• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Is it normal for my 3800x to constantly run at 4.32 to 4.34ghz all cores when idle just sat on desktop with nothing open? also showing a average of 1.45 volts for cpu? this is in hwinfo

i have not changed anything in the bios other than memory profile. 4.34 is an overclock sure for all cores? im confused lol

They aint running at that speed, use ryzen master and go in to settings and enable histogram, that will show you the true clock speeds.

Associate
Don't know if this has been shared here yet.
But you are able to get higher overclocks by clocking your best ccx. Which is good to know. I don't think any bios supports it yet though.
https://youtu.be/M5pHUHGZ7hU

It shows that the early chiplets are bad bins (Rome is gobbling up all the good ones). It looks like 4.5 GHz all core OC's will hopefully become more common as TSMC's 7nm process matures. A reddit user is getting 212 CB15 points in the single core test via CCX OCing to 4.5 GHz: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cefwjg/ty_der8auer_for_per_ccx_oc_recommend_massive/

Associate
Well sorted the annoying fans i think - set them to not spool up until temp gets above 60dg so bellow that they stay 40% pwm. Has not increased temps eigher. Is anyone else seeing cpu temp jump from 48-55 ish a lot while doing nothing?

It shows that the early chiplets are bad bins (Rome is gobbling up all the good ones). It looks like 4.5 GHz all core OC's will hopefully become more common as TSMC's 7nm process matures. A reddit user is getting 212 CB15 points in the single core test via CCX OCing to 4.5 GHz: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cefwjg/ty_der8auer_for_per_ccx_oc_recommend_massive/
That is interesting.
Manual overclock (in Ryzen Master) by CCX, with one CCX having higher clocks than the other. Would apply to all SKUs.

Associate
Is it normal for my 3800x to constantly run at 4.32 to 4.34ghz all cores when idle just sat on desktop with nothing open? also showing a average of 1.45 volts for cpu? this is in hwinfo

i have not changed anything in the bios other than memory profile. 4.34 is an overclock sure for all cores? im confused lol
The cores go to sleep and use hardly any power but every time hwinfo tries to read the speed and voltage of a core it wakes it up and it boosts the speed

Soldato
The cores go to sleep and use hardly any power but every time hwinfo tries to read the speed and voltage of a core it wakes it up and it boosts the speed

This. AMD released a statement about it on Reddit. Basically apps like HWInfo constantly wake the CPU to check the clocks, but once they go to deep sleep they - by design - shut off. Apps like HWInfo aren't coded to properly deal with this, so they continue to report the last known reading (eg 1.45v and max clocks) despite the core actually being off. The takeaway was use CPU-Z and/or Ryzen Master, both of which read the CPUs properly and give accurate readings for clocks and voltages.

Associate
Well sorted the annoying fans i think - set them to not spool up until temp gets above 60dg so bellow that they stay 40% pwm. Has not increased temps eigher. Is anyone else seeing cpu temp jump from 48-55 ish a lot while doing nothing?

My 3700X sits around 53 at idle, resat the cooler a couple of times thinking there must have been something wrong, seems awfully high.

EDIT: Also, cannot get it to boost past 4.2. Where's my other 200MHz?? :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone managed to redeem their 3 month game pass? I have claimed mine on the AMD Rewards site and it says:

Congratulations on reserving 3 Months to Xbox Game Pass for PC! We will update your account and notify you as soon as the content key is available.

Your key will be assigned as soon as it is available.
Release Date: July 01 2019

The release date is determined by the publisher and may change without notice.

Which makes no sense as the release date has passed.....

Soldato
Has anyone managed to redeem their 3 month game pass? I have claimed mine on the AMD Rewards site and it says:

Congratulations on reserving 3 Months to Xbox Game Pass for PC! We will update your account and notify you as soon as the content key is available.

Your key will be assigned as soon as it is available.
Release Date: July 01 2019

The release date is determined by the publisher and may change without notice.

Which makes no sense as the release date has passed.....

I got the same thing redeeming games from AMD when I bought my Vega 56. Some were instant delivery, one took a few hours and one took a day or two. They'll email you don't worry.

Associate
So, does anyone else think these things are a bit toasty? I'm currently jumping between 50-65 degrees, with brief spurts of 68 degrees. Downloading a game on Steam, and browsing this forum. Normal?

Soldato
I've ordered a new case, a 360mm AIO water cooler, 6 fans and 16GB of more memory to accompany my 16GB I currently have.

Hopefully the AIO should help keep the 3900x cool.

Associate
I'm also having high temps while doing nothing, crazy seeing it jump from 35 to 61 in the blink of an eye. I've ordered a Dark Rock 4 to replace the stock cooler now, not so much because of the temps as I'm not convinced it will help much with that, but the noise is doing my head in so I'm hoping the Dark Rock 4 will help in that regard.

Associate
Okay, so Steam definitely gives this thing a workout. I've been re-downloading my library, and have noticed that once the install is done my processor drops back down to between 36 and 45 degrees, with occasional spikes to 50 degrees. This is with Chrome open and doing nothing else but browsing. Furthermore it looks as if all of the cores are being given something to do when said download is active, then sleeping once it's finished. So this is normal behaviour for a Ryzen I guess? Panic over nothing? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom