtu.be/prAaADB9Kck

This video shows how the features are supposed to work.
It is clear that box clocks are supposed to be hit with normally operating Precision Boost 2, and that Precision Boost Overdrive is supposed to allow above and beyond box clocks.
If no-one is even hitting the box clocks then it is clear that something is not functioning correctly.
IMO, this issue will get resolved promptly, and a whole bunch of reviews will need to be re-run.

PBO supposedly can give 200MHz extra, which only amounts to around 4-5% higher clocks. No doubt, some will forego re-runs since they'd likely only result in margin of error improvement in results. Nonetheless, the difference between being 5% behind and 3% behind is important for some.

Associate
D-6ANpgXUAEvZz1

Bits & Chips chart showing disclosure for Ryzen 3xxx testing versions.

Look at the lack of info on OS version & build numbers. Software versions, GPU drivers & chipset drivers are extraordinary too.

They all have this information and it would be extremely minimal effort to disclose it.

So why aren't they?

Draw your own conclusions.

https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/1147996154224881664

Last edited:
Permabanned
Picked up a 3600, X570 Tachi and some 3600 ram.

Must say I’m a little underwhelmed by this launch I was thinking of swapping the 3600 for a 3700x but think I’ll wait until Ryzen 3 and swap then.

Associate
Like numerous others on here, still very interested in the performance difference between the 3700X and 3800X. I get the segmentation but the numbers suggest such a small difference between the two for £60 its a bit odd (pointless?). I wonder how much difference that TDP rating will make..

As it stands the 3700X looks like the chip for me, unless reviews suggest the 3800X is a complete beast of course :D

Soldato
Picked up a 3600, X570 Tachi and some 3600 ram.

Must say I’m a little underwhelmed by this launch I was thinking of swapping the 3600 for a 3700x but think I’ll wait until Ryzen 3 and swap then.

I've ordered the 3600 and Taichi as well, I felt this offers pretty great vale for money and drop in CPU upgrade options. Got some 8pack 3200 RAM off the MM a little while ago which has been waiting patiently.
The 3600 gaming benchmarks look very impressive and will be a big upgrade on my 3570/3770k system.

Soldato
Like numerous others on here, still very interested in the performance difference between the 3700X and 3800X. I get the segmentation but the numbers suggest such a small difference between the two for £60 its a bit odd (pointless?). I wonder how much difference that TDP rating will make..

As it stands the 3700X looks like the chip for me, unless reviews suggest the 3800X is a complete beast of course :D

From what I've seen on benchmarks, 3700X offers better value for money. I was tempted but the performance you appear to get for the 3600 was just too tempting, if gaming starts pushing 6c/12t for what I play there will be upgrade options in the future.

Associate
I've ordered the 3600 and Taichi as well, I felt this offers pretty great vale for money and drop in CPU upgrade options. Got some 8pack 3200 RAM off the MM a little while ago which has been waiting patiently.
The 3600 gaming benchmarks look very impressive and will be a big upgrade on my 3570/3770k system.

For gaming all the ryzen 3000s look very similar. I keep going back to the 3600 too but i think the extra cores on the 3700x might just make it abetter fhture proof cpu. I plan on making this system last me at least 5 year without changing anything other than my gpu so the extra hundred on the 3700x hopefully keeps is more relevant in the future

Associate
From what I've seen on benchmarks, 3700X offers better value for money. I was tempted but the performance you appear to get for the 3600 was just too tempting, if gaming starts pushing 6c/12t for what I play there will be upgrade options in the future.

That was pretty much my thinking back when I got my 1600, my thinking this time around is I can drop an 8 core in now for a pretty large performance gain and hopefully it will be good for at least 3 years or so. If that works out then this AMD platform will have been incredible value!

The "non-tinkerer" premium.
Other than possibly hitting 100MHz higher clocks, and sustaining boost for longer, the rationale just appears to be "same product, higher warranty ceiling."

Soldato
That's a bit concerning, I was under the impression it was only the 3950x that would require x570.

Watch his review. It's towards the end when he is summing it all up that he says something along those lines.

I think what he was really saying was that if you buy a 3700x (or equivalent) you don't need to get a x570 board to get the most from it.

Back
Top Bottom